Destroyed by an Astra VXR

peakey

Reaction score
Hi i just had a vxr up my **** on the m6 so i put my foot down in my standard s3. It left me like i was standing still are they that quick. Or is my s3 very slow

Reactions: A3 Sport
Should not be much in it, there 240bhp.. So not too far off a stock S3.... Unless he had something else done, like a remap? That would take it not fat off 300bhp

even a remapped S3 will have difficulty with the VX astra... I know :bye: had a fodder with one from the lights I pulled lengths on him, but some 100netrons per hour he was sailing by me :(

S3 is still a great car, but the Astra's are 4/5 years newer than most S3's, and with similar power, modern technology means the car can apply that power more efficiently despite driver input.

I regularly get overtaken by Micras :)

Reactions: looker89
I went against my mates vxr and we were neck and neck.. mine has a apr remap..

An S3 has no chance against a VXR astra, or a corsa VXR for that matter.

As said remap will help but i wouldnt be holding out hopes of winning even with one

The new ones's would be a bit of a different story, struggle to live with the astra in the dry tho

rodenal said:

As said remap will help but i wouldnt be holding out hopes of winning even with one

a corsa vxr?u must be having a laff.a s3 would be faster than this.a mapped s3 would definatly b faster.a astra vxr?i had a play with one.didnt seem that quick to be honest.but im not doughting they are.end of the day its the driver than makes all differance.

A mate has an Astra VXR with a remap and it is damn quick in a straight line on a good road, when the road is a bit crap say hello to Mr torque steer. The corsa VXR is a 1.6 turbo in something that is very light and 2wd so less losses than in a 4wd S3. Would be an interesintg thing to have a play with.

my mate has a vxr astra and every time we go out he seems to just pull away on straights but conering those cars a poop !

jarvis**turbo** said:
a corsa vxr?u must be having a laff.a s3 would be faster than this.a mapped s3 would definatly b faster.a astra vxr?i had a play with one.didnt seem that quick to be honest.but im not doughting they are.end of the day its the driver than makes all differance.

Corsa VXR's are around 200bhp, light(ish) and 2wd - go race one tell me how u get on lol

i find i very hard to believe the astra wasnt tuned! as iv raced one of those in a mk2 16v golf and kept with it to 115mph it was pulling on me but not by much! and my s3 is with out a doute faster than my old 16v!
my s3 is now 260 bhp and i would happly go against a vxr astra!

I don't think you stood a chance 240bhp 2wd vs 225bhp 4wd, I think its clear to see which would win.

Anyway, who cares - fast cars, but still a vauxhall at the end of the day( I like em tho)

jarvis**turbo** said:

:lmfao:

I did have a 'laff' reading this...that was never in 'dought'

Reactions: CHEZ
Trouble is i see the B?><ARD everyday on the way home that ****** blue paint job cant miss it. Think il leave a bit later from work TILL I GET THE REMAP :hubbahubba:

I reckon my 2L Corsa is proberly quicker than my S3 :faint:

I know which one I prefer driving though :) Not all about speed and i'd rather be driving an S3 than an Astra or Corsa VXR :respekt:

joe6886 said:
I don't think you stood a chance 240bhp 2wd vs 225bhp 4wd, I think its clear to see which would win.

Audi S3 1415kgs 0-60 6.6s, 0-100 17.5s

Astra VXR 1393kgs 0-60 6.7s, 0-100 16.7s

*Evo's figures

but its still a vauxhall remember vauxhall did invent the nova,:puke2:

ChriS3 said:
That's why I quoted Evo's tested figures, not manufacturers claimed figures ;)
****** Vauxhall,quoting it to be quicker than it actually is.:asskicking:

Oh I see. Its like this is it.

No-one madly disagreeing once they see the Evo figures for S3 compared to VXR.

But my 1225Kg FWD at 255Bhp isnt good enough, massive calls of disgust when I say my A3 is quicker than remapped S3's.

Bah. Heathens.

Reactions: Viking
Dave_Bayern said:
S3 is still a great car, but the Astra's are 4/5 years newer than most S3's, and with similar power, modern technology means the car can apply that power more efficiently despite driver input.

I regularly get overtaken by Micras :)

I really do struggle with your posts sometimes, go try driving an Astra VXR then try spouting that same crap that it gets the power down better than an S3 they torque steer all over the place.

On the road there isn't much in it between a good mates Astra and my bog standard 210bhp S3 that's nearly 8 years old. I get get the power down my quicker out of corners and would wonder away with no trouble in the rain. His just has the edge in a rolling drag race on a dry well surfaced road.

Evo say the Astra is faster too. I'd believe the motoring magazine with the means to test the cars to their full limits a TINY bit more than 'you and your mate'.

Did you even read the other posts in this thread?

okay, those evo figures, just up there, shows the S3 is better off the line to 60, then looses out after that (almost certainly because of transmition losses) to 100 by less that a second. You do realise how little that is in the real world, with two human drivers that don't get every change exactly spot on?

And not wishing to repeat myself the Astra is **** at getting the power down in anything but perfect conditions in a straight line. That means in the little place I like to call the "real world" there is **** all in it in the dry and I think it's safe to say it'd be an easy call in the wet.

I'd be more worried by a well driven 172cup than one of those.

1225kg for your 18t now Dave is it? I thought it was 1080kg when you built it !!!

How many pies you hiding in the boot!!>??

simch said:
1225kg for your 18t now Dave is it? I thought it was 1080kg when you built it !!!

How many pies you hiding in the boot!!>??

1080?
Hell...a Polo weight in at that...never mind an A3!
Not a chance...12-1300 is about right.

My mate has a fully stripped Mk3 Golf and I bet it's still 1200 with all the interior out of it.
A3s & Golfs aint light...

Dave_Bayern said:
Evo say the Astra is faster too. I'd believe the motoring magazine with the means to test the cars to their full limits a TINY bit more than 'you and your mate'.

Did you even read the other posts in this thread?

Ahh yes...but how many actual owners do 'road test' starts?
6000RPM and dump the clutch with little care for the gearbox, diff or clutch?

The on-road performance will likely be closer to what the majority of owners do with their car...let's be honest about that.

1080 is stamped on the chassis body, which I didnt believe so I got it on a weighbridge, hence the 1225Kg.

Plus, google the Kerb weight of a 1998 A3, you see its FAR lighter than you expect and 100Kg lighter than the Golf of the same year.

I did point this out at the time....

rodenal said:

the corsa vxr are faster than the astra ..

depreciating!!

Actually I quite like the look of those little corsas, dontt hey have an "overboost" button or something too>??
But I'd possibly rather go for a Polo GTI with the trusty 18T on board if I were in the market for a pocket rocket! Now one of those with an IHI on!! llol