Custom Code -remap

jarvis**turbo**

Reaction score
went to a promotion day on saturday at custom-code.had a phase 1 remap on my 2001 s3.i was so surprized how well organised they were along with the workshop.you can certainly tell they dont do things by the half.they are very professional and i couldnt have been happier with how it all went.i had my car put on the rolling road afterwards.my car made 269.7 bhp and 288.7 torque. it certainly pulls very well.is this a fairly average result for a s3 generic map?

jarvis**turbo** said:
went to a promotion day on saturday at custom-code.had a phase 1 remap on my 2001 s3.i was so surprized how well organised they were along with the workshop.you can certainly tell they dont do things by the half.they are very professional and i couldnt have been happier with how it all went.i had my car put on the rolling road afterwards.my car made 269.7 bhp and 288.7 torque. it certainly pulls very well.is this a fairly average result for a s3 generic map?

iv just had a custom code done to my 2001 s3 and the differance is awsome!

jarvis**turbo** said:

I would say 260bhp is a more realistic figure from a generic map, but 270 is certainly not impossible.

Glad you lot are happy with it. I've been happy for the last 11 months. Glad I didn't buy Revo!!

The actual figure of a remapped S3 will be closer to 255bhp, optimistic rollers make all the difference.

I went along with Jarvis to JBS in Derby for the Custom Code map too. Again, gotta say they have a nice slick little setup there. The guys were all knowledgeable and friendly, I'd have no worries at all leaving my car with them for any work.

On the stage 1 remap on my AMK engine I saw 272.9 bhp and 280 on the torque.
Finally I can join the club of people saying these cars need to be remapped... the difference is amazing. Top job Custom Code / JBS.

Jarvis... good day out mate, hope yours is going well. You wanna get an aftermarket duck for yours like mine ;)

For goodness sake lads...even if you think you know that generic S3s procude 260 ish genuine BHP...please don't go saying that on here...there are too many people who will get upset.

Personally, I don't think there is a hope in hell that a standard S3 with a stage 1 re-map will produce anything close to 270 BHP...never mind anything over it.

But hey...let people believe the ******** they are fed.
They've paid for it...let them live in blissful ignorance.

I once drove a 280BHP/299 lb-ft AmD stage 1 re-mapped S3...and next to my 268 BHP and 305 lb-ft (at the time) S3, you'd think some pikey had stolen the turbo.
The guy was blissfully happy...until he drove one that 'actually' made the power the owner said it did.
Somewhat depressing for him really...and he's not alone.

Certain companies can do things with the S3 ECU that others cant...
Because of course we all know that in the digital manipulation game, there are 'ones', 'zeros' and then there are the things made by fairies that 'certain companies' seem to be able to manipulate.
My ****...

Ess_Three said:
I once drove a 280BHP/299 lb-ft AmD stage 1 re-mapped S3...and next to my 268 BHP and 305 lb-ft (at the time) S3, you'd think some pikey had stolen the turbo.

This bit made me laugh so loud! :lmfao:

Ess_Three said:
For goodness sake lads...even if you think you know that generic S3s procude 260 ish genuine BHP...please don't go saying that on here...there are too many people who will get upset.

Personally, I don't think there is a hope in hell that a standard S3 with a stage 1 re-map will produce anything close to 270 BHP...never mind anything over it.

But hey...let people believe the ******** they are fed.
They've paid for it...let them live in blissful ignorance.

The guy was blissfully happy...until he drove one that 'actually' made the power the owner said it did.
Somewhat depressing for him really...and he's not alone.

Certain companies can do things with the S3 ECU that others cant...
Because of course we all know that in the digital manipulation game, there are 'ones', 'zeros' and then there are the things made by fairies that 'certain companies' seem to be able to manipulate.
My ****...

to be honest , i am qouting the figures i was given when it was rolling roaded.if people are gunna get upset over it then thats there problem , if they are that sensative that something that small can upset them then they must be female or a complete pussy.im not doughtin that the figures i got given are incorrect but this is what my printout said.its a car, lots of peolpe have them, who cares if ones quicker than the other.all s3's will differ slightly.

Eyup Meza and Jarvis, Steve here, the affable hunk of a man that was chatting to you while they were mapping my black S3, then talking me into a new diverter valve and green cotton filter. I don't think that it really matters whether its 250, 260 or 270, if yours are anything like mine you'll be looking like this:- :).

Alright Steve, yeah I definitely had that expression after the map! Less so now my clutch is giving way :think:
Good to meet you, anyway, laters.

alrite steve, ye nice to meet you.i went for the green filter too in the end.yea i certainly enjoyed the drive home.the grin factor should be there for a few months to come:w00t:

Ballcrusher said:
you Anoraks make me laugh

Realists, mate. Realists.

If you understand the limits of the standard S3 components, and understand what can and cannot be manipulated then it's easy to spot false claims.

I really wish I'd used certain other tuning companies and rolling roads with my S3.
That could have saved me 30+ dyno runs (all at my cost, by the way) and many £1000s and 10s of hours work getting mine to show 'big figures'.

Or maybe I should apply the Chav logic...

Take a first stage re-map, giving me 270BHP and lats say 280 lb-ft...
Add 15% for a K&N
Add 15% for an exhaust (cumalative, obviously)
Add 10 BHP and 25 lb-ft for cats...
Add 10 BHP for a 'power gasket'
So, 377 BHP and 395 lb-ft....plus a couple more for V-Power.

If I run it in FWD I'll get better results too...less losses...

So there we are...it must be true, because somebody told me it was. :applaus:

Ess_Three said:
Realists, mate. Realists.

If you understand the limits of the standard S3 components, and understand what can and cannot be manipulated then it's easy to spot false claims.

I really wish I'd used certain other tuning companies and rolling roads with my S3.
That could have saved me 30+ dyno runs (all at my cost, by the way) and many £1000s and 10s of hours work getting mine to show 'big figures'.

Or maybe I should apply the Chav logic...

Take a first stage re-map, giving me 270BHP and lats say 280 lb-ft...
Add 15% for a K&N
Add 15% for an exhaust (cumalative, obviously)
Add 10 BHP and 25 lb-ft for cats...
Add 10 BHP for a 'power gasket'
So, 377 BHP and 395 lb-ft....plus a couple more for V-Power.

If I run it in FWD I'll get better results too...less losses...

So there we are...it must be true, because somebody told me it was. :applaus:

don't forget that extra 10bhp for the boost guage .....

ok just one more . if a guy goes to a few rolling roads and they all come within a few bhp of each other does make the power output true or or would al the rollers be wrong...... my good man mr ess please explain cos they cant all be wrong.....?

out of interest Ess Three me being from scotland and with a totally standard car, where would you reccomend going for my remap. I was thinking Star performance.

cheers
garry

S3 GAZ said:
out of interest Ess Three me being from scotland and with a totally standard car, where would you reccomend going for my remap. I was thinking Star performance.

cheers
garry

I'd suggest Star simply because I find they provide a good service and have an accurate rolling road.
I've used them for years...they are very, very good.

Ballcrusher said:
ok just one more . if a guy goes to a few rolling roads and they all come within a few bhp of each other does make the power output true or or would al the rollers be wrong...... my good man mr ess please explain cos they cant all be wrong.....?

Rolling roads can be very accurate, or very inaccurate.
Differeing makes of RR give different results...I prefer MAHA and measuring coastdown...some don't measurte coastdown at all, and simply add a pre-determined figure from a database (Dyno Dynamics for examply)

If the rollers have been calibrated recently and the operator sets the tyre pressures to the same each time, the owner uses the same fuel, the tie down straps are set to the same tension, the corrections to DIN 70002 (I think that's the standard) are correctly applied, the ramp/acceleration rates are set the same, the gear used is the same then it should read correctly...but I've had some very wild claims.
I've seen increases of up to 20 BHP by using different types of RR...
I can make the car show 15-20 BHP more by using 3rd instead of 4th...
I can pump the tyres up and get 5BHP...
I can reduce the ramp rate and see 20 lb-ft of torque.

It's not as simple as running the car, which is why on Dyno Days, some of the results are inaccurate as a S3 will need different settings to a FWD NA car, for example.

The only way to really find out if the dyno is accurate in my view, is to test a standard, new car.
On Stars dyno my Golf GTI made 151 BHP and 138 lb-ft.
My S3 made 208 BHP and 199 lb-ft.
An ex's Lupo GTI made 126 BHP and 105 lb-ft (I think)
My C4S made 316 BHP and 270 lb-ft.
All spot on the manufacturers figures...

So when I then end up at 275 BHP and 332 lb-ft, on the same dyno, run by the same operator, with the same set-up procedure...with my same tyre pressures etc, I can say reasonably accurately (to withing the 2% tolerance of the dyno + or -) that I've gained 67 BHP and 133 lb-ft.

I've seen my S3 make 285 BHP on other dynos...but I don't believe it.
It made 275 BHP on the dyno I believe to be accurate.
But if I chose to say it made 285 BHP I could...I have a print out (Well, David R does) but it wouldn't be true, in my opinion.

My Golf made 174 BHP on AmDs dyno...it made 160 BHP before mapping....a gain of 14 BHP peak and 18 BHP midrange (I think those were the figures)
On Stars dyno, swapping the chips about gave a BHP difference of 5-6 BHP.
Makes you think, doesn't it?

I've seen a Dubsport Mk3 golf 1.8T on stand-alone management run on Stars dyno...it apparently makes 305 BHP on Dubsports rollers.
It made 265 BHP on Stars...
The owner claiming the fans weren't big enough and it was heatsoaking...funny that my S3 made it's utterly reliable 275 BHP/330 lb-ft on the same day, with the same fans.

Rolling roads can lie...just remember that.

You seem to have a real hangup about your figures....
I've never said yours aren't possible...they are right at the top of what's possible on an S3, in my opinion. They seem a bit optimistic based on the work done...but it's possible for sure.

Jerry springer style final thought!!!
If your happy with YOUR car, If its fast enough, if you still get a grin everytime you drive it....who gives a flying crap what the numbers say.
BHP, lbft, torque....who cares...just enjoy it!
And this comes from a measely 193bhp 2.8q owner! :nyah:

Interesting account there Glen. It does provide food for thought. If nobody was to question/investigate such figures then we would all continue to believe the marketing hype. These days the market is dominated by so many tuners, it's no wonder that figures can be exaggerated (I'm not saying they are lying, merely that a setup to the average punter would be enough to excite and relay their thoughts: such as the likes of me! heh).

When you have someone that has done so much testing and spent time,effort and hard earns then you can get a much more accurate opinion. Either that or a much more confusing one! ha!

Rob

At the end of the day...you either believe any sheet of paper you are shown, or what you are told, and you live in blissful ignorance - not that there is anything wrong with that, if you are happy about it..

Or you believe nothing and trust no-one until you've seen it for your self...in order to make everything as accurate and genuine as you can...

Most people wouldn't know the difference between 40 BHP added to their S3 and 70 BHP added if you mapped their car and sent them off to drive it...
That's human nature...the ***-dyno is not accurate!

Rolling roads, their accuracy, and power claims are always open to exploitation by ALL tuners who are in business to make money...that's sadly a fact of tuning cars. Always has been, always will be.

I'm just sad and enjoy spending (wasting) my own money proving/disproving wild power claims...