£1500 To Spend... What Do I Get..

T11OM F

Fearon
Reaction score
Website
www.sloar-shades.eu
Hello

I have £1500 to spend on the S3.. Its STD form at the moment...

Getting a remap for free... so that saves a wodd of cash..
Uprating the Induction hose
Silicone hoses all round (take it silicone is just the same as samco job wise?, just cheaper)
Front Mounted Intercooler
Dump Valve

All those are high on the list, and ive priced up about £300 for those parts...

Ive been told not to change the induction unit, as it looses power??

Next is a Full System, Which system is best, Miltek? De cat or cat?

Coilovers or just springs?
ebay item number: 280159639213

Then im looking at getting a Set of those Lambo Alloys and tyres!..

Am i on the right track, or not???

Thanks Guys

TIP (induction hose) - Possibly but only if you experience problems with the original collapsing otherwise save your money.

Silicone hoses - save your money

Front mount - save your money

Dump valve - definitely, standard ones dont last long, no performance gain to be had though

Exhaust? - Save your money, no performance gains to be had.

Induction? - save your money

Suspension? - Spend all your £1500 on suspension and brakes, this is where the inherent problems (read problems as deficiencies) with the S3 lie.

£1500 would get you 3/4 of my a3, which would remind you every time you drove it how much you really liked your S3! :D

Tempting, i know lol

With all due respect to DPM, I'm getting a bit sick of this type of blatant advertising.

DPM, all that stuff is all well and good but there is no mention of brakes which, besides the handling, is the S3's biggest downfall.

A brembo kit alone (which everyone agrees is the perfect braking solution for the S3) will cost circa £900, leaving £600 for suspension. Not a lot.

I have spent a fair bit of money on mine.. but i have to agree the standard suspension and brakes are shocking.. I`m running Brembos and Bilsteins and its far better.. Just anto roll bars to do..

Stewart said:
With all due respect to DPM, I'm getting a bit sick of this type of blatant advertising.

DPM, all that stuff is all well and good but there is no mention of brakes which, besides the handling, is the S3's biggest downfall.

A brembo kit alone (which everyone agrees is the perfect braking solution for the S3) will cost circa £900, leaving £600 for suspension. Not a lot.

Sorry and i'm sorry if other people feel the same but DPM Autostyling put alot of money into this forum each year to aid to it's running costs so we feel we have a right to advertise and hopefully provide advise and parts for forum members at a very good price.

As for the parts i've mentioned, i personally think all of those would be, and actually have been, on my list before new brakes on the S3 8L as i really don't think the S3's brakes are that bad especially when you compare it to the S3's handling which is shocking as standard!

Once again i apologise if us advertising in post annoys other members.

:sorry:

DPM said:
Sorry and i'm sorry if other people feel the same but DPM Autostyling put alot of money into this forum each year to aid to it's running costs so we feel we have a right to advertise and hopefully provide advise and parts for forum members at a very good price.

As for the parts i've mentioned, i personally think all of those would be, and actually have been, on my list before new brakes on the S3 8L as i really don't think the S3's brakes are that bad especially when you compare it to the S3's handling which is shocking as standard!

Once again i apologise if us advertising in post annoys other members.

:sorry:

There is advertising and there is advertising, blatantly pushing products within a thread in that way is just too much regardless of how much money you put into backing a forum.
It's not allowed on 90% of forums and shouldn't be the exception here, IMO of course.

If you think that the standard brakes on a chipped S3 are ok then the ability to stop 'safely' time and again are obviously not high on your list of priorities.

The standard brakes ARE dire and will NOT stop you after a third or fourth heavy application, this cannot be disputed, they are simply not up to the job.

I'm not saying that the S3 brakes are the best out there but i do think for everyday day use then they are up to the job and each and everytime i've pushed them hard they've never let me down, track use on the other hand and i would have to agree with you.

In my honest opinion i would prefer to spend more money on the suspension side of the S3 to get that better as i think that's in more need then more on the brakes, again though that is my personal opinion and choice.

A brake upgrade on an S3 is a really good choice and highly recommended and we do it for customers all the time, suspension though is what i'd correct first as i think that's alot more dire then what the brakes are.

Its been photoshopped out to see what it looks like.. think im going to have it done..

dont do it pat!

im all for smoothing, but taking the bumper recess away from the S3 makes the front end seem to rounded and bubbly, it looses its aggression somehow. the plate breaks it up a bit.

anyway, you need to run a front plate or you will get pulled ALL the time.

Damians post was VERY blatently pushing his own products, and i agree it wouldnt be allowed on 90% of forums I use.

However, if he hadnt suggested all those parts, Myself, or someone else would have done, and then when T11OM F asked where to get them from, I cant think of a place that can supply everything together, and offer as good a discount as DPM will for forum members.

I don't think the standard S3 brakes are THAT bad for road use.

I agree Stewart that they aren't up to track use, and will not withstand repeated hard stops, but when do you ever do repeated hard stops on the road?

Driving quickly on the road is all about being flowing and linking things together, by all means go fast down the straights and corner fast, but on the road, back off 50 yards earlier, brake 50 yards sooner, and not so hard, you can still take the corner at the same speed, but why the need to hammer the brakes?

Based on the 2 hours test drive I had of an S3, I'd say the handling is in FAR greater need of a solution than the brakes.

I'm with Stewart on this one..
My standard brakes lasted under a week...and were swapped for grooved discs and better pads as standard the brakes are verging on dangerous.

Suspension is all well and good..but £1500 is going to go in one go to make it perfect.

If it were my money, I'd sort the brakes, and have a 4 wheel alignment done with aggressive settings (and play with the tyre pressures for free) then start saving for some 'real' suspension work.

Perhaps the Brembo jr kit, replace any worn standard bushes and the alignment...and bank £300 in change.

Or, if you are feeling brave, do the brakes and add the adjustable rear tie bars, then dial in some aggressive geometry and enjoy driving it...whilst you save up for springs/dampers.

An uprated DV I can agree with...if it's mapped - if not just fit a latest type Bosch replacement and leave it be - but since you are getting a re-map, go with a known good quality replacement aftermarket item.

I'd not bother with a FMIC until you are really cranking the boost up...so save your money there.

The TIP gave me no extra power, despite some claiming maracles (dyno proven) so if you aren't suffering with collapsing hoses, save your cash....in fact if you aren't going to be running 1.8+ bar of boost, I'd not bother with uprated boost hoses either - you don't need them.
Of course, if you want to spend the cash on bling, go ahead.

Prawn said:
However, if he hadnt suggested all those parts, Myself, or someone else would have done, and then when T11OM F asked where to get them from, I cant think of a place that can supply everything together, and offer as good a discount as DPM will for forum members.

I can, but I won't, all you have to do is ring round the well known tuners who also post on this forum and they will price match at the very least.

Prawn said:
I don't think the standard S3 brakes are THAT bad for road use.

I agree Stewart that they aren't up to track use, and will not withstand repeated hard stops, but when do you ever do repeated hard stops on the road?

Where did I mention track use?? I said that after the third or fourth heavy application, you will not be able to stop.

Do non of you guys ever go out for a good old spirited drive round your local countryside (at night of course when there is less traffic and you can see headlights coming) or do you simply take the missus shopping and have the odd traffic light grand prix to justify the thousands spent on an Audi badge in an effort to beat the chavs into moral submission?!?!?

Prawn said:
Driving quickly on the road is all about being flowing and linking things together, by all means go fast down the straights and corner fast, but on the road, back off 50 yards earlier, brake 50 yards sooner, and not so hard, you can still take the corner at the same speed, but why the need to hammer the brakes?

Hammer is too harsh a word but a good, fun, spirited drive around your local greenery will see your brakes fade in under three corners, guaranteed. If you don't then you are driving like a granny. Prawn? Linking things together when you're driving? Are you making daisy chains?? :p

Prawn said:
Based on the 2 hours test drive I had of an S3, I'd say the handling is in FAR greater need of a solution than the brakes.

Edited as I didn't read that quote properly, but if GENERALLY speaking if you sort the suspension, this will allow you to drive quicker as the car will feel more planted and driver confidence will build.
Driver confidence building = Faster and faster speeds, especially around bends

The brakes will be found out in very short order.

DPM, where did I say they were dangerous???

I said that to stop safely time after time I.E 3, 4 and more times they are simply not up to the job.

Back on topic, brakes and suspension have to be his top priorities on his soon to be chipped car.

Stewart said:
Do non of you guys ever go out for a good old spirited drive round your local countryside

Prawn? Linking things together when you're driving? Are you making daisy chains?? :p

I totally agree which is why I suggested suspension AND brakes.

I do regularly go out for a late night spirited drive, but I've got a properly built track car for that purpose, and its 100% more fun than the audi can ever be. I've not been able to cook the brakes in my mini, no matter HOW hard I try, and believe me, I've REALLY tried. Custom home made brake setups for the win!

You know what i mean about linking things together :detective2:

General fast driving on the road, is more about being flowing and smooth, and making quick progress, rather than the race track style flat out to the last minute then just hit the braking point and just scrub enough speed to hit the apex....

We all love a good fast drive, im no granny!

Back on topic as you said, i think the most important thing, is that he sorts suspension AND brakes out first!

thinking about it, £1500 would give you enough cash for a set of Brembo's, H&R springs, and some billies..... Pick up a second hand forge DV on ebay for £50 and your onto an all round winner....

Stewart said:
DPM, where did I say they were dangerous???

I said that to stop safely time after time I.E 3, 4 and more times they are simply not up to the job.

Back on topic, brakes and suspension have to be his top priorities on his soon to be chipped car.

Stewart, where did i say you said they were dangerous? It was Glen who mentioned he thought they were dangerous.

Anyway, Tom it's really up to yourself on how you think the car feels and also what you think needs doing first. Either way the suspension and the brakes are good things to change on the S3 to items that have been mention, uprated dampers, ARB's, springs, brakes and tie bars and will also increase the joy of driving the car and basically make it a better all round car.

Pick wisely my friend!

:laugh:

:icon_thumright:

Prawn said:
I do regularly go out for a late night spirited drive, but I've got a properly built track car for that purpose, and its 100% more fun than the audi can ever be. I've not been able to cook the brakes in my mini, no matter HOW hard I try, and believe me, I've REALLY tried. Custom home made brake setups for the win!

You know what i mean about linking things together :detective2:

General fast driving on the road, is more about being flowing and smooth, and making quick progress, rather than the race track style flat out to the last minute then just hit the braking point and just scrub enough speed to hit the apex....

We all love a good fast drive, im no granny!

Back on topic as you said, i think the most important thing, is that he sorts suspension AND brakes out first!

thinking about it, £1500 would give you enough cash for a set of Brembo's, H&R springs, and some billies..... Pick up a second hand forge DV on ebay for £50 and your onto an all round winner....

Well, just a question since you talk about cooking the brakes, and how about the standard brakes on a 1.8T ?

Is it easy to cooke those brakes when your car is stock ? OEM discs and Pads also ?

I've a problem with my front discs and that's why I'm after two new discs.

easy to cook them? i can cook mine in 1 hard stop, totally.

If you try to come to a standstill from 100mph as quickly as possible (not that you would ever do this on the road or track!) the standard 288mm brakes will overheat completely and fade.

that said, ive unfortunately got VERY cheap ebay discs on there at the moment, which go blue under hard braking, so thats not a good benchmark.

either way, when i had my car remapped, i ****** the standard brakes about 5 times on the first day, just through being able to get up so much more speed than before along the straights.

Im doing a ko3S upgrade as you know, so will have a lot of power. I was going for a porsche 4 pot setup, but it didnt work out to plan, and ive now decided that a 312mm setup should be perfectly good enough on an A3.

the A3 weighs 250kg less than the S3, and if you add some good aftermarket discs and pads to the equation, I think they will stop the A3 just fine.

Ok,

I understand now :)

I'm having two options, or the black diamond with ferodo ds 2500
or the brembo sport with ferodo ds 2500.

Both with 288x25!

Should I go the the black diamond and forget the brembos ?

personally, i thought daves black diamonds with ds2500 pads were incredible!

Can you afford some 312mm carriers? you would see a huge increase in power if you went for 312's, the pads dont change, the discs arent MUCH more, you just need the carrier.

Well, the only with 312, is if they fit on 16inch :(
If they fit then I can think on buying the discs and the carriers!

the vag parts link doesnt work, but if its the link to 312mm carriers, priced at something like £97.50, then thats what you're after!

Has anyone got or heard if the zerosixty discs from Awesome gti are any good?

Prawn,

Yes that's the item!

So what I'll need to this conversion.

The carriers, that I found at £97.50
The 312 mm discs, black diamond, grooved and drilled ? (or just grooved ?)
Ferodo DS2500 pads (use the same that I'll use with 288mm discs ?)
Then of course I'll have to change the brake fuild!
That will be the first mod on my A3, then I'll go to the others it's something that will take it's time, but it will be done!

Regards

yup, the calipers and hoses dont change, you dont even HAVE to bleed the brakes. the pads are bought normally for your car, theyre £135.

get teh grooved only discs, drilled discs are bad.

Prawn said:

Isn't it all about driver style?
I drive like you describe above...hit the brakes very hard and late, chuck in it (often de-stabilised, to get the damn thing moving) then hard on the power coming out, making the chassis work.
Which is fine if you have the chassis and grip to do it...I'm far from smoth....road and track.

For a free mod...remove the inner debris shields from the front...that'll let more air in and give standard sized discs an extra stop or two before they fade.

Ess_Three said:
For a free mod...remove the inner debris shields from the front...that'll let more air in and give standard sized discs an extra stop or two before they fade.

You forgot the weight saving there's to be had. :)

jojo said:
You forgot the weight saving there's to be had. :)
thats pointless in an S3 its already weighs the same as a hurd of african elephants! and you won't change that easily! unless you put them all on diets and snip off their heavy tusks! then sell on the black market, then you've got more money to spend! sorry dunno where i'm going with this, just finished a 12hour shift at work!:lazy: its 4am!