Replacing the rubber grommit around the roof aeriel?

jediknight

Reaction score
Website
www.nathanwillits.com
Finally got round to detailing my own car today... upon closer inspection of the roof the rubber around where the aeriel base sits on the roof is really perrishing (rubber on the aeriel is split aswell)

anyone know if its easy to replace without stripping the interior headlining out??

and can i just buy the rubber grommit?

thanks

i done mine a while ago, same problem.....
all you need to remove is the rear courtesy light, once thats dropped you should be able to see the nut holding the ariel base in place, carefull not to loose the wire when disconnecting it could disappear behind headlining.....(i put a tie wrap on mine just incase i lost the end)....... hope this helps
im sure someone will give a fuller explantion later

I also need to cvhange mine soon as its has a split in the grommet. I ordered a new complete base through vagparts today as apparently Audi have redesigned the base to improve it's design (read this: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=19565&highlight=ariel).

Might not be true but for £36 it includes a new grommet anyway (allegedly), so I will be replacing the whole thing.

Hope this helps,

ICE

jpda3 said:
i done mine a while ago, same problem.....
all you need to remove is the rear courtesy light, once thats dropped you should be able to see the nut holding the ariel base in place, carefull not to loose the wire when disconnecting it could disappear behind headlining.....(i put a tie wrap on mine just incase i lost the end)....... hope this helps
im sure someone will give a fuller explantion later

How do you safely go about removing the courtesy light?

Thanks,

ICE

so to hijack but jedi how did you manage to write off your blue s3 looks totalled

that was a long time ago... american guy pulled out without looking. i hit him at 60-70mph span into opposite lane into a van and hit back across into my lane

fudgin hell,looks well bad,hope you wasnt hurt ****** yanks i bet he was in wrong lane.lol

jediknight said:
that was a long time ago... american guy pulled out without looking. i hit him at 60-70mph span into opposite lane into a van and hit back across into my lane

Brings back bad memories huh?

regarding the light, you just pull it out, it has clips along the edges.

I need to replace my ariel soon... I would like a small shark fin type.. can these be fitted???

i did mine a while back - its fiddly and a few skinned knuckles

the hardest part was undoing the aerial connector to get the ****** thing of
sat in boot with my head torch on

Could some kind person please list all required tools and sizes to change the base/grommit please?

I want to make sure I have everything in place before starting the job.

Thanks in advance,

ICE

Has anyone managed to do this or have the part number for the full aerial kit?

Pat said:
I need to replace my ariel soon... I would like a small shark fin type.. can these be fitted???

I've just fitted one of those, from the newer audis. It fits fine but it's not connected, but still using the old whip aerial which is tucked in the roof lining behind the rear courtesy light.

I'd show you a pic but the posting rules say I can't post attachments...

I think the aerial cost about £25 from the dealers.

jesters3 said:

I have "a" part number for a full ariel kit, but I'm not 100% sure it is the right part (yet).

I had a look at the base of my current ariel through the roof lining and it seem to look different, but then I read somewhere that Audi had redesigned the base, so maybe I'm worrying over nothing.

I'll try and post the part number of what vagparts sent me tonight.

Has anyone got a diagram for the assembly of the ariel and it's installation?

Cheers,

ICE

vanilla_ice said:
I had a look at the base of my current ariel through the roof lining and it seem to look different, but then I read somewhere that Audi had redesigned the base,

ICE

Mate, If yours is like mine - 2001 on, then the nut is on the outside. unscrew the whippy bit, then prise the black cone shaped base cover off, obviously take care of the paintwork, the base cover is 2-3 mm thick and is just clipped on.

When you undo the nut, the base, should fall through the whole in the roof.

Hope this helps!

cheers

j.

dot32 said:
p.s does anyone know how I can upload pics?

taa

Upload pics to a photobucket account and then copy and paste the url for it
but make sure you put these symbles before
the address

info is in the bottom let of the pages under posting rules

and just make sure you preview page first to make sure pic shows properly

hope this helps :thumbsup:

or anyone correct me or explain it easier pls

It is obvioulsy badly designed if all these Audi ariels are packing in after just 5/6 years!

Does the Audi replacment pack include the "Whippy bit"? The whole ariel including the base and the seal is cracking on mine so i am as well to replace the lot at once.

Also, i thought the S3 ariel was at a different angle to the Golf ariel so it could be that the VAG part is slightly different.

Thanks

Iain

mine is fine, but why on earth did audi not realise the aerial hits the rear spoiler when the boot is fully open.....?! fools

Chaps,

I'm confused, the vag parts bit from the photo looks like it just hugs the rim of the aerial base like a big washer, the aerial base doesnt actaully sit on it like a mat is that correct? cant be esle surely we wouldnt need to remove the dam thing to fit it.

Cheers

Brian

jesters3 said:

4B9 051 505

This was for a non Sat Nav head unit. It is the ariel base complete with new ariel.

It has a female spade connector on a red and black wire (for power?) and a short (10cm) legth of ariel cable that I hope will connect on to the exisiting ariel cable.

Hope this helps!!

ICE

Me being a lazy ***** used the car wash and forgot to remove the aerial... which was then broke off so this is a job Im guna have to do very soon. Has anyone got any photos of the process?