Problem changing into 3rd and 5th!!!!!

dot32

Reaction score
Hi people, I've just started having this problem, when I try to change up to 3rd, feels like something is blocking the gate, and I have to slam it in to engage, also happens in fifth. Could this be something to do with the syncromesh?

Need to get this sorted as my girlfriend drives the car, she's a learner and her gearchanges aren't the best when the box was fine!!

cheers all.

Is this problem only there when the engine is on, or the same with it off? Can you select 3rd and 5th smoothly with engine off basically?, could be the clutch if you can.

dot32 said:
Thanks for the reply, and no still sticky when the engine is off..!?

Sticll sticky with engine off suggests gearbox problems then, probably best to source a 2nd hand unit off ebay or a scrapyard as a quick fix, reconditioning costs a bit more, but you will most likely get a warranty with it... all depends on your budget, I would personally change the clutch also whilst it's off.

the box is a cable-change, so you dont want to be forcing it in or you'll be stretching the cable. Have a go at adjusting the linkage first.

I had exactly the same problem mainly with 3rd gear, it was the syncro-mesh as you said cost me £670 :(

Thanks for all your replys! If it is the linkage, would this be under warranty? Not audi but independent garage warranty. Cheers.

S3MHT said:
I had exactly the same problem mainly with 3rd gear, it was the syncro-mesh as you said cost me ?670 :(
Don't tell me that! Can't afford it as getting married next month!

The same happened to me.
Now I'm facing a £1250 fix 'ere in Norway..
Included is the change of clutch + gearbox + MOT test.

And, when's the big date?

IngenLimits said:
The same happened to me.
Now I'm facing a £1250 fix 'ere in Norway..
Included is the change of clutch + gearbox + MOT test.

And, when's the big date?

£1250!!!!!!!! Can't they just replace the linkage or synchromesh?

I bought my a3 tsport two months ago from an independent garage less than two months ago and since then I've had:

1. drivers windows clip break (I replaced it myself following excellent guides and advice from you guys)
2. Battery dies if I have the radio on / engine off for more than 5 mins
3. rear seat back stuck and won't release.
4. gearbox selection prob (as mentioned)
5. MAF prob (tried cleaning it, but engine still very hesitant and stalls all the time when trying to idle - have unplugged it so that I can drive it!)
6. Rear windscreen washer doesn't work
7. Rear sub and speakers don't work - can't check the sub/amp wiring as the rear seat won't come down...!!!!!!)

Hopefully some of the probs will be sorted by the garage as it's still under they're warranty, will find out by the weekend when I take the car in to them. These probs are really starting to do my head in, as I sold my A4 97' due to spending up to £3k on repairs on it!! hoped the a3 would be more reliable as it's FASH with 65k miles... Love the handling and power though!

Oh yaeh, the big day is Nov 24, having a small one over in Mauritius, so that I don't have to invite tons of family/parents friends that I don't even know!!!!

cheers.

j.

dot32 said:
Oh yaeh, the big day is Nov 24, having a small one over in Mauritius, so that I don't have to invite tons of family/parents friends that I don't even know!!!!

j.
where in Mauritius?

I might come around...:p

also, which hotel are you staying?

PS I'm Mauritian :icon_thumright:

abdus said:
where in Mauritius?

I might come around...:p

also, which hotel are you staying?

PS I'm Mauritian :icon_thumright:

Mate, we'll be staying 1st week/wedding in legends, than honeymoon for a week in bou rivage? (the missus knows the details... ). We're not from there, but the island looked pukka to me, so that's why we decided to go there!

Your welcome to come down if you wanna buy us a pint! (heard it's quite expensive!)

p.s Glad to speak to another LFC supporter! (not many in surrey - just Chelsea bods!!!)

dot32 said:
Mate, we'll be staying 1st week/wedding in legends, than honeymoon for a week in bou rivage? (the missus knows the details... ). We're not from there, but the island looked pukka to me, so that's why we decided to go there!

Your welcome to come down if you wanna buy us a pint! (heard it's quite expensive!)

p.s Glad to speak to another LFC supporter! (not many in surrey - just Chelsea bods!!!)
North East then...(for Legends)...very nice place, very quiet. 5 star hotel and you will really enjoy it. But just be careful when you go to Grand Baie (mainly nightlife)..a lot of theft on tourist in early mornings ;) (after discotheques etc...)

Beau Rivage hotel is in the top 5 of the island...much much better than Legends...look out for the beach sand and lagoon (sky blue)..One of the best hotels in the Indian Ocean

Drinks can be quite expensive in hotels...

Don't worry though, you will enjoy all of it..summer just starting in November (not too hot) but sun still bright...

Enjoy and don't forget the SEGA

and YES: going to Anfield in Nov (fulham against LFC), will be in away fans section, but not a problem.:hubbahubba::rockwoot::jump:

back on topic now...:rulez:

PS congrats and good luck for the big day

:applaus:

As far as I'm aware if you bought it from an independant garage you get 6 months engine and gearbox warranty, take it back and get it sorted :icon_thumright:

Mine came with both because I made the guy sort out some problems before my MOT.

Thanks for the info both abdus & TheSpaceCowboy! hopefully I'll have the car sorted by the garage this weekend and will live happily ever after... & Liverpool will take the premiership!!!!

Cheers fellas

j.