turbo whistle

jamzee500

Reaction score
hi all,

recently when my turbo kicks in my car makes a strange whistling sound, no decrease in performance and there doesnt seem to be anything wrong other than the noise.

anyone got any ideas what this might be ?

cheers
JM

no it used to make a sucking noise (air being sucked in) now it makes more of a whistling noise, cant see any reason for it to change without there being a problem?

cheers
JM

Most probably a boost leak. If not that, could be the turbine impellers beginning to go.

il check all the hoses then, planned on part exing it this week!!! hope they dont notice !!
JM

is it like a kazoo for a couple of seconds at low speed, ie pulling away?

leecs3 said:
is it like a kazoo for a couple of seconds at low speed, ie pulling away?
yer that sort of noise but right the way through from the turbo kiking in at 3000 to going out at 5500.
JM

jamzee500 said:
yer that sort of noise but right the way through from the turbo kiking in at 3000 to going out at 5500.
JM

sounds very similar to what mine was doing before the turbo failed, the noise was the bearings due to a blocked oil feed pipe. Get it checked asap.

leecs3 said:
sounds very similar to what mine was doing before the turbo failed, the noise was the bearings due to a blocked oil feed pipe. Get it checked asap.
Hes not bothered about getting it sorted...am I the only person seeing that he does not give a ****?

voorhees said:
Hes not bothered about getting it sorted...am I the only person seeing that he does not give a ****?
i wouldnt go that far my concern was wether it is an imediate risk or if it will be fine for another week or so before i get rid of it, and in response to your comment "thats nice" no its not very nice but either is the pathetic price they will probably end up giving me as part ex like traders always do, if anything they might for once have paid the correct value for a car!!
JM

voorhees said:
what car you pax for?
going for a honda s2000 just found jap cars ive had in the past more fun to drive so thought id give the s2000 a go.
JM