Urgent-Brake lights not working

fazzybear

Reaction score
As above not working and that includes the led one at the top of the rear window,
looked at the fuses and seem fine, what else can i check?

could be the pedal switch.

my lights did not work on my A3, and it was the switch under the the dash above the pedals that had gone. ( probably same place on S3). cheap to replace that can be difficult to get at.

Agree with nickel101, it's most probably the brake switch, takes 30 minutes to swop if you know how, the switch itself is quite fragile and can be a bit tricky to thread into the springloaded metal clip at the top of the pedal.

Got a clue how much the switch is and can just use a pattern part or are these *****

would you not get a warning on the display?

fazzybear said:
Got a clue how much the switch is and can just use a pattern part or are these *****

would you not get a warning on the display?

Buy one from the dealer, they are under £20 IIRC, after fitting, you will need to spend 5 minutes or so adjusting it so the switch works when you touch the brake pedal, do not drop the switch or use force when installing, really fragile they are!

i had this exact problem on my s3 about 3 weeks ago, all i had to do was pull the switch pin out and it's been fine!

You saying it got stuck in there ed and you "freed" it up, i will try that 2morow
cheers for the guestimate jojo :thumbsup:

Replaced the brake light switch on my 2002 S3 a few weeks ago and the part cost £6.54 + vat from Audi dealer, took me about 20-30 mins to fit it

Common problem from what I can see,as above paid about £8 and everything seems fine now

Is it the black switch which extends when you press the pedal down, its the first thing you see when you stick your head down there?

Its not hidden behined the brack pedal bracket is it?

strange mine stopped working today too lol i went down my locall motor factors and bought one 6 pound works fine now lol...

euro carparts do one as well. yes it is the black switch that extends when you press the pedal. good luck with the change :thumbsup:

Well no need to worry lads ive done it, bought the wrong one first but its all done and working (touch desk)

Mine went the day I picked it up from the local stealers after a service (very costly after a few replacement parts were needed). A friend noticed none of my brake lights were working; so I took it straight back and they replaced the switch for free... Moral - Well worth taking it back if you've just spent loads of money even if it totally un-related! Just my two cents.
(BTW it's a V reg so no longer under warranty)