JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance
    Swaying towards IHI....

Status

Remapping my 1.8 T some Advice please..

Hi guys i know this has been asked Millions of times before!

I just wanted a bit of advice before i go ahead, I have the 150 version 1.8T in my A3, I have a Full Miltek system with a custom back-box and sports cat. And also a BMC CDA with cold air feed attached. I was hoping to get as near to the 200 mark as i possibly can.

My question is do i go to APS which is about 50 miles from me (I'm from surrey) Or is it worth me travelling the country ie Awesome GTI etc to get a better map?

Im happy to spend 400-500 on the remap just hopefully wanted it close to 200 BHP. I always go to APS for everything else ive had and they mentioned they need Re-Maps any-one else had their car mapped there before??

Oh and 1 more thing, my mate has a Golf MK4 GT TDI and he just had that mapped, would my car stand a chance against that mapped?

Cheers!

Jason
    A3 1.8TS
    K03S,Pro Alloy FMIC, Neuspeed TIP, Forge 007P,Jabba Stage 2, BMC CDA, Turbo Back Miltek,H&R Cup Kit,H&R Arb's,18" Cup 3's Wrapped in Parada Spec 2's, Facelifted, 10k Hids, Dewipered, Debadged,S3 Interior, S3 Rear bumper, S4 Front bumper, Brembo's, Momo Team, LCR Splitter.

2. # ADS
    ADS

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    Sadly Jason, trying to reach 200bhp with a ko3 turbo, is a little like trying to reach a top shelf magazine when you’re only 5ft 2….. its just not going to happen.

There’s every chance you will get VERY close, but I highly doubt on an accurate roller, you would get 200bhp. The ko3 runs out of steam at 190bhp and even that’s thrashing it. Some people see 190, and some even 195, but the majority of people with a mapped ko3 will see 185bhp (although telling them this usually upsets them, because most tuners claim 200bhp from a ko3 map.)

My AGU was Revo’d at JKM in Portsmouth, and made 184bhp and 236lb ft, and to be honest, I was a little disappointed. Yet the guys at jkm told me it was one of the strongest AGU engines they had mapped! He said the highest bhp they had recorded from a stage 1 AGU was 187bhp.

You COULD get a custom remap from custom code, which may well be able to take you VERY close to 200bhp, and with the turbo back, it MAY even be possible. But is there really any point in spending money on a custom map for a ko3?

Here’s an idea…..

If you picked up a ko3S turbo, for around £150, and bolted that on, THEN had a custom map, you would be looking at a possible 230bhp. You’ve already got the down pipe, which replaces the most restrictive part of the system, so by just bolting on a ko3S before having it mapped, and no other changes, a custom map could see you to 230bhp!

Seems like a no brainer to me. You’ve spent the big money on a full turbo back exhaust. Upgrade to a ko3S turbo, and go get a custom code map from Storm Developments in Aldermaston.

Are APS even able to do a custom map on your AGU? The only places I know of currently offering custom maps for cable throttle cars are Custom code dealers, and Jabba (I could be wrong on that-although I wouldn’t even go anywhere but custom code anyway!)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

***** rent boy

Status
    I'd have to echo the sentiments of Prawn here, the K03 turbo struggles to make any decent sort of power, but the K03s - which has different internals - is capable of anywhere between 210-230bhp depending on where you get it RR'd. Some AUM Golf's claim to have over 230bhp with just a remap, but again you have to take the results with a pinch of salt.

Swaying towards IHI....

Status
    Ok thanks for the advice guys, How much would all that set me back though if i went the K03S route? Thing is i need my car daily for work and i have just started at a new place this week so cant afford to take time off.

K03S does sound very attractive though, i dont have access to tools or nothing at the moment so a garage would have to do all the work.

Descions Descions!!!

Jason

Is the K03S on the AGU alot different to drive??
    A3 1.8TS
    K03S,Pro Alloy FMIC, Neuspeed TIP, Forge 007P,Jabba Stage 2, BMC CDA, Turbo Back Miltek,H&R Cup Kit,H&R Arb's,18" Cup 3's Wrapped in Parada Spec 2's, Facelifted, 10k Hids, Dewipered, Debadged,S3 Interior, S3 Rear bumper, S4 Front bumper, Brembo's, Momo Team, LCR Splitter.

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    jason

you already have the full turbo back exhaust, and a decent induction kit. so a ko3S will bolt straight onto your engine with no other changes (if you use a standard ko3S TIP-ive got one if you need one)

if you have your car mapped now, even a custom map, you will probably see 190-195bhp at MOST.

if you spend 150 on a ko3S, and bolt that on before having it mapped, you could see up to 230bhp, although 220 would happen easily.

im running a ko3S on my agu now, and its like a different car to drive, and its not even mapped yet.

its smoother, and MUCH faster, even on the old map. the turbo spools much faster, and sounds much better. theres a LOT more throttle response, with bags of mid range torque.

Ive not yet floored it properly in mine, but running on less than half throttle its noticably faster than the ko3 was flat out.

all in all, seeing as you have spent the money on the other bits, it'd be such a shame to 'waste' 500 on a map for the ko3, when a ko3S will make it SO much faster
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hey Jason,
    Sorry this is irrelevant to the topic but it looks like you've got aftermarket black headlights on you a3! I have the same car, same colour and have been looking at doing the same for a while..would you be able to post pics of the headlight or email them to me? It would be very much appreciated..cheers! steve

Swaying towards IHI....

Status
    I have black angel eyes on the front and facelift lights on the rear mate,the best aftermarket headlights are either the FK Black angels or the S3 facelift headlights.

And Prawn you've gone and done it now havnt you! there was me thinking i'll just get a simple map at the end of the month now you've convinced me to upgrade the turbo! thats forum's for you hey! hehe.

My question is, if i bought the K03S and took it somewhere that does custom maps would they be able to do it for me in a day? i didnt want the hassle of sending off my ECU and not having my car for a while etc.

A guy just emailed me too Chip and spin? He says hes a custom code dealer and can do a custom map to my equirements for 270 quid? And he'd drive out to me? Whats the catch there?

Also i guess the best place to get a K03S is ebay i guess??

Jason
    A3 1.8TS

Top Gear
    Cell-Out Champion

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn

im running a ko3S on my agu now, and its like a different car to drive, and its not even mapped yet.

its smoother, and MUCH faster, even on the old map. the turbo spools much faster, and sounds much better. theres a LOT more throttle response, with bags of mid range torque.

Ive not yet floored it properly in mine, but running on less than half throttle its noticably faster than the ko3 was flat out.

all in all, seeing as you have spent the money on the other bits, it'd be such a shame to 'waste' 500 on a map for the ko3, when a ko3S will make it SO much faster
    do you reckon it's faster or is it the response that makes it feel faster? mine wasn't faster when I upgraded to the K03s on my agu...but YES a lot more different when I had it remapped...you can actually feel and hear the turbo after about 2.5 rpm and again midrange...

A3_Turbo, ebay is the best bet to get the K03s but you can also google it...I did that and got a full recon'd one for 200.

Try on Seat or VW forums too....

Good luck and for more bhp after the upgrade

Swaying towards IHI....

Status
    Heres the pic Prawn you were after....

A3 1.8TS

Swaying towards IHI....

Status

Thats what it looks like with 55mm on the front nick.

Jason
    A3 1.8TS

Neutral

Status
    I've been thinking on the last days.

I guess that the best is to swap my K03 by the K03s.

Now, can I buy the K03S and insert it on my stock A3 1.8T without
    any modifications ?

Latter I will upgrade the exhaust and other parts needed, but is this
    direct bol on ?

If not what are the minimum parts that I have to buy to perform the
    replacement of the turbos ?

The custom map and other parts will come later.

Thanks

Neutral

Status
    Hi Prawn
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn
    jason
    (if you use a standard ko3S TIP-ive got one if you need one)
    Do you have the part number for this TIP ?