Can Anyone Fit Lights 4 me... Will Pay £££££

Ferno

1st Gear
Reaction score
looking for someone in london preferably south or east....

got a prefacelift a3 , receiving new wires (from audi) and lights on fri.

looking to get them fitted asap will pay for your labour and obviously i will drive to your location!

let me know!

This is really easy to do yourself mate, i'd at least give it a go first - have a read through the sticky at the top of the a3/s3 forum

no need to solder for the wires.

just use plenty of eletrical/insulating tape.

give it a try and you will see how easy the job is.

whereabouts in SE london?

mate im near greenwich i know a place near me that would sort you out at a reasonable price.

dan.obi said:
sorry to sound thick but what do you mean new wires!!!!

read the sticky on headlight upgrades....

S3 SAF said:
mate im near greenwich i know a place near me that would sort you out at a reasonable price.

can u forward me the number pls bro.

HTC said:
Cowboy.

Use if cutting and re-joining wires, solder and use heat shrink insulation.
why solder?

show me where it needs soldering when doing this please.

I only had to cut and rejoin the wires and used tape.

Or do I need to solder when there is no need to and to make some people happy?:confused:

trying to sound smart, eh?:tocktock:

abdus said:
why solder?

show me where it needs soldering when doing this please.

I only had to cut and rejoin the wires and used tape.

Or do I need to solder when there is no need to and to make some people happy?:confused:

trying to sound smart, eh?:tocktock:

Because soldering is the only method you can use to prevent corrosion entering the joint, and its what a professional would do.
I always solder and heat shrink, unless the cables are in situ and I cannot get the heat shrink onto the cable (ie when splicing in to existing loom)
Electrical tape is a bodge at best, it isn't waterproof and doesn't look very aesthetic.

Yeah you really should solder it, doesnt mean it'll do any real harm if you dont tho

as said it'll look messy with tape, i've also been known to use electrical connectors then heatshrink around them instead of soldering lol

what if soldering IS NOT needed? you still solder to be a professional:scared2:

BTW regarding aesthetics, it doesn't even look like it is a job 'not professionally' done.

and sorry for being a 'cowboy' and for not being a 'professional'.

why? because i didn't solder...WTF?

I never said anyone was a cowboy. The need for soldering depends on what the job is, obviously if you are changing the oil then soldering is not needed. But if you are joining wires together and want a secure reliable connection then soldering is pertinant. There are other methods obviously, such as spade or bullet terminals, or through-crimps, but even these should be covered by heat shrink, especially in the engine bay.

when doing wires soldering is best but you could use a chocolate block and tape round it. It doesn`t look as good and may corrode over time (if it got wet) but it works all the same. All depends on what level you want to do the job at.

Same as you can paint a car with a brush or have it sprayed does the job but 2 different finishes lol

I know you're not a cowboy, and I know you complete tasks to the best of your abilities.

It's just that in my previous line of work, I've seen damaged cars due to wiring mistakes.

I'm just trying educate the masses, I love you all really :)

(in a non gay way of course).

Sorry to High jack this link. Does anyone know of a good electrics guy in the Berks/Bucks area that could succesfully solder/hook up the fogs on the vagparts fconversion kit I just purchased? (to my preface lift integrated fogs)?

Cheers,

Craig (who is not confident at all with electrics)

Woah, lets stop on the soldering here.

There isnt a car maufacturer or race team in the world would advise soldering for joining wires for automotive use.

Soldering creates stiff areas, which dont flex, and thus wires can snap.

Every professional wire join in a situation where it could move will be crimped.

Wires for cars should be crimped, not soldered.

Practical Performance car even ran a 2 page spread in a recent issue about how to join wires.

If I can find it I'll scan it.

If the cables are tied up together securely then surely they wont move

Regardless of them moving, soldering creates a joint that oxidises and corrodes, plus it very easily creates stress fractures.

If soldering was a good method of joining wires, then manufacturers would probably use it? I bet it would cost a lot less for 1 gram of solder than it would for 2x crimp connectors.

Its probably due to time constraints, to crimp on a terminal is much much quicker when constructing a car, its also safer in a factory environment due to having to extract by-product gases and health and safety issues with hot working etc.
All PCB's are soldered and there are loads of them in a car.

PCB's are fixed, there would be no stress fracture related issues.

I'll get this thing scanned on joining when I remember to bring it in.