Finally remaped at Jabba, but got some probelms

god_thats_quick said:
Defratos, it's even more difficult that just finding someone with a 4WD dyno. You need to check with them that they can run Haldex equiped cars without buggering about, if anyone with a dyno dynamics dyno says they can I'd be very wary as I have it on good authority it won't work right.

If somewhere has a MAHA rolling road like star they should be able to run haldex equiped cars without any problems.

I can assure you that Dyno Dynamics are very capable of running S3s!
I've seen my old S3 on a Dyno Dynamics dyno close to me....but it did move about a bit!
Dyno Dynamics are able to lock the rollers too...which makes them suitable for VC type centre diffs - like 911s run!

MAHA also has problems...mine was forever trying to climb out of Stars rollers...as it also tried to do on the Dastek at Wallace Performance in Aberdeen.

Sadly, S3s - especially when running big torque - cause problems on rolling roads.

Was the plot from the dyno dynamics rollers giving spikey results as it was trying to shift power around? That was the issue I've heard about on a friends Dyno Dynamics rollers to the point where he won't run S3s or TTs because the ones he's tried have all given crap results which he wasn't happy with.

Ess_Three said:
BTW,
The first stage APR map I had fitted to mine gave similar figures I seem to recall - under 240BHP and 250 ish lb-ft of torque....and my engine was healthy with no problems...as it went on to produce 275+/330+ after several maps had been tried.

Humm, ok so I guess my engine could be alright, but what surprises me is that it was only running like 193hp before and if it was due it not being a 4wd dyno then why wouldn't other S3 on the same rollers be putting out the same figures? Which is why I jump to the conlcusion that there's something wrong with the car.

Do you remember if there was anything specifically wrong with your old S3 to be producing that kind of power? or was it just the type of remap? and several remaps later you found the one that works well?

Mine made 208BHP as standard on Star's rollers, with 199 lb-ft of torque.

Mapped with the 1st APR map it was 240 BHP and 250 lbs (somewhere around there...I'll have the dyno chart at home...along with the other 30-40!)

Anyway...it felt good to drive...but I wanted more (don't we all) so it was uploaded with another map, then another, then another...etc.

The engine was fine...although it did have a new MAF at one point, but I can't remember where that fits into the sequance.
I remember the 240 BHP and 250 lbs was on a perfectly healthy engine...

Mine ended up with 218 BHP @ the wheels (4 wheels driven) and over 332 lb-ft...so there was nothing wrong with the engine - nor, I suspect, the Star FMIC!

If your tyre pressures were low, your wheels and tyres very wide or your camber/castor way out of standard spec, you could end up with odd corrected figures.

Although, a low figure would suggest less losses than normal, so less added onto the ATW figure.

If your ATW figure is 132.8kw...that's 180BHP.
Mine was 218...so 38 more.

If mine made 275...take off 38 you are left with 237...not far off what I started with on a basic, generic re-map.

Dynos are not reliable, nor especially comparable...so you probably have nothing wrong at all.

Ess_Three said:
If your ATW figure is 132.8kw...that's 180BHP.
Mine was 218...so 38 more.

If mine made 275...take off 38 you are left with 237...not far off what I started with on a basic, generic re-map.

Dynos are not reliable, nor especially comparable...so you probably have nothing wrong at all.

Ok that makes sense, but what I don't understand is how do you gain more power from remapping the car over and over? was the car equipped with the same parts on each re-map? or did you upgrade parts like the FMIC, exhaust etc.. with each remap to gain and eventually reach your 275hp?

and is this split on the pipe normal? or is it leaking?

LEAK.jpg

im not trying to be stupid, but i fail to see any split pipe in that picture? i see one black rubber hose jubilee clamped onto a short black section, which in turn is clamped onto something else with a '1 time use' audi clip?

where is the split pipe in that pic?

That's why I say its normal, ie there is not a split in it, its a black pipe connected to a black connector. But you are right to check these pipes a leak here would play havoc with mixtures, boost etc.

Defratos said:
Ok that makes sense, but what I don't understand is how do you gain more power from remapping the car over and over? was the car equipped with the same parts on each re-map? or did you upgrade parts like the FMIC, exhaust etc.. with each remap to gain and eventually reach your 275hp?

Well, you map it and measure mixture, EGT, injector on time, knock, ignition advance, power, torque, air inlet volume and temperature, inlet air temperature etc...
and see where you can make changes...more ignition advance for top end power, more boost for more torque, more fuel (if it keeps adding more power).

You need as much info as you can....then it's experiment time...

Basically you increase boost, fuelling and ignition advance, if you have the cooled post I/C air, fuelling and engine state to do it.

The only real changes to mine were the addition of the FMIC part way through the re-mapping stages (air at the engine was getting up to over 70 degrees C after the std ICs)
I had the cats + exhaust on...

The final few tweaks were airbox, cold air feed, a spot of poerting/de-restricting, N75 etc...each giving fractionally different results.