Help choosing oil please?

Mike H

Reaction score
Hi people, need to top up the old oil, can someone recommend me a good oil to get?

I have a pre facelift, 99V plate S3.

Your help is appreciated in advance.

Mike

Halfords fully synthetic 5w40 or Quantum fully synthetic 5w40 and changed every 5000 miles.

I use Edge and mine burns through it for fun. Think I might try Mobil next as you can buy it for about £25 from Costco.

I have heard nothing but good things about the halfords motorsport fully synthetic oil. I believe the 5-50W variant is the one to go for, thats whats going in my 1.8t next time its serviced.

Brilliant! Just spoke to Guy @ Opie, and he was really helpful and has done me a fantastic deal!

did you go for the motul 0w 30 xcess?

its not 503.01 (IIRC) approved. I've been told it's not the right oil for the S3/TT's

jonS3 said:
its not 503.01 (IIRC) approved. I've been told it's not the right oil for the S3/TT's
I'm with Ed and APS on this one. Synta Gold is only 'not the right oil' if you are on variable servicing i.e. AVS where the oil has to meet the VAG oil standard 503.01 as you say.

If you stick to standard fixed interval servicing i.e. oil change no more than every 10k / 1 year (I do mine every 5k) then it is ok and a damn sight cheaper than the 503.01 level stuff.

synta gold used to be the favoured oil of german and swedish but it's been replaced by Fuchs Titan.

some of the guys off RS246 used an american firm to have their oil analysed, during the process he advised them to use the Fuchs oil as he's seen some very good results from it

jonS3 said:
did you go for the motul 0w 30 xcess?

Yeah I did go for that.

I paid £35 for enough to do a full oil change...delivered. Seemed fair to me, and he really does know his stuff , seen a few of his posts on forums that I use...

It should be here today.

i've been buying oil off opie for years, they certainly do know there stuff and are always happy to talk even if you're only after a few litres. Excellent delivery service too, and good prices.

It arrived exactly when Guy said it would, and I've topped up the car. Possibly a tiny touch too much as I've burnt a tiny amount off through the zorst. Worried myself for a second lol.