Destroyed by an Astra VXR

To be fair I have a couple of friends with Astra VXR's and the engine is pretty damn good from the factory and can be made exceptional with tweeks. However, their biggest chink to their armour is the chassis is frankly poo. Whenever I have a tussle with one I get nailed on the straights and shove them through the twisty stuff.

Even if it was the best car ever and the motoring press reigned praise upon it being a Vauxhall I would rather push a rusty engineless Lada than drive one. I have actually walked rather than drive a Corsa C before now.

Haha I like that. I don't get ahead of myself, I always say to myself it's only a Vauxhall. By choice id be driving a mk5 golf r32 with dsg box but my insurance is sky high so I went for a vxr coz it's up in the years, push button and keyless entry(which is a nice touch to be fair) and something with low miles for fair money, u can get a mk5 gti on a 09 plate for what I paid but it's just a lil bit too plain for my liking, the vxr gets a few looks and sounds lovely

Different strokes for different folks mate, it's not a dig. One of my mates loves his sodding Prius, one mans poop is another mans gold, doesn't make anyone of us more right than the next

Reactions: bigray, Westy, Artimus and 3 others
Being an ex owner id say that theyre quick cars, some simple mods exhaust/cooler/remap and youd be looking around 300bhp, straight line there pretty quick even in standard form. As stated above though different tastes for different people.

An S3 has no chance against a VXR astra, or a corsa VXR for that matter.

As said remap will help but i wouldnt be holding out hopes of winning even with one
Talk for yourself mate My car hasn't lost too a Vxr or a focus st!!! As stated everything on there car is new and mine lol

A lot depends on how its being driven.

Its tempting on the motorway to simply plant it in 5th or 6th gear, when infact you should be in 3rd.

If you have two evenly matched cars, and one of you leaves it in 5th or 6th and the other downshifts to third, the person driving properly is going to easily pull away.

I've "beat" or held my own against more powerful cars quite a few times just by driving properly.

Its one of the reasons folk rave about diesels being quick. In reality they arent, but the power they do have is much more easily accessed as its further down the revs, so being lazy and simply mashing your foot down gives you much better end results in a diesel than it does in a petrol car.

Reactions: Westy and Goubo1
Spot on aragorn!! There are times where I've played with some cars that are quick, but by being in the right gear, you'll stand a good chance! Not lost to anything since my badger treatment :)

Reactions: Westy and sssline
Ill play with any of em now my car is finally mapped and sorted problem free

Hands up if you'd rather be driving the S3. I don't even need to be driving it tbh, sometimes I just go to the window to look at it, or turn it over to listen to it. There are many cars that are faster, and many drivers that are better than I, ultimately for me it comes down to the quality of the drive which in my humble opinion vauxhall cannot deliver. I don't want to break the land speed record in my car, but hell it's fast cross country and an absolute pleasure to drive slow and fast and has unparalleled reliability. What more could I ask for? Not trying to fuel the fire ;)

Reactions: The Doctor, westcoast a3, [Dave B] and 1 other person
Put your hands up

Reactions: Artimus, vivalacoulter, jojo and 1 other person
most vxr owners are a set of ****s who think there cars are the fastest thing since sliced bread - **** gearboxes although there good in a straight line

I reckon my audi wud have a vxr :p. I used to have a stripped out 306 rallye running just short of 200bhp and that used to wipe them for fun haha

the vxr's are quick in a straight line. i came up against a nurburgring corsa the other day and it was pretty quick. i have a revo stage 2. but he wasnt far behind. buuut a few of my friends who have focus st's, integra dc5, 330i's had a little drive of my car and said its one of the nicest cars they have driven. this just proves that audi's are well built and are great to drive even if theyre not the quickest cars. thats my input anyway :)

Reactions: sssline
About a year ago when I was looking at what car I should buy I looked at the VXR along with aload of other cars. After driving a saxo vts (one hell of a car, loads of fun, but if I crashed I would die!) in the wet and wheelspinning to **** with only 120 bhp I definitly decided that I needed 4WD and that was the priority. A front wheel drive car with 240 bhp is only good in a straight line (motorway) and in the dry. Once you have to turn your ****ed and if it rains, forget it! and considering we live in britain that is the usual scenario. I like to enjoy driving my car and not struggling with the sterring wheel or slipping off an A road into a tree. More than anything I wanted 4WD for safety reasons.

Anyway that left me with 3 choices, R32, S3 and scooby, obviously the rest is history with the S3 being the complete package in every way. An Audi will always be better than a vauxhall and the interior quality is a mile apart even though the S3 is the older car.

End of rant.

What is wrong with you? Are you unable to drive? Does your foot not work in a linear fashion?

I absolutely destroyed an astra vxr the other day, proper handed him his *** on a plate. Just sayin.

If I was broke and 17 years old I would have bought a vauxhall. Each to their own, the audi has class and finesse, qualities that aren't important to some. Anyone can make a car hit 60mph in under 6s, it's how you get there that matters.

I'd top myself if that took 6 seconds :p

Sorry I'm bored in work tonight