Foglight upgrade - electrics question

Clach

A3 - 1.8Ts
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have decide to put the color coding project on hold until next summer and move ahead with replaing/upgrading the lower front grille with this:

http://www.vagparts.com/pages/A3lights.htm

The question is that I already have foglights (built into the headlights), and was wondering if I could connect the current foglight light wiring to the vagparts foglights. Basically, so I do not have to get an additional and crappy looking switch on the dash???

Cheers

Clach

If I understand you correctly you already have fog lights built into the headlights and want the additional fog lights in the lower grille. I'm thinking you want the extra fog lights to illuminate when you switch the existing fog lights on.

If this is the case then I would use a accessory relay to provide power to the new lower lights. Simply use the positive feed to the existing fogs to provide a signal feed to the relay. Using this approach will also result in all the new wiring being within the engine bay and no additional switch will be required.

I definitely wouldn't recommend connecting the new lights directly to the existing circuit as this would overload this wiring.

Cheers marms,

The answer I was looking for!?

Clach

wow i really want to get those! what does that cost in us dollars if anyone can convert it for me?

its roughly 2 dollars to the pound at the moment, plus VAT which is 17.5%. PLus delivery of course.

yeah you are looking at about $500 (all in) mate...sorry!

Hi Folks...Just a quick update on this item.

I received the fog light kit two days ago, but so far I am unable to find a garage that will fit them for me....anyone help? I am in the berks slough/windsor/maidenhead area. In oxford on saturdays????

Ta

Anyone? Thus far I have been quoted '3' Hours labour to complete this project!!!?:faint:

Do it yourself. It's not that difficult. There is certainly no way I would pay someone 3 hours labour to wire a relay to a pair of foglights.
Drop me a PM if you need help with the wiring.

Cheers mate...! Will do if I need the help...

Finally....got these fitted, nice mod.

That will do me for a while.... (i think!)