How to remove the front headlight

Defratos

You’re Dethpicable!!
Reaction score
Website
00626e1.netsolhost.com
Hi guys, just wanted to check how to remove the front headlight, I Know I've seen a guide on here somewhere but I can't find it. I also know there are 3 screws to remove for the headlight to come out but what tool do I need for the bolts? Cause the ones I have don't fit, and I'm not sure what the tool is called.

Is it called a big hammer and chisel?

Reactions: S.
YEah, bumper needs to come off. If your car is a facelift that means roughly the following (based upon Haynes manual)

Front wheels off
Remove front wheel arch linings
Undo bumper screws behind front wheel arch lining
Undo bumper screws on bottom of front wing
Undo bumper fixings across top/bottom of front slam panel
Pull bumper forwards remembering to unplug foglight/headlight washers

I haven't done it myself but Haynes reckon it is a fairly easy job to do - just time consuming.

Edit: Sorry, once the bumper is off you can then get to the headlight mounting screw behind the bumper.

Thanks for the feedback guys, but I was gong to remove the bumper anyway (guess I didn't make it clear in the earlier post). It is an easy job I've done it more than I can count and the wheels can stay on if you've got the right tools to get to the screws behind the front wheel arches. The front wheel arch lining does NOT need to be removed just the first 5 screws and the remaining one at the bottom for the wheel arch lining. Thanks anyway, will try and buy the torx bit

RGS3 said:
I seem to remember a while back that someone wrote that the bumper had to come off - not a quick job. It is a Torx though for the bolts.

See if you can get to this - its for an A4 but must be similar because I'd kept the link from ages ago -

http://www.audi-forums.com/attachme...rosoft-word-removing-headlamps-front-rear.pdf

WTF it doesn't allow me to view this page, even after I've made a membership it says you do not have premission to access this page?? what the hell?

Defratos said:
the link doesn't work but it's cool, I got around to removing the headlight today, but had to use a flat head screw driver for the 3rd screw located in the most retarded position, anyway thanks for the help :beerchug:

Looking to attempt this at the weekend to fit my other Samco Hoses. as a result need to get the headlight out; where abouts are the screws/bolts located?

Also you mention that you did not need to take the wheels off if you have the correct tools, whoch tools would they be?

Cheers

humm ok sorry for the late reply for one, lol just saw the reply. *** for the screw, the first two are easy to see, they sit on top of the headlight, they look like to big torx screw type bolts. (Might be able to get some pics up later on tonight), the third screw is a bit hard to see. The only way I could access it is through a small hole to the outside edge of the car depending on which side your on. Its weird to explain and hard to see, but it looks like all the other bolts. My torx screw extension thing wouldn't fit through the hole (which sucked because it would have made it much easier) instead I got a long thing flat head screw driver which thankfully locked onto the torx screw, and then it was just a matter of un-screwing and trying to catch the bolt before it fell into the abyss that is the engine bay.

Hope this helps

here you go mate, go around to taking a pic:

This is the tool I used, bought it from halfords but I don't think they stock it anymore.
tool.jpg

Here's the diagram showing wherethe 3 bolts are located, hope this clears things up:
diag.jpg

You might wanna zoom in a bit

Outstanding work Defratos. I reckon my dad has one of those so will have to nab it off him. Thanks again.

Question.

After removing and refitting the bumper my headlight is 'jutting out' and not flush like the other side and I can't push it in. Has anyone got schematic of the headlight so I can see if I have missed a clip or something when refitting it in? Checked vagcat but nothing on there. Cheers all.

i was considering doing the mod where you spray the chromey bits black in the headlight...think ill pass if its this much hassle:laugh:

To be honest; it wasn't much hassle getting the bumper off or back on. The only issue I had was refitting the headlight, the third bolt uses a weird clip to hook it onto a bit of plastic to hold the light in and that took a couple of attempts to get it right. It wasn't until I finished screwing it all back up that I noticed the headlight jutting out. - typical!

Took me around 2 hours from start to finish to remove my bumper and headlights and put it all back together.

Torx keys are all thats used if i remember...

I've had my bumper off now so many times sorting out my fmic now, that I can get my car from fully road going, to front bumper off, and both headlights out, in around 5 minutes, No joke.

The front bumper is just 3 torx each side in the arch liner, 2 screws underneath, and 4 plastic rivets along the top edge.

Headlights are a T30 (I think) torx key, I dont see how it could ever be possible to remove the head lights without removing teh bumper, as the lower outer torx bolt is below the line of the bumper

this is a great thread. i will taking mine off very soon. do you think anyone has a got a step by step picture diagram of removing headlights and bumper? this would be very useful if anyone has this stored

Hi guys, I know its a few years to late but I thought ide add my story as it may help someone down the line.

Now what I've done is taken what I wrote on another thread and copied certain parts in here that are relevent to this.

Ive got an 2002 S3 8L and strangely when I purchased it, one headlamp looked brand new, and the other had the cloudy/rough deterioration to it.

So today I decided to clear it up, and I followed this link: 3 Ways to Repair Oxidized Cloudy Headlights with a Headlight Cleaner

I actually found is very straight forward to remove the bumber, as there are 4 plastic lugs under the bonnet which following what I had read on here, screwing a small hook into them. In order to pull them out worked a treat.

now when I got to the light, I realised that the lense could be unclipped from the light unit, which made my life easier as I wouldn't have to faf around trying to get the whole light out which looked to be a pain as I couldn't even find one out of the two bottom screw locations.

Now regarding the lense, I found it took me a while to get through the sticky foam glue stuff which obviously acts as a sealant as well as to ensure the lense stays in place (as well as four clips)

Now i know its already been said but i will stress again as i wasnt told how delicate the chrome finish is on the inside of the lamp unit and on that little bit of plastic trim that comes off inside the lamp. So I decided to wipe the inside with a damp cloth and window cleaner to bring back the chrome look, and low and behold, it came off in my hand....the window cleaner literally dissolved it. Luckily I had only used it on the plastic trim piece and not the actual headlamp unit, as I can just purchase another or spray paint it...but I guesse it requires a very light touch otherwise it comes straight off.

Ive followed all the steps in the link I provided, which was wet n dry paper, polish, and a extremely good buff up with a electric buffer, and it made it much butter (i couldnt see all the diagonal lines on the lamp before and now they are there as clear as day) but its still not good enough as the drivers side one looks like new, which makes the car look uneven....

So I am going to buy a new lens for me light and if anyone is interested in the passenger side lens, let me know...

Conclusion: it can be done and you can take the lamp to bits, its tricky, requires lots of levers and patience and you have to break the seal.

Since posting my days work on a mother thread, someone told me to use a heat gun on the foam part which will release it easier. I'm assuming a fairly powerful hair dryer would do the same trick? As I don't have access to a heat gun.

moreover I never actually managed to get the whole light out (not that I tried that hard) but it would be nice to remove the whole thing.

does anyone know what I could use in place of the foam sealant as when I buy the new lens, ill want to seal it in there with something. I was thinking a kind of silicon gel?