WANTED: S3 caliper carriers, have you upgraded to brembos? got some spare?

Prawn

My other car is a MINI!!!!
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hi Guys, i know there is a classified section, but i figured if nobody is thinking of buying/selling stuff, they're not going to look in a wanted section!

so, a plea to all those who have upgraded to brembos:

does anyone have a set of S3 caliper carriers spare that they want to sell me?

they cost £115 new, but for some mental reason, all the people on vw forums think they are £220 new, so try to sell them for £100!

Im happy to pay good money for a set, but £15 less than brand new is silly!

Really needing a set, as my current discs are very worn, and ive got some brand new 312's just waiting to go on, but i need the carriers!

Anybody want to help a prawn in need?

might have to bite the bullet and buy brand new, you could try breakers but they probably wont want to split the calipers.

I accept i may have to buy them new :( but if theres someone out there whos upgraded to brembos, and fancies making £60-70 for getting shot of some old stuff, then every one is a winner!

i've upgraded to Brembo's, so I've got standard S3 calipers, carriers, and brake hoses

if you make me an offer by pm i might be interested in selling them. My plan was to put the brakes back to standard when i sell the car, but the brembo's may help sell it and are a must with the remap.

Anybody? I PM'd Jon, but probably offended him by saying I only wanted the carriers not the calipers and hoses :(

Just need some carriers people. A3/S3 calipers are the same.

Prawny

Have you tried GSF? I get about 20% discount from my local vw dealer so may be able to source you some cheaper. I've upgraded to Brembo's but won't sell the carriers without the calipers.

Yea I've tried GSF, they dont do them at all, and cant get them in!

The problem is, as you said, you have upgraded to Brembos, and don't want to sell the carriers without the calipers, which is completely fair.

The problem in that, is that with S3 and A3/mk4/late mk3 calipers all being the same, you wont find anybody (unless they are stupid) who has any use for the calipers and hoses at all!

the only people that can make use of the carriers, already have the right calipers.

its a vicious circle!

If you are able to ask your VW dealer how much a set would cost that would be awesome, if its not too much trouble of course!

Mate, id recommend just buying the calipers and carriers, because then you can just pair up the calipers with your old 288 carriers, and a few sets have recently gone on E38 for around £80, so more than likely will work out cheaper than buying new.

thats what i plan on doing if i ever get round to painting them and posting them up for sale lol!

believe it or not mate i had that exact same idea driving home this evening!

although, who would want 288's i have no idea, they are possibly the worst brakes ive ever used!

are you running 312's on yours already? notice much of a difference?

how much would you guys be wanting for your S3 calipers and carriers then?

Prawn said:
Anybody? I PM'd Jon, but probably offended him by saying I only wanted the carriers not the calipers and hoses :(

Just need some carriers people. A3/S3 calipers are the same.

Prawny

Hi, sorry didn't reply quicker, but i'd prefer to sell both together really

cheers

Jon

I have the full S3 set up for sale not sure if I want to break them up but your welcome to make me an offer on the carriers.

Hi Silver, I would be more than happy to make you an offer on the carriers!

They are £115 brand new from VAGparts, so I reckon a sensible offer would be £70 posted. Does that tempt you at all?

As I said earlier, anyone who can upgrade to 312’s already has the callipers, so in theory, there should be nobody ever in need of the callipers and carriers! Unless they want to put an S3 back to standard for some mad reason from brembos!

I’ve had all the bushes and eibach ARB’s done yesterday, just got the new shocks and springs to go on in a few weeks, and the remap if I ever get my intercooler!

Need brakes people!

Good call Jay! thanks mate.

Silver: Ill have a scout around, If I cant find anything cheaper, I'll be in touch :)

How did you come to have a set of spare S3 brakes? I thought you had a 1.8t?

Cheers guys

Nick

I bought the S3 brakes from another member who had upgraded to porsche brakes, but I never got round to fitting or selling them :shrug:

I got a full set of S3 brakes, and suspension of ebay the other day for 99p, cant believe how jammy that was.:)

Neither did the bloke when i went to pick them up? he said he wished he would have weighed them in for scrap for more money:p

Thought about it? but thhought id probably end up wearing the disks if i asked.:tapedshut: