strange noise from under the car?

RichWalk

Reaction score
Hi,

had a scout through the posts but not found anything that matches the issue;-

210 S3, it makes a strange ticking sound, almost like a leaf stuck in a bike wheel, this only happens when the engine is under load, sound like its coming from underneath the drivers side? It makes the same when driving in straight line.

I cant replicate it when the car is parked and running, and for some bizzare reason it never makes the sound driving into wo*k, but always on the way home???

Any ideas would be most appreaciated.

A stone caught in the tyre tread? Happens quite a few times with my S3.

Only other ticking sound was from the passenger side that I got this morning when I ran out of Power Steering fluid.

jesters3 said:
A stone caught in the tyre tread? Happens quite a few times with my S3.

Only other ticking sound was from the passenger side that I got this morning when I ran out of Power Steering fluid.

Thanks, definitely not a stone in the tyre, will check the PS fluid levels now

Do you have split rims on or stock style one piece wheels?

I had a weird noise like a stone in the tyre tread, but only when warm...turned out my OEM split rims were creaking as one of the bolts had stripped its thread and gone loose!

simch said:
Do you have split rims on or stock style one piece wheels?

I had a weird noise like a stone in the tyre tread, but only when warm...turned out my OEM split rims were creaking as one of the bolts had stripped its thread and gone loose!

I have the std 17" Avus wheels as OE fit, were would I look for this? The sound is a mechanical clicking, with a tiney element to it.

you sure its not a person under there and its their keys in their pocket dragging along the asphalt?

A4Quattro said:
you sure its not a person under there and its their keys in their pocket dragging along the asphalt?

if only it was that simple

my dad had this years ago in his car and im sure it was the brakes that need cleaning, the edge of the discs

I had this.... I'd got a nail stuck in my tyre..... sounded like a ticking noise...had me worried for a week. Drove round with the window down listening too it wondering what the hell it was.

claudefrog said:
turn your aircon on and off and listen to see if the noise changes

I generally drive to wo*k with the a/c on then home without it, I assume you reckon the a/c system is causing the noise, if so surely it would only make a noise when running??

sorry.. i re-read your post, you cant replicate it when sitting idling... I was getting a similar noise before, and it went away when i switched the aircon off... in the end i got it refilled and fixed the noise.. so perhaps its not the same issue :)

it might also be your charcoal filter doing it. Open your engine bay and it's on the left (on an A3)

you should hear it....i guess.