No brake lights (Switch issue)

A3_Turbo

Swaying towards IHI....
Reaction score
Hi guys ive got no brake lights still havnt had for a while i dont think! Ive done the fuse and its not the bulbs so its not that.

Some-one said about the switch under the brake pedal must be that, is it easy to fix?

Cheers

Yeah fairly simple but fiddly give it an hour or so to do

It's one of those jobs that is easy when you've done it once.
Basically look up under the dash above the brake pedal.
The switch in question is easy to spot.
You need to turn this switch a quarter turn and it will pop out.
Swap the cable to the new switch and refit.

When you have done this once it is a simple 2 minute job. The first time I did one it took me 45 mins with lots of swearing and shouting.

I seem to be having the same problem.

this morning my lights were fine, but after a spirited drive this afternoon I seem to have lost all three brake lights..

can someone point me in the right direction for a new switch? do you have to take the whole dashboard off to gain access?! :(

Jimmeh said:
I seem to be having the same problem.

this morning my lights were fine, but after a spirited drive this afternoon I seem to have lost all three brake lights..

can someone point me in the right direction for a new switch? do you have to take the whole dashboard off to gain access?! :(

You just need to remove the lower panel under the steering wheel. then get your head in the footwell and have a look at the top of the brake pedal. It's very obvious when you get in there. Get a new switch from your local GSF Car parts, they're as cheap as chips.

Tip- dont buy a cheap switch i.e from Euro parts!!! they last about 5000miles...i went through 3 from Euro parts on my old car only to end up going direct to Audi.... the quality of the metal contacts is shocking and arks like nobodies business......