Star Performance Testing Day – Pt7 Bilsteins

Ess_Three

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
The factual bit:

As many of you know, I spent many hours down at Star Performance two days ago…12 hours in fact (08:45-20:45) having a play, testing a few things, having a load of work done, trying out a few things etc.

Firstly, thanks to Jim & Brian…12 hours and two meals later we were all knackered!
Credit where it’s due…anyone looking for decent service, advice and standard of work could do a lot worse than giving them a shout.

Secondly, none of this was free…labour rates, wheel alignment rates, dyno time, replacement parts…all paid for out of my pocket...I have the invoice for over £900 to prove it!!

Thirdly, these are our (mine, Jim’s and Brian’s) observations based upon our findings. All testing carried out with conditions kept as close to previous conditions as possible etc…some will disagree violently, some will agree…that’s your prerogative.

So, here we go again:

My standard dampers were shot...
At best the standard S3 stuff is mediocre, when worn it's appalling...so they had to go.

I drove Jim @ Star's S3 with the full Bilstein Sprint kit on it...very nice!
The ride is better than standard!

So, we fitted a set of Bilstein Sprint shortened dampers to my S3 in used my current H&R lowered springs as supplied by AmD.

What a difference...not harsh, just well balanced damping rates that make the car a pleasure to drive - something it's never been previously. It really should come from the factory with suspension like this.

The car feels much more planted now...obviously it rolls less...but all the wallowing and pitching has gone too...it's now much more easily placed in corners.

Anyone looking for a damper swap who doesn't want the expence etc of coilovers should consider these dampers.

Impressed, once again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone looking for a damper swap who doesn't want the expence etc of coilovers should consider these dampers.

Impressed, once again!

[/ QUOTE ]

damn thats two recommendations in one day, i dont think i can take much more of this. and i havent read pt8 yet.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Mark

sit down and rest mate! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Have to say, got Bilsteins and H&R and what a dif, the car really comes alive in the bends now rather than wallowing around.

One thing I can say, through experience, NEVER put the springs on without the uprated dampers, I done it and the car bounces about like an old boat, Star did warn me, I have to say. Do the complete package or not at all. A bit more cash but the right way to do it none the less..