Speed Camera Detectors

A3_Turbo

Swaying towards IHI....
Reaction score
Just wanted a bit of advice really,

Got done i think last night, on a pitch black causeway the Pig jumped out in the road with his ****** jacket on and his zapper gun no way you would of seem him.

Just wondered if those Tom-toms with the laser detection on them are actually any good? I mean would they actually detect the Police with speed guns or is it just a waste of money?

Cheers

Mate, if you get done just protest it the handheld guns have been proven to be highly innacurate,
http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/

Personallly i use a Snooper S4 neo with RLD100 unit, They are deffinatly worth having as they work off gps and if a laser/rader gun is being fired.

Problem with laser detectors is - for them to detect it, it has to be being aimed at you. By that point it's too late.

Only one's that are of any real use are radar jammers which aren't legal and can get you into a bit of trouble if you're caught with one.

As far as i'm aware, if it's a handheld gun they need to stop you there and then for you to get done. Could be wrong tho

I thought they had to stop you there any then too, although im not so sure about the ones mounted in the backs of vans in laybys.

As for detection, i use a road angel, the older 'new road angel' version (how ironic!)

I've been told the tom tom camera stuff isnt great, and I didnt think tomtom's could do laser detection?

the road angel I use is gps based, and warns me of all fixed camera locations, it also has 360 degree laser detection, which does work.

the problem is though, as rodenal said, by the time its detected it, you have to be VERY fast reacting to slow down.

Mines gone off about 7 times for police in the year ive been using it, every time when I've been in the outside lane of a dual carriage way either early morning or around dusk, and every time there has been a police man pointing his gun in my direction. I'm not usually over the limit by much if at all though, so its never been an issue for me having to jam on the brakes.

I love the road angel though, it can tell you of blackspots and congestion zones, and also saved me once when I removed my sump (via a bump in the road) in the middle of nowhere, I didnt know where I was on the moors, and the AA couldnt locate me at all. I gave them the LAT and LONG from the road angel, and they found me in no time!

Jammers are obviously illegal, and very annoying, because if i ever pass a car with a jammer, it sets the road angel off for laser alert!

You can usually pick up a good road angel with a years subscription for under £150 on ebay, Frenchman recently got a mint one for £80, and our local cash convertors had one with no cables for £50!

Hmm i dont mind bending the law a little who doesnt hey! i might just get a road angel after what you guys said but you may as well spend a bit extra and have the Sat nav too surely?

Well maybe im okay then? he was pointing it at the car next to me in the left hand lane i saw him slam the brakes on thats how i saw him so im guessing he got me too?

Hopefully i dont get anything in the post!

Jason

I've got a road angel and they only work once they press the trigger so really its too late if its a direct hit.

My understanding is that they cannot check your speed at night.

I really love my road angel. As prawn said i picked mine up for £80 and its like brand new. Does exactly what i want it too. The laser detector does go nuts though if anyone with a laser jammer is about. Gave me a bit of a fright the first time round.

I have a road angel and a jammer, and neither sets the other one off. They both definately work, but only when targetted by a laser gun.
Laser detection on it's own is pretty pointless as it relies on the operator to be targetting someone else for it to work, in which case I doubt they'd get both vehicles unless they were very far away and totally pointless if you're the only car speeding. If they're targetting you then you have approximately 3 nano seconds to react and bring your speed under the limit so in that situation all a detector does is confirm you've just been done.
As to the legality, well speeding is illegal, so if you're that concerned about breaking the law by installing a jammer then surely you wouldn't be speeding in the first place. As we all know that's nigh on impossible so what's the issue? If you take the **** with the jammer then you will be prosecuted, but used sensibly and it's totally safe.

I see Roadangel seems the right way forward then, where do you get these illegal jammers from then? Im guessing you have to see the bloke and press a button very quickly to jam the laser? In which case you'd have to have VERY good reactions.

I spose there's just no getting round it the pigs will always be hiding somewhere! Can you update the roadangel regually then? Has anyone properley installed it in their car without just plugging it into the Cig lighter if you get me?

Cheers

It think Target do one and brand it as a garage door opener. Not sure how they work.

They are not always on. They detect a laser signal from a speed gun and then send a duff one back so that the gun can't get a reading throwing up an error. Then after 5 seconds they shut down so that the operator can get a signal by which time you have hopefully slowed down.
You can get them from:
http://www.radar-detector-shop.co.uk/products/lt400.htm

Hahahahahahaha, I cant believe I am stupid enough to have not thought of that!

Surely they couldn’t sell that though? As soon as you tried to renew the subscription, it would flag up as a stolen unit surely :S

Then again, its not as if cash convertors are going to know that!

MattS3 said:
With a radar gun they can. I have 6 points and got a £350 fine to prove it ;)

Oh no they can! :faint:

I was always under the impression they could not! boo :(

Best invest I think..

That RA with no cables is probably my old one which was nicked in the afternoon while the car was on the drive. They couldn't nick the cable as the unt was hardwired in. I reported it stolen to blackspot but I'd bt they'd allow someone to renew the subscription.