Jipsta

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals
New to this forum stuff and pretty duff when it comes to car lingo.
I own a 1999 S3, bought it a year ago, with 36k on the clock back then, pretty sure its standard. I love it to bits and drives like a peach. Just wondering what this re-map thingy is? Is it worth getting mine checked out?

Hi Jipsta and welcome to the forum.

A remap is a way of reprogramming the computer chip that controls the engine so it produces more power (horsepower) and torque (pound foot) than as standard. It involves altering things like the turbo boost pressure, the fueling and the rev limiter. The standard programme as it comes from the factory could be thought of as a bit of a compromise to cover all the ways that an S3 might be driven. For example, the standard programme might target giving good MPG at the speeds where MPG is measured for sales purposes. Or giving CO2 emmissions for tax purpose.

The S3, as a turbo engined car, responds very well to a rechip - you will get somewhere between 250 and 260bhp compared to the 210bhp as 'standard' with your car (I say 'standard' as VW group cars are often over book figure anyway). The figure varies upon which chip you have, and which rolling road is used to measure the power (some are more optimistic than others).

So for somewhere around £400 you will make your car noticeably faster and with improved pickup in any given gear (for example, you won't need to change down a gear to overtake that lorry).

What are the downsides? There are some you need to be aware of:
1. You must tell your insurance company - it will put your premium up, but some insurers are more friendly than others.
2. If you get used to your extra power, then your MPG will suffer. Having said that, quite a few people notice that MPG actually improves on long motorway trips (less gear changes are required thanks to a better spread of power)
3. Having more power means that you tend to drive a bit faster which might emphasise some of the other parts of the car - e.g. brakes, suspension etc which you might want to upgrade as well.
4. If your new re-map gives you a bit jump in torque (this varies from supplier to supplier and car to car), this can cause premature wear in the clutch. But again, this depends upon how you drive and lots of members have had remapped cars for years with no problems.

Hope that helps you!

Excellent, thanks for your help Jason. Sounds a pretty good plan to me. Would be nice to have an extra 40 bhp or so!! Any other recommendations you can give for the car would be gratefully received.. :)

welcome matey as jcs356 said its well worth having a re-map i think makes the car feel alot better .. ps nice low miles too mine has 3x that mileage lol... jeff

Thanks Jeffers. Was a bargain too, full Audi service history every 5k... absolutely mint..... mere snip at £10k

welcome ............... have a butchers at the stickies at the top of the forum. Ess guide is a good platform to work from.

Hi Jipsta,

Well I can only suggest you get a remap:), you just have to make a choice on which company to go with!

Sounds like you have some super low mileage, lucky you! ;) So any photo's? What was your choice of colour then?

Get a quick go in a remapped S3 and you will be sold! :faint:

Enjoy

Howdy J. Not sure even where to go for a re-map, what sort of places do them? Super low miles mate, only just been for its 40k service. Its a dark blue, not sure of the exact colour name. Photos will follow when i have better weather to take some decent ones!!

Where abouts are you?
If it's dark blue it is probably Ming Blue.

I am near Norwich, Norfolk. Ming blue sounds good to me!!

j4jon you are Reading based, another one in the area!! Loads ASN in Reading! :)

I'm actually 5 mins from Snetterton race track. So close get free season pass

I had my A3 remapped at Jabbasport, which are in Peterbough, still a bit of a treak for you though.

Yep i'm actually just outside of Reading. Jampublic has yours been remapped?

j4jon some where alot closer than Peterborough, I choose a Custom Code remap at Storm in Aldermaston. And now I might as well have a hole in my fuel tank! boo :crying:

I actually only live about 4 miles from Storm, but I didn't know they existed at the time.
We may have to meet up so that I can see what a remapped one is like.

Most of the local's here are running remapped S3's! Just do it.. would be my suggestion! :)

Oh nice! Well what age? what colour? These are the important details! ;)

It's an 03 plate, ebony black, silvery/cream alcantara and black leather, alu mirrors, bose, 35k miles.

Sounds very nice, good to see you have black...the fastest colour! ;)

audi-cropped-1.jpg

Took this friday night, may have been a little bored! :)

Good point fingermouse, I had mine nearly 2 years before I made the dive! :sly: