S3 Questions

unkle

Beer God
Reaction score
Im planning to spend the next 18 months retraining so Im getting rid of the GTI and planning to buy something cheapish, sort of narrowed it down to either an high mileage S3 or a A3 TDI quattro (8L's of course), couple of quick questions:

Ive seen a few S3's on Autotrader, theres a couple of cheap ones in the high 90k/100k bracket, how many miles is the S3 engine good for assuming its been looked after? If its a high mileage one and I get a third party warranty, any recommendations or would it be better to get an Audi Approved one and pay a bit extra for piece of mind? Whats the average MPG? Original vs Facelift? 210 vs 225? Im going to be doing mostly commuting so what are they like for going through tires? Im not interested about chipping it/suspension etc.

As for the TDI, I like the idea of 4wd but is it worth it vs lower mpg?

Thanks for any info, apologies for the n00bie questions, been lucky enough to either of had a company van or new car for the last ten years so never really had to bother with any of this...

I dont think high mileage is a problem on S3 if it has been looked after, ive seen many a S3 & TT with 100,000 miles plus on. A friend of mine brought a TT 225 with 120k on had it chipped and is still running perfect now with 130k on!
There was an S3 on ebay not so long back with 150k on it! Im not sure how good the car was but the guy selling it said there were no problems.

In summary i think if there car has been serviced and looked after it should be a good buy.

After all this is Audi build quality we are talking about here:icon_thumright: the finest German engineering.

Jon

I've got a MY2002 225 S3

1. How many miles is the S3 engine good for assuming its been looked after?

Mine was changed at 93k, the only reason was the water pump went bang. As long as it is looked after, maintained and serviced correctly they should be good for a long while. Coil packs were a major issue but the majority have been rectified, i'm still on the orginal turbo and DV and the car has done 147k! Check that the Cambelt has been done and look at the DIS to see when the next service is.

2. If its a high mileage one and I get a third party warranty, any recommendations or would it be better to get an Audi Approved one and pay a bit extra for piece of mind?

Each to their own. I was lucky and had an Audi warranty at the time that saved my neck! Otherwise for such a high mileage car it would be pointless as the majority won't warranty a 5 year old 100,000 mile car. Even is they do they would only do 30% of parts and labour. Make sure it is looked after and you can do the odd change (filter, oil etc) and so save the money on the warranty and spend it wisely on the car.

Whats the average MPG?

30.5mpg at present. On the old engine it was 28mpg. Depends how you drive it. My daily router is 45mins of backroads and dual carriage-ways with the odd sprint here and there. Again check DIS this will give you an idea of how its is being driven (though it can be reset).

Original vs Facelift?

Facelift I reckon. You at least get the nicer gearknob and front light.

210 vs 225?

Drove both. Minimal difference. Though 4th on the 225 is a pulling machine. Again depends on the budget and what you are looking to do with it. But for the cash get the addtional horses and torque.

Im going to be doing mostly commuting so what are they like for going through tires?

Again driving style. If commuting I guess they will last well into 15+k. During my time F1s - 11k. Contis - 17k. PS2s - 15k. T1-S 11k. Either way £100.00 a shoe. Check the wear on the tyres when you buy and make sure you have a good bit of tread. Also look at the tyre to make sure they are the same across all four. The spare is a space saver but check that it is okay.

Im not interested about chipping it/suspension etc.

You will be....