How do I reset the service indicator?

danotto

VAG HUNTER
Reaction score
i know this has probably been posted loads of times but ive just serviced my car oils, filters, sparks and will soon do haldex oil and filter which was dearer than i expected to buy,parts were £30 for oil and filter.but anyways how do i reset the service schedule on my dash.or does it need to be reset buy VAG,
cheers guys

Reactions: Bonno
from jojo back in the day

Try this, press and hold the button on the right of your dashclocks. then turn your key into ignition(don't start the car) and 'OIL' should come up on the diplay, now release the button, and pull or rotate the left button to the right for 2 secs to reset the oil service interval. For inspection, do the same to get the 'oil' text on the display, and release the right button, now press it once again to switch to 'inspection' and reset using the left button with the same procedure.
Then ignition off, remove key and all should be done.

resetting the service interval timer depends on whether you're on fixed interval, or variable interval service schedules.

Apparently, if you reset the service interval of a AVS scheduled car using the dash reset, it'll go back to fixed interval sevicing.

i tried as above and it didnt work,as i couldnt get the oil light up the on-board computer just says service in 800miles,will i need to go to VAG to reset this

rickparmar said:
from jojo back in the day

Try this, press and hold the button on the right of your dashclocks. then turn your key into ignition(don't start the car) and 'OIL' should come up on the diplay, now release the button, and pull or rotate the left button to the right for 2 secs to reset the oil service interval. For inspection, do the same to get the 'oil' text on the display, and release the right button, now press it once again to switch to 'inspection' and reset using the left button with the same procedure.
Then ignition off, remove key and all should be done.

Hi mate, so are there 2 service interval indicators then because I only thought there was one.

I've just managed to reset mine from 1500 miles back up to 9300. I think I managed it by holding the right button down, then switching on the ignition then either tapped the left one a few times or held it down. Turning left or pulling the left button out didn't work for me. (sorry to drag an old post up from the dead)

If you have VAG.COM:
Audi Service Interval Reminders
Updated 06 Sep. 2007
Ross-Tech is not responsible for any damage or problems that may result from following these instructions. They are to be used at your own risk.
Audi has included a Service Interval Reminder that includes oil mileage interval, the service mileage interval, and the service time interval. To reset the Service Reminders using VAG-COM:
Using the current version of VAG-COM, simply go into Applications then click on SRI Reset. VAG-COM will automatically interrogate the cluster to determine what if any reset parameters are available. Click this link for more information.
If you are using an older version of VAG-COM then you should follow these instructions:
1998 and Newer:
[Select]
[17 - Instruments]

[Adaptation - 10]
Enter channel 02
[Read]
The "Stored Value" is the current value for that channel.
Enter the "New" value of 0 (zero)
[Test]
[Save]

Note: It is normal for the display to show something like "--/--" instead of an actual distance/time to service after resetting until you have driven some distance.
Pre-1998 models ... or if Channel 02 is not available:
[Select]
[17 - Instruments]

[Adaptation - 10]
Enter the correct channel from the list below in "Channel Number"
[Read]
The "Stored Value" is the current value for that channel.
Enter the "New" value of from the list below.
[Test]
[Save]

Channel 05 should be the distance until the next Oil Service.
It is in thousands of kilometers. Let's say you want the Oil
Service light to come on in 5000 miles. That would be 8000 km.
Put the value 8 into channel 05. The "standard value" used by the US
dealers would be 12 (7500 miles).

Channel 06 should be the distance until the next In-1 Service.
Same units as above. Standard value would be 24 (15,000 miles).

Channel 07 should be the time until the next In-1. In-1 lights
up based on time or distance, whichever comes first. This is in
10's of days. Standard value would be 36 for 360 days.

Channel 08 would be time until the next In-2. In-2 is based
strictly on time. Standard value is 72 for 720 days (about

Just add my 2p...

The following 3 images are straight from ElsaWin, which is what the stealerships use themselves. If you read through the images, the upshot is that if your car is on LongLife servicing regime (30000km max mileage, max 2 years interval), then as of MY00 (Sept 99ish) then if you want to keep it on Longlife, you must use a VAS 1551 / VAG COM to reset it.

If you use the dash itself...then your car will go to fixed interval servicing irrespetive of its current setting. I think all official imported UK A3/S3 cars from MY00 were set to LongLife servicing regime, unless the original buyer explicitly requested otherwise at the original PDI.

You can tell if your car was orginally shipped in LongLife regime as such by looking at the service sticker in your sparewheel well or the service book. if on the sticker is says PR code QG1 then it was Longlife enabled at birth.

HTH

longlifekr5.jpg

resetingusingthedashrr7.jpg

serviceresetmy00onwardsoj5.jpg

Bump :

The service in 1000 miles thing has appeared on my dash i read the manual but when i hold in the righthand button when i turn on the ignition "service" does not appear in the display it just goes to the normal DIS display.

What am i doing wrong??

My s3 is a pre-facelift

Come on peeps what am i doing wrong??

I tried this and couldnt get it to work either.

I cant get it to work either.Tryed all the above.
mines a preface 0n a 99 plate

Bump :

The service in 1000 miles thing has appeared on my dash i read the manual but when i hold in the righthand button when i turn on the ignition "service" does not appear in the display it just goes to the normal DIS display.

What am i doing wrong??

My s3 is a pre-facelift

so are you trying to reset it and have succeeded ???

off the top of my head isn`t it the reset button on the stalk you jold in while switching on the ignition ???? i`ll have to check

Its weird i am sure i have got it to work before when it came up when i first got the car. But this time no luck it just won't reset.

I am doing exactly what it says in the manual which is as follows.

With the ignition off you hold in the righthand button the one nearest the speedo and then switch on the ignition but don't start the car. at this point it should read "service" in the display (this is not happening for me) when this appears you can press the lefthand button nearest the rev counter to reset the indicator.

Fo some reason i just can't get it to say service i the display when holding in the righthand button. Mine is a prefacelift 2000 Xreg but am damn sure i have done it before thought which is why i'm a tad confused.

hi all i have just this minute tried this on my A3 1.8t on 2003 plate and it worked first time you have to push the right button turn the key and straight away press the left and hold for 2 sec and then on mine it read 9300 it was on 3280 so i can say it works thanks for that 1 mate :thumbsup:

Reactions: Zman6000
Ok i managed to sort this last night as i was leaving a friends house :

I thought i would try it again for the hell of it as the DIS was now saying 800 miles till service. Anyway the way i got it to work was with the ignition off i held down both buttons on the dash at the same time using one hand and whilst they were held down i turned on the ignition without starting the car. DIS came up straight away with next service in 9300 miles!!

sorted.

Cheers vrbob!

just done the same thing as you did and it worked.mines also says 9300

this worked on my s3 2000 reg

thanks

Ok i managed to sort this last night as i was leaving a friends house :

I thought i would try it again for the hell of it as the DIS was now saying 800 miles till service. Anyway the way i got it to work was with the ignition off i held down both buttons on the dash at the same time using one hand and whilst they were held down i turned on the ignition without starting the car. DIS came up straight away with next service in 9300 miles!!

sorted.

So if I service my car myself, it's easy enough to reset then once done my friend used to work for ats so he would service it for me.

Get all your cars off longlife servicing, have you seen the state of "longlife" oil when it finally gets changed?

I've just managed to reset mine from 1500 miles back up to 9300. I think I managed it by holding the right button down, then switching on the ignition then either tapped the left one a few times or held it down. Turning left or pulling the left button out didn't work for me. (sorry to drag an old post up from the dead)
ive just done mine and I held the right one down and then turned the ignition on an tapped the left button thanks for this lads

I know it's an old post but it's all about timing push the right button first flick ignition on then immediately release button and immediately press the left button hey presto reset

resetting back to 9300 miles....blimey, by my estimation if I did that I do not need a service for another 10 years minimum !

:)
last time I reset it, I think it was via vagcom - it was intelligent to remind me based on time & driving and not fixed on mileage.

another S3 90% on axle stands ? :D
It certainly would be better for the car to be on stands, but I'm afraid it's more of a weekend car and mileage is based on shopping and family visit trips - both of which are not far plus the odd occasional long (by my standards) distance trip during summer i.e Brighton! that equates to around 700 miles a year. plus we have another small runaround car - which also about 1K a year !

......I wonder if it's probably going to be cheaper paying for a cab everywhere - but then again where's the fun in that!