Destroyed by an Astra VXR

simch said:
depreciating!!

That was my thought too...

But I'd possibly rather go for a Polo GTI with the trusty 18T on board if I were in the market for a pocket rocket! Now one of those with an IHI on!! llol

Oh no...another chassis overwhelmed by too much power...

I'd have a Lupo GTI on ITBs...
About 170BHP, just over 1000Kgs and a chassis that can use it, which the Polo just never could...

Now that would be fun...

god_thats_quick said:
okay, those evo figures, just up there, shows the S3 is better off the line to 60, then looses out after that (almost certainly because of transmition losses) to 100 by less that a second. You do realise how little that is in the real world, with two human drivers that don't get every change exactly spot on?

35 metres... yes i'm bored

Dave_Bayern said:
1080 is stamped on the chassis body, which I didnt believe so I got it on a weighbridge, hence the 1225Kg.

1080kg is base weight

The 'tuned' bit reminds me of my Subaru ownership years and the web forum i used to use. Whenever the 'iconic' Impreza was beaten by a more modern car the response was always the opposition must have been tuned :ohmy:
Subaru's are quick but a standard UK WRX isn't that quick. As for the S3, which i now own (in standard form) i must say that i was disappointed with the performance aspect of the car. I feel my S3 would struggle against a hell of a lot of cars out there and i wouldn't even bother going against a VXR simply to save embarrasment and petrol.
However, as an overall package the S3 ticks all the right boxes at the moment.
Nik.

grays3 said:
i find i very hard to believe the astra wasnt tuned! as iv raced one of those in a mk2 16v golf and kept with it to 115mph it was pulling on me but not by much! and my s3 is with out a doute faster than my old 16v!
my s3 is now 260 bhp and i would happly go against a vxr astra!

I have to say I'm totally at a loss to the apologist attitude of a lot on this forum, I bet you could go on any other owners club in the world and not see this kind of crap. I am not pretending the S3 is a really quick car, quite the opposite, however the fact you can use all the power it has all the time (only 210bhp for me) means you can keep up with much faster cars on paper on the road in the real world, this is a fact.

I'm not talking about 0-100 drag races (even though I've had a few of them) but I mean real world driving over some of the best roads in england and wales. I'm sure people will just dismiss what I'm saying but I really couldn't give a **** any more, I know what I've witnessed with my own eyes and I've probably done more mile in an S3 than most, I've also probably spent more of those miles in the company of other performance cars than most.

Rant over, sorry chaps, I'll **** off back under a rock again now.

The Mk2 Golf 16v GTI was an amazing car in its day, and its still pretty decent now. However, tepid modern hatches are quicker, safer, and handle better.

I can show you many forums where they will do as you've suggested and fight to the death for the Mk2 superiority, but thats called being dellusional.

The 8L S3 is an old car, that every day is being superseded by newer and better cars.

I've spent a few years with performance cars, I worked for Jaguar Racing then a Performance car tuning company, AMG, Brabus level, not superchips.
At no turn would I ever call an S3 a 'performance car' and thats probably why I am so vocal about it.

A Mk2 Golf on the toher hand changed the world as we know it, it took a concept like the Mk1 to the masses and prodcued an amazing standard car with a proper raw feel and decent control, and made it so people could afford them.

The S3 is a moderately fast car based on a moderate chassis, with pretend 4WD and theres no reason that modern cars wouldnt be a lot faster and via a decent chassis able to apply more of that power.

My old dear has got a Corsa VXR, yeah its pretty quick but the ride is very harsh and you have to rag the **** out of it, never been in either S3 so cant compare. I had a friends Astra VXR for a week as well, same story, very quick but like a gypsys daughter it needs some serious thrashing to put a grin on your face, also just sold my mk5 GTI to a guy that tipped up in an Astra VXR, he wanted a 5 door due to having a child on the way, after two minutes of the test drive he said it was loads nicer than his VXR in both interior and handling/power delivery.

Vauxhall have done quite well to produce cars with this sort of spec for the price but you get what you pay for...

(also if you want fast, get something with a vtec)

IMO

I've got a 225BHP S3 and if an Astra VXR beat me i wouldn't be surprised at all, a standard MK5 Golf GTI has kept up with me and there only around 200BHP, the Astra is around 240BHP.

I think the S3 is a good all round car, its quick but not really a performance car, the E36 M3 i had before was in my opinion a performance car considering it was built in 1994.

this post has been a good giggle. Same 'ol arguing, with same points arguing to the extremes, quoting figures about who is right.

Hilarious, but pointless.

More modern does not necessarily mean better.
More modern does not necessarily mean faster.

There are so many different situations that each car could be faster than the other that its pointless. And even then we're not taking into account the abilities of the driver.

If you've been beaten by another car, get over it. It's gonna happen again, for certain. Where's the fun in winning all the time?

The best fun is winning when you think your going to loose.
I did recently against some flash git in his S3,can honestly say i thought i was going to loose but i hammered it in my 330ci.

About a year ago when I was looking at what car I should buy I looked at the VXR along with aload of other cars. After driving a saxo vts (one hell of a car, loads of fun, but if I crashed I would die!) in the wet and wheelspinning to **** with only 120 bhp I definitly decided that I needed 4WD and that was the priority. A front wheel drive car with 240 bhp is only good in a straight line (motorway) and in the dry. Once you have to turn your ****** and if it rains, forget it! and considering we live in britain that is the usual scenario. I like to enjoy driving my car and not struggling with the sterring wheel or slipping off an A road into a tree. More than anything I wanted 4WD for safety reasons.

Anyway that left me with 3 choices, R32, S3 and scooby, obviously the rest is history with the S3 being the complete package in every way. An Audi will always be better than a vauxhall and the interior quality is a mile apart even though the S3 is the older car.

End of rant.

Who cares about being done on a motorway? Their not real roads where the cars come into their own!

I think we should just settle this with stats from EVO, because they are the be all and end all of any car forum debate. lol

james0808 said:
I did recently against some flash git in his S3,can honestly say i thought i was going to loose but i hammered it in my 330ci.

Where was this? A 330i estate pwned me at the lights the other day when I was in the S3, but the 330i was rolling at around 15mph when the lights turned and it was two lanes merging into one so I let him through. I then went on to pwn him back from about 50 to some more mph! This was on the A322 over the M3.

Nottingham.I used to see this S3 all the time when i had my A4 tdi,always battered me off the lights,not very surprising.
First time i have seen him since i got the 330ci and had to have a go.Its a very nice black facelift S3,lowered and a nice sounding exhaust too.

I havent had a go with a new S3 in the 330,should be fun,as long as he aint had a remap.

Ok so all i wanted to know is my s3 very slow or is the vxr very quick:)

While Vauxhalls are getting a good *** kicking from the purists I thought I'd add another wee fly in the ointment

My last car was a Vectra CDTi 150bhp, tuned to just under 200bhp with oodles of torque.

It hated corners, was ***** in the wet and was just another repmobile

But, I kicked so many hot hatch ***** you wouldn't believe it and the value for money was unbeatable.

I've now got a 2004 A4 TDI sport 130bhp which I must admit handles very well for a fwd car but really can be a dull performer.

I'm getting a remap early in the new year which should see me to 185bhp so hopefully my choice of changing the Vectra for the A4 was the right one.
I'll know for sure after the remap.

peakey said:
Ok so all i wanted to know is my s3 very slow or is the vxr very quick:)

Think that has been answered in a funny kind of way ....lol

when i first got my standard S3 i thought it was quick (i had a tuned 106 gti previous which was so much fun on bilstein dampers and springs all way round-so much fun), i thought it was slighter quicker than my previous car. the S3 is totally different once remapped, but it isnt a performance car, its a reliable, refined quick car.

if you want a fast buy an evo or skyline, i personally wouldnt buy a vauxhall VXR- overpriced and its a vauxhall !

I've had a sprint against an Astra 2.0T (170hp) with my S3, it was only the first day I had my S3 I immediatly got a feeling of dissapointement :w00t: lose from Opel!? But the Astra was tuned to 270hp, it wasn't really that much faster then my 210hp. The guy in the Astra was surprised himself said my car went quite well for 210hp. At first I thought different, but I guess kept close for 60hp difference. I hope the S3 does better then that Astra at 270hp!

campbell said:
the S3 is totally different once remapped, but it isnt a performance car, its a reliable, refined quick car.

I dissagree...

If you really take the S3 up a level in engine output, suspension and brakes, you end up with a performance car (still on a K04 though)

For example, my old S3 was making less power but more torque than some Evos and WRX/STIs...it was lapping Knockhill quicker in the hands of the 2nd owner, and able to play on a level playing field out on the road (lots more low down torque + gearing)...it's all swings and roundabouts...you has the edge here, they had the edge there.

Nobody suggests that a decent Evo or STI isn't a performance car...so it shouldn't be a surprise that a well sorted S3 isn't one.

Of course, throw the same money at the Evo/STI and the gap re-opens...that's life.

The point is that with sensible changes (not always cheap, I agree) you can end up with an S3 that had Evo/STI like handling and performance, road or track...but still does the 'great interior' and 'refined car' part better than any Evo or STI ever could.
Sadly though, the chassis of the S3 means that it will always drive like a 'refined car'. That is, it will never feel like a particularly inspiring car to drive...utterly efficient when set up properly...just not inspiring like the Evos are.

i agree with you but what my point is that the S3 a relaible quick, refined car if it just has a remap. Obviously, if you throw money at it and sort the suspension, brake, issues etc then you have a performance car like you once had Ess Three.

Ess_Three said:
I dissagree...

If you really take the S3 up a level in engine output, suspension and brakes, you end up with a performance car (still on a K04 though)

For example, my old S3 was making less power but more torque than some Evos and WRX/STIs...it was lapping Knockhill quicker in the hands of the 2nd owner, and able to play on a level playing field out on the road (lots more low down torque + gearing)...it's all swings and roundabouts...you has the edge here, they had the edge there.

Nobody suggests that a decent Evo or STI isn't a performance car...so it shouldn't be a surprise that a well sorted S3 isn't one.

Of course, throw the same money at the Evo/STI and the gap re-opens...that's life.

The point is that with sensible changes (not always cheap, I agree) you can end up with an S3 that had Evo/STI like handling and performance, road or track...but still does the 'great interior' and 'refined car' part better than any Evo or STI ever could.
Sadly though, the chassis of the S3 means that it will always drive like a 'refined car'. That is, it will never feel like a particularly inspiring car to drive...utterly efficient when set up properly...just not inspiring like the Evos are.

Right guys if the 2 cars are standard the VXr will pull away with doubt. Speaking from experience, as i have just sold my Astra vxr! I've had many plays with S3's and won everytime. Now i can say i didn't sail past him but i did win. However the Vxr is pretty crap in the wet, or even slightly moist, especially around round abouts/corners!!!! Torque steer and over steer!!!

The vxr could have been remapped, however a simple remap will only give you around 265-270bhp from 240. Add a full exhaust and a FMIC, which is called stage 3 then you will be seeing 300bhp. Now this aint cheap, £500 for remap, 1100 for full miltek exhaust and probably about 600 for the FMIC....

It will be a different storey with the new s3 altogether, however there is probably about 5k difference (?) in price as you can get a new Astra Vxr for 18k now. However I've moved on to bigger and better things as ive got an Audi A4 3.0 v6 Quattro sport, ok its not as quick as the Vxr but its not much slower!! Plus it looks the dogs with the full Votex kit!! To be honest i loved the Vxr, the way it excellerated and the way it looked was just awsome. I was sad to see it go, but with the arrival of our first baby due soon then it was the sensible option. Plus im saving money with my new car ( V6...maybe not on fuel though...)

Grae said:
However I've moved on to bigger and better things as ive got an Audi A4 3.0 v6 Quattro sport, ok its not as quick as the Vxr but its not much slower!!

Is it actually slower or does it just feel slower because theres no turbo.

james0808 said:
Is it actually slower or does it just feel slower because theres no turbo.

It does feel a lot slower to be honest, but as you say its cos there's no turbo. The 0-60 times for the Vxr is supposed to be 6.1 the 3.0 v6 Quattro is about 6.8 seconds so ye it is slightly slower. The 4WD quattro system is pretty heavy so slows it down a bit!! Maybe a different storey around the twistys???

I have a remap and a few other bits on my Golf 1.8t which feels faster than my bmw but in reality it is loads slower,especially in the twisties.

S3 remapped smashes vxr standard fact take the 17 year old chav out of his vauxhall n giv him a lil tickle :)

I had a play with one. Mines mapped and I had a full car, it pulled ahead initially but I went for the overtake in 4th! He only had 1 passenger! I was pretty pleased considering the weight of my car at that point. If it was even with drivers or then I'd of taken him no doubt!

S3 remapped smashes vxr standard fact take the 17 year old chav out of his vauxhall n giv him a lil tickle :)

Cooke old revival thread or what? Anyway what the hell you doing on here? Haha.

Had a young'un in corsa VXR behind me (s3 275bhp) on Tuesday every time we slowed down he was properly revving his engine and leaning forward (think he was hinting). I just shook my head and thought.........No Scott, your better than this......just keep calm and drive sensibly!

Went down a dip which is well known for overtaking (The Big Dipper near Newquay, Cornwall) and he over took......well I let him get close then put my foot down. Chuckled to myself a bit!
Pulled into the local morrisons and who followed me in? Yeaaaah. When I got out he just looked at me with a grin and I said "No little boy, your car that daddy bought for you won't beat mine"

Never really been into that kinda thing but had to put him in his place!

Reactions: andy1 and Inertiauk
I've had a revo mapped s3 and got a standard astra vxr now except for a milltek downpipe/pre cat removal pipe and a non resonated cat back milltek and I can tell u categorically the astra is a faster car. Preferred the power delivery of the mapped s3 coz it come in with a bang at about 3000 rpm but he astras torque just breezes u along up to an electronically limited 155mph which I can confirm it actually does.

So, you joined up to this forum just to say that the Astra Vee-Ex-**** is faster than a car that 1) Weighs more; 2)Incurs higher transmission losses due to the Haldex and hence likely has the same wheel horsepower; 3)Is older.

Well done.

holy-thread-revival-batman.jpg

Reactions: Neilybabs
Why u so touchy?!? remind me what forums are for? Reading back I thort id done what everyone else had done, wrote a bit of information about they're car. I've looked at threads on this forum for years but had no experience with a VXR, u spelled it wrong, until now when I bought one, so yes I only signed up today and joined this topic today thanks. Wanna change your pill, it's making u crabby

Reactions: Westy