Brake Fluid

AL_B

Reaction score
Few questions:

Anyone got any recommedations?

Dot 4 or Dot 5.1?

How many litres are required for the brake fluid change on an S3?

Cheers

AL

Ive got castrol synthetic DOT 5 brake fluid in mine and ive only ever experienced brake fade once and that was coz i think they were really wet. 2.5 litres ?? no way mate.. u will need 2 litres to flush and fill the old fluid with the new one.it can be done urself if u know whaat ur doing but getting to the the reervoir cap is a proper BITCH!! The only thing i regret not doing whilst i had drained the old fluid was to fit braided hoses all round. Oh well may be next time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Mark_R,

Thanks for that link. If that bloke is correct, looks like I'll stick with DOT 4.

Been looking in Demon Tweeks catalogue...

Castrol Response High Performance Synthetic Brake Fluid. Dot 4. ...£9.52 / ltr

Castrol SRF Racing Brake Fluid. Dot 4, wet boiling point of over 500degF...£45.04 / ltr (!!!)

If anyone remembers Andiroo (RS460), he recommeded the SRF stuff, but its a bit pricey.

AL

Hmmm theres a lot of stuff in there i dont agree with. He's talking to the 'extreme' !! Well if hes that correct in his verbal spillage then i ought to ask him why my DOT5 hasnt boiled when ive been stamping on the brakes or why my seals havent disintegrated. oh why my cylinder isnt a pile of rust ?? HA yeah right !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I think your right there MO. I guess I just don't use the brakes hard enough to justify anything beyond a good DOT 4. Maybe just a lot of scare mongering for some reason /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Comon Mark, think about it .... boiling brakes ?? disintigrating seals ?? paaa !!
Do u think driving with ur left left on the brake pedal constantly may prove his point ??