How to Remove Aerial Base?

dot32

Reaction score
Does any of you guys out there know how to remove the aerial base on a 2001 a3, I was told to remove the rear interior light and then there should be a nut to release the base, but where the nut should be, there is a small rectangular box of electronics? this box won't prise off and the base seems not to twist either. Any way will be greatly appreciated!
cheers
j.

I'm pretty sure the nut for the aerial base is on the outside of the roof. You unscrew the aerial and then lift up the base cap. You should then see the retaining nut.

There are two types of aerial bases, the 1st has the nut inside & the amplifer is built into the cone shape which sits on the roof. the 2nd has the nut outside & the amplifer shaped as a metal box sits inside. Check out what you have.

Matt

Reactions: Dani_B19
mattyboy199 said:
There are two types of aerial bases, the 1st has the nut inside & the amplifer is built into the cone shape which sits on the roof. the 2nd has the nut outside & the amplifer shaped as a metal box sits inside. Check out what you have.

Matt

I've got the 2nd type of base, does this mean i have to prise off the base somehow?

cheers

j.

When i bought the replacement which is the 2nd type, i found that a rubber cap is used as the cone which just sits over the bolt that holds the unit in place. Remove your bee sting aerial (that screws into the base) you should find the rubber cap easily comes lose to reveal the bolt. Pretty straight forward yours could be glued on if its factory but use some brut force !

mattyboy199 said:
When i bought the replacement which is the 2nd type, i found that a rubber cap is used as the cone which just sits over the bolt that holds the unit in place. Remove your bee sting aerial (that screws into the base) you should find the rubber cap easily comes lose to reveal the bolt. Pretty straight forward yours could be glued on if its factory but use some brut force !

Mate, nice one for the info! just tried it and off came the base! replacing it with the audi shark fin, so hopefully I'll stick up a pic to show the result.

Again, many thanks guys for all your help!

will the shark fin even pick up decent radio reception ? no offence i would stick with standard but thats me.