Would I swap my S3 for new A3 3.2Q DSG?

audidude

Reaction score
No Way Jose!!

Drove one today and VERY disappointed.
1-interior no better except newer

2-steering ***** - like NO feel and turn wheel and there's a curious "ah - turning - ah - oh yeah! better get into it" feeling - wow - you feel like you are a degree of seperation away from the front wheels. Nice and light for parking though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

3-stunningly smooth DSG - very clever bit of kit that, but also distances you from the driving experience - give me a six speed manual with clutch any day - hey my S3's got one of those! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4-my chipped S3's quicker and it FEELS it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

5-the ride was aweful - jiggly and nervous around town although better at speed.

6-much improved refinement (=less involvement too though)

Roll on the RS3 6sp manual is all I can say at present.

Cheers

It's not an S3 replacement so it is hardly a shock that the S3 is more involving.

But it should be FAR more involving than it is given that it's design is 7 years younger and given Audi's move to become the more sporting arm of VAG.

And that particular model is definitely pitched performancewise into hot hatch territory.

Cheers

I agree it could be better, the suspension is an odd hybrid that is neither sporty nor comfortable. I like the steering although it is not quite as informative as it could be.

Keep the S3...

If you want the A4 3.2, get the engine and gearbox remapped - that'll improve it, but it still doesn't have the urgency of a turbocharger!

Best,

Ram

ive ordered the new 3.2

and hope to keep it for a while as all my other cars have had for a year or less.

but plan hopefully depending on if its avalible later on in years..

to either drop a bigger engine in or add a turbo conversion to it.