Electric seats

dan.obi

Reaction score
hi i currently dont have electric seats in my car and am buying some electric leathers would these beable to fit my car i.e will there be an electric seat loom under the seats if not how hard will it be to fit,

thanks

You will have to purchase the heated seat looms and switches separately.

You CAN buy these from VAG and they plug straight into the fuse box, I did the same job on a Mk4 Golf. Don't ask me what the part numbers for the looms and switches are though.

Stewart said:
You will have to purchase the heated seat looms and switches separately.

You CAN buy these from VAG and they plug straight into the fuse box, I did the same job on a Mk4 Golf. Don't ask me what the part numbers for the looms and switches are though.

thanks Stewart

does anyone know thw part number for this item or another way of doing this....

thanks

dan.obi said:
thanks Stewart

or another way of doing this....

thanks

You could close your eyes shut really tightly and say alacazam and try and magic them fitted?

How else do you envisage they could be fitted? At the very least you need the connecting plugs and as I remember the looms weren't just one or two wires...

Don't forget the switches, although you may be able to locate second hand S3 heated seat switches...

Why not try breakers yards? I doubt they would normally go to the trouble of removing the looms.

Stewart said:
You could close your eyes shut really tightly and say alacazam and try and magic them fitted?

How else do you envisage they could be fitted? At the very least you need the connecting plugs and as I remember the looms weren't just one or two wires...

Don't forget the switches, although you may be able to locate second hand S3 heated seat switches...

Why not try breakers yards? I doubt they would normally go to the trouble of removing the looms.

ok Stewart thanks for the sarcasim but the seat are not heated they are just electric therefor i need to know where to obtain the wiring loom....

Jeez, I've already told you! From VAG. Have you actually TRIED going to a VAG dealer and ASKING them for the part? I thought not.

Your alternative is booking your car into a good Auto Electrician and having it custom wired, shouldn't be too taxing for a good sparky or too expensive.

Stewart said:
Jeez, I've already told you! From VAG. Have you actually TRIED going to a VAG dealer and ASKING them for the part? I thought not.

Your alternative is booking your car into a good Auto Electrician and having it custom wired, shouldn't be too taxing for a good sparky or too expensive.

yes Stewart i have tried VAGParts and if you have nothing but sarcasium to say then dont say anything at all

There was absolutely no sarcasm in my last post.

If you can't take good advice and get off your **** and do something constructive towards sorting out what you want to do then don't sit there whinging. Using a forum is great for a headstart but don't expect everything on a plate for you.
If you have a dream of buying and fitting these electric seats then make that dream happen, don't sit back and expect someone else to do all the hard work for you, that just takes the joy out of modding cars.
No-one else has yet come up with anything more constructive.

VAGparts.com aren't the best for trying to sort non mainstream parts as they source 99% of their parts from Germany.

Try a main dealer and VIEW the parts filche yourself. WORK with the parts guy, gently and encouragingly persuade him (or her) into looking a little deeper into your request. Parts guys in the main are stuck in a rut, they look forward to the 5pm bell, why should they go that little bit further for a $5 part?

Stewart said:
There was absolutely no sarcasm in my last post.

If you can't take good advice and get off your **** and do something constructive towards sorting out what you want to do then don't sit there whinging. Using a forum is great for a headstart but don't expect everything on a plate for you.
If you have a dream of buying and fitting these electric seats then make that dream happen, don't sit back and expect someone else to do all the hard work for you, that just takes the joy out of modding cars.
No-one else has yet come up with anything more constructive.

VAGparts.com aren't the best for trying to sort non mainstream parts as they source 99% of their parts from Germany.

Try a main dealer and VIEW the parts filche yourself. WORK with the parts guy, gently and encouragingly persuade him (or her) into looking a little deeper into your request. Parts guys in the main are stuck in a rut, they look forward to the 5pm bell, why should they go that little bit further for a $5 part?

Stewart thanks for your advice i contacted audi birmingham today and the bloke on the end of the phone wasn't all that helpfull as he told me there were 2 types of looms that would do the job but he doesn't know which is the correct model number and adviced me to buy both in a trial and error type attempt at £100+ plus VAT i dont think that would be the best of idea's so i am going to contact an auto electrican tomorrow to see what they quote or even know the model number...

Hi Dan,
If you look under the Front seats, you'll either see 3 plugs or 2, they are as follows (From Memory!)

Yellow - Air Bags - check your plugs match
Red - Seat Heating (optional)
Green - Electric Adjustment

I think this is the loom difference you refer to

Both the Red and Green are 6 pin plugs, however not all the cores are used.

PM your email and ill send you the wiring diagram for both driver & passenger wiring.

Regards Steve

A3steve said:
Hi Dan,
If you look under the Front seats, you'll either see 3 plugs or 2, they are as follows (From Memory!)

I think this is the loom difference you refer to

Both the Red and Green are 6 pin plugs, however not all the cores are used.

PM your email and ill send you the wiring diagram for both driver & passenger wiring.

Regards Steve

so you are basically saying that the wiring loom should already be there but might need adjusting i.e the plugs

so you are basically saying that the wiring loom should already be there but might need adjusting i.e the plugs
No mate, The info in the other post refers to the seats you want to add.

to be clear what electric seats are you buying? S3 Recaros or the later sport seats?

The sockets i'm refering to are fitted to the base of the seats you intend to fit,you will need to add addditional wiring and plugs - either a premade audi loom for each seat or some custom wiring. the additional wiring will be for Electric adjustment and possibly seat heating if you need it.

Dependant on the year of the A3, you may need to change the airbag plugs, 1997 to early 1998 use different plugs to late 1998 onwards.

Lol, back to square one!

In all fairness A3Steve, he did make it clear he was asking about the loom in the car, it's fairly obvious that the seats would come with their bit of the wiring, anyone taking them out of the donor car would simply unplug them from the car's wiring loom.

In all fairness A3Steve, he did make it clear he was asking about the loom in the car, it's fairly obvious that the seats would come with their bit of the wiring, anyone taking them out of the donor car would simply unplug them from the car's wiring loom.
Your right, i was just trying to explain what was involved - obviously not very well.:)

I have fitted S3 recaros to an A3 for a friend, of course the breakers will disconnect the plugs at the seats (i was fortunate that the set i fitted was just cut on the car side of the loom giving me the plugs and 6" of wire to solder to)

If you compare your seats against the recaros all what i said will fall into place.

Dan - my email provider doesnt allow Hotmail, do you have another?

Right hopefully i can clear up the doubt in my posts!

Your car will have 1 electrical connection per seat - this is the airbag connection. the connector will be yellow

Note* Early A3's have a different airbag connection than later
--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Seats you plan to fit will have 3 connectors each

To fit these seats to your car - you will need a loom from audi to go from the fusebox to the Green plug x2

If the airbag connector is the same - it will just plug in and work fine (once the airbag system is safely isolated)

If you have the red connector - you need a different loom which incorporates Heating and seat electrics as well as dash switches to control the heating x2.

you can buy all the connectors from audi and make your own loom if you know what you are doing, same goes for the airbag plugs.

If this isnt clear - i give up :keule:

A3steve said:
Right hopefully i can clear up the doubt in my posts!

Your car will have 1 electrical connection per seat - this is the airbag connection. the connector will be yellow

Note* Early A3's have a different airbag connection than later
--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Seats you plan to fit will have 3 connectors each

To fit these seats to your car - you will need a loom from audi to go from the fusebox to the Green plug x2

If the airbag connector is the same - it will just plug in and work fine (once the airbag system is safely isolated)

If you have the red connector - you need a different loom which incorporates Heating and seat electrics as well as dash switches to control the heating x2.

you can buy all the connectors from audi and make your own loom if you know what you are doing, same goes for the airbag plugs.

If this isnt clear - i give up :keule:

right i understand what your saying know, but i was on the understanding that i could buy the loom from audi already made therefore me not having to make it if that isn't the case and i have to make the loom my self then i will just have to forget about the whole mod as im not the best with electrics...

thanks for the info anyhow