Remote Upgrade Kit

cybrey

Reaction score
Ordered this on Monday from vagparts, and it promptly arrived this morning and was a doddle to install /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ( Even I could do it so it must be simple).

Did have a couple of questions.

Has anyone wired it into the indicators as well ? Is it easy ? Any sites with instructions on ?

connected.jpg

Thats a picture of the unit installed from vagparts' website. What is the black wire coming out on the very far right hand side of the unit ? Is this the indicator wiring or is it an aerial ( One thing I was a little disappointed in was the range and I was wondering if I missed something from the instructions).

Thanks in advance for any help .. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:
What does the kit do?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's one for the full closure system, i.e. one button touch and the windows fully close etc.....If I'm thinking of the rights system that is.

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:
What does the kit do?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's one for the full closure system, i.e. one button touch and the windows fully close etc.....If I'm thinking of the rights system that is.

[/ QUOTE ]

No,

I think this kit is for cars that didnt have remote locking as standard...

Rich

Rich is right.. The remote upgrade kit is for models where the optional extra of remote central locking wasn't taken. The car already did total closure etc through the key, but I wanted remote central locking.

My first set of questions is kinda answered in another instruction manual that I over looked. The instructions are very vague, but I'll have a go at the weekend.. take some pictures and then upload em if I get it right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If anyone can confirm exactly where the indicator cables plug into the wiring loom I would be very grateful. The instructions say
[ QUOTE ]
"on the back-up lights"

[/ QUOTE ]
and some instructions on VAGparts say [ QUOTE ]
"All you have to do is insert the two supplied wires into the control multiplug in the positions shown in the manual and then crimp them onto the matching coloured wires in the car wiring loom (If you look in the photo you can make out the green and black wire)".

[/ QUOTE ]

So I'll have a good look around that area at the weekend to see if I can make out what they're talking about.

In answer to my second question I think I'm missing a part. ( antenna cable). I've phoned VAGparts and as usual they were very helpful and they're going to look into it. I'll let you know if this is the case tomorrow when I find out.

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
No,

I think this kit is for cars that didnt have remote locking as standard...

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

I love being wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I fitted it to mine, all I can remember is needing small hands and not being able to get all the foam in and out in one piece while removing the control unit(I couldn't manage to do it without removing it!). My only gripe is that the indicators only flash when you arm the system, not disarm it. There is def. an wire for the antenna attached.

[ QUOTE ]
khufu said:
There is def. an wire for the antenna attached.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks Khufu, I thought there must be .. the range is awful and the picture on the site shows one.. I'll give VAGParts another ring in the morning, and get one sent out.

Khufu any chance you could have a look at your installation and see if you see where the green and black ( indicators) wires go into the wiring loom and see if its either of the two wires blocks that can be seen in first picture in this thread.

Cheers..

I've checked and I dont have them connected. As I still have the box and instructions I assume I never got the wires, cant remember that far back LOL. Sorry about the quality, its my phone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif You can see the antenna to the right.

Thanks a lot for the khufu. I think I'll probably give it a miss anyway as the horn sounds..

But at least I can see the aerial component I'm missing on that photo.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

fitted this myself about a year or so ago (updated the fitted instructions on vag-parts about the total closure and how to set the pins correctly!as its explained wrong in manual!)as for the two wires... still have them and never got round to fitting them,after reading this though and kinda not liking the fact that when i unlock the car nothing flashes and the only way to tell is the interior lights come on,not what i really like.checked the instructions and it seems the wires to connect to are part of the loom (not clearly explained though...) you come across while fitting the remote to the pump.shall go and have a nose after and see if i can fit them...would be worth it if the indicators flash when opened (twice preferably to once when locked)would be clearer that way.

your defiantly missing the atenna as i have no problem activating at a good distance,when you do get it make sure you leave it free on the top so its got good clearance from anything or itll affect your signal.

shall go and have a gander...

update:

fitted the two wires to the corresponding ones on the loom and hey presto the car flashes ones to show its unlocked and twice when its being locked! easy.
the wires to connect to are pretty easy to find just unravel the big loom the connects to the pump and you see a small group of wires that seperate from this,then judt look at these,you see two wires which match the two you need connected,connect the two to each identical one and make sure you connect the pins at the other end into the box (two spare connection pionts available)the green wires goes in the top hole and the black directly below,you should be looking at the connection box withe the antenna wire connect piot to your right.

once this is done test it,it works for me.

hope this helps.

ne chance you could take a photo ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mate its real easy (dont have a camera sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )if you look at the top picture of this post if you see where it says vortex on the box (this is the one the two wires connect into,and as you look at this the green wires connects on top and black below on the left hand side,you should just be able to see the green wire!)
to the left of the box is a loom of wiring,you need to look in that for your matching wires...that it!!

Thanks.. wondered if it was that block. I knew the wires went into the black box ( as its in the instructions) but I was unsure where to stick the wires afterwards.

So looking at the picture at the top they actually go into the red plug to the left of the black box.. ( if you get what I mean).

yer mate thats it,glad you could figure my explaining! glad i fitted them now myselfsafer when locking and unlocking,did worry for a moment though when i connected the pins into the box,had no flashing from the indicators at all...once i connected the wires together though everything was sweet.should have done this in the beginning on first instalation but like you say the instructions are a little vague arnt they....

Vague aren't the right word.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

At the moment by remote kit is just bodged in .. going to spend some time at the weekend sorting it out properly and I'll have a go at doing the indicators at the same time. I'll take some pictures at the same time to try and clear up the instructions.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks rockstar for the help ..