OBDII Diagnostic Software off eBay

Its just Vagcom is'nt it, I think you can get it free from places (this is not legal though)

Personally I think you would be better off getting vag.com, you can download the initial version free online and then if you want or need more features or technical support you can get it registered for $100.

Your better of buying a cable and using the free-ware version from ross-tec if all your wanting to do is check for faults and adjust basic settings. For about £100 maybe more you can buy the cable with built in dongle (do a search on the form about vag-com its about £40 iirc) and as someone else said buy the full version of vag-com from ross-tech for $100

sorry to sound like a noob... but how do you attach to your car ..? somewhere on the ecu..? also.. what can you do with it..? anything beneficial.?

:)

the OBD port on the car is inside. on yours (pre facelift from your av) there is a small plastic cover at the very front of the centre console, under the ashtray, pop it off and you will see the connector!

On my pre facelift S3 the port is located on the undertrim of my dash just below the headlight controls

I think it moved there later on, the S3 didnt come out until 99, yet the A3 has been around since 97, i know my mums 97, and my 98 both have it in the centre console.

I am primarily looking to get the code for my radio and the software on eBay seems to offer that ability – “radio decoding software”. I do not think the free Ross-Tech does and I don’t have $99 for the licence. Cheapest quote for radio code from stealers is £15+VAT making the eBay software cheapest avenue. The eBay software is “over 670Mb” whereas free Ross-tech software is only 1.31Mb so I don’t think they are one and the same. Guess no1 has purchased the eBay version – if I do I will let you know what I think.