Oil Pump failures on 1.8T engines

D8UGF

Reaction score
Guys, gals

I am posting this in the A3/S3 section as I am trying to get as much info as I possibly can I have had an oil pump failure on my car causing probably serious damage to my engine (please see this post- http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=46369 )

It looks like this is a common fault with this engine, so much so that Audi US have given cars built between 1999-2004 using the 1.8T engine an unlimited mileage or 8 years warranty. I want to build up as much amunition as possible as I am going thru Audi to get this fixed, I must say that they have not said yay or nay to it yet but forewarned is forearmed.

If this has happened to you or anyone you know and you have tried through main dealers to be recompenesed I would appreciate your experiences. If any of you are members of other Vw/Audi forums I would be mighty grateful if you could pass the link onto my thread.

Many thanks

Dougie

Not sure its "failrly common!" Imagine how many millions of these motors are in vws, audis, skodas and seats, then see how often there is an oilpump failure.......!?!? I have heard of it, but I'd say its pretty isolated cases!

Not like coilpacks, mafs etc!

Good luck in your hunt for info though and hope you get it fixed..

Have a look on this foruns: audiforums.com

They have several good threads about that issues and the oil sludge problem.

According to some users of that forum the Audi engines (1.8T) that are affected by that kind of issues are not the transversal engines that we found on the A3/S3 or TT.

So if you want to look for information about that issues, I would search on the forums of Audi A4, VW Passat, and so on!

If you search by cam chain tensioner you'll also find information about problems with the oil pump!

Hope this helps, regards

Luis
http://www.audiforums.com/pm.asp?m=104233

mines got 108k on and had the oil pump replaced a few months ago just to be safe.

the pick up pipe and sump were sludge free and the pump looked fine.....

What is the oil pump? Is that the thing that buzzes for 20 mins when you stop the engine?

The number one reason for oil pump failure is carbon deposits aka sludge. The 1.8T engines MUST use fully synthetic oil for the prevention of sludge as if the oil pump goes, the engine will probably be finished too.

Yes I suppose the transverse and longitudinal location of these may make a difference.
I agree about regular oil changes too. I wonder how many of these failures are on the (IMO STOOPID) longlife servicing schedules!
When I got the s3, it was the first thing I did, oil change and take it off longlife service! Whats the point, an extra oilchange will cost about £60 at an independant, with proper audi parts and think of the piece of mind it gives!

Thats exactly it. Mine gets an oil change every 5000 miles. Its just SO cheap and a 20 minute job.

You can get 5/40W Fully Synth from Halfords for £26 these days (on their trade card)

Copper washer for the sump plug is 10p I think (2p if bought in bulk) and a new filter is £7.

So for £35 and maybe 20 minutes out of your life, you can minimise oil related issues.

Seems worth it doesnt it.

the Passat 1.8t has issues with oil delivery, they even changed the OEM oil filter to deal with the over production of sludge.

I use Mobil 1 (cheap at Costco!) and change a lot but if your car is running OEM recommended oil and has been serviced regularly then the pump is not something that is on Audi's list of consumables on any service schedule.
That alone gives you some mileage for full repair

Very true guys, but my gripe is that the service schedule indicated by the manufacturer has been carried out to the letter at the main dealer. If something goes wrong with our cars that is as a result of oil problems I dont think we would have a leg to stand on if we went back to Audi and told them we had changed the oil more regularly than stated in the service schedule. Its not as if I am lazy or have been trying to save money the last service was £310 for essentially an oil change!

I owned a Subaru Sti for seven years and changed the oil myself regularly but that was due to the fact that being an import it didnt have a main dealer service history. I continued with the service schedule on this car for piece of mind, I will wait to see the outcome first and give Audi uk the chance to make their decision before I make any comments on what they should have done etc.

Dougie

Simch- funnily enough guess what? mine was on the longlife service!