Mysterious Warning Light

Kef9

Reaction score
Okay guys this happened to me twice today on the way to work and then on the way home.

I was happily driving to work when a yellow warning light came up on the DIS. I thought what the hell is this (ive had the car for 10 months and nothing has gone wrong), oh no! Anyway the light was a circle with nothing in it with the half circles on the outside. i.e. ( () )

Anyway I was on the motorway in a straight line so I basically turned the engine off and then back on again to see if it would still come up. The warning had gone.

Coming home from work the same happened again and I turned my engine off and on again. Anyway I got home and this symbol isnt in the audi book!!! At first I thought it was ABS or something but that has a different warning symbol. I did a few cycle checks (holding the service indicator button down) at work and also when I got home and it finds nothing and just showns the OK sign?

Does anyone know what the hell this symbol is?

PLEASE HELP! :readit:

Kef9 I had this on mine and it was the brake pad sensor wire that was cut somehow, took it to my local garage and the just taped it back up and its been fine since! This maybe the same for you but youd prob better get it checked..

Brake pad warning me thinks. You might find they start to come on permanently soon.

Anyway I was on the motorway in a straight line so I basically turned the engine off and then back on again to see if it would still come up.

icon_eek.gif

I had the very same thing a while back and it turned out to be the brake bulb, not the sensors... get someone to check it for you!

haha, i turned the ignition off once when driving back home late and didnt want to wake anyone up. The steering lock activated, the brakes didn't work, and i put the car in my own hedge. The idea of not wanting to wake anyone up kinda backfired!!! aah, to be 17 again...

Hi guys

Well it didnt happen this morning anyway. ummmm. Ill see what happens. Whatever it is it doesnt seem like a serious fault.

Regarding turning the engine off. I was going in a straight line with no cars around me when i did it so the steering wheel wouldnt lock and it was safe!

I did it once when trying to turn and nearly crashed like madvw! It was a close one!

You're brake pads are wearing down and this is the low pad warning light so you need to get them changed.
As to driving with the engine off, with the key in the steering lock won't activate so no problem, i've done it a few times when my temperature gauge was playing up just don't rely on stopping to quickly

Light hasnt come on again but I had a look and my front brake pads have loads on them but the rears look like they havent got long left.

Wonder how much this will cost me?

madvw said:
haha, i turned the ignition off once when driving back home late and didnt want to wake anyone up. The steering lock activated, the brakes didn't work, and i put the car in my own hedge. The idea of not wanting to wake anyone up kinda backfired!!! aah, to be 17 again...

Ha ha ha funny stuff! :)

Hi guys, the light still hasnt come on again. As the rear break pads wear further down does it start coming on more and more?

Anyway where is the best place to get new rear pads put on?

Local Garage
Kwik Fit
Audi Dealer

Do I need to get special pads or are they just standard?

Best place to get new rear pads put on

your front drive / garage

it'll take you about half an hour and cost buttons

Do you not need a windback for this? I got stuck doing the missuses golf one sunday, got the pads out and couldnt push the pistons back, then couldnt get the old pads bak in to take it to the garage. Ended up having to use a set of mole grips and a metal bar to push and wind.

Not trying to put you off otr anything like. :thumbsup:

Yeah sorry you'll need either grips and patience or a winder which only costs about £10 anyways lol.

Okay guys, ive done a bit of research.

The rear pads dont have a low warning indicator. Only the front ones do. It seems as though the warning light I had come on was maybe to do with brake fluid level although it hasnt come back sinse. Anyway Ive decided to get some Ferodo rear pads put on at my local garage and also a brake fluid change. Total cost £80.

My back pads look quite low anyway so getting some new ones will give me piece of mind that they wont go too low in the future as there is no warning indication.

HAHAHAHA. The days that were...

You're brake pads are wearing down and this is the low pad warning light so you need to get them changed.
As to driving with the engine off, with the key in the steering lock won't activate so no problem, i've done it a few times when my temperature gauge was playing up just don't rely on stopping to quickly

The sensor lights activate when the pad is close to the spinning face of the main brake disc. It is best to have them replaced.

I think he may have sorted this now seeing as it was in 2007 lol :laugh:

I think he may have sorted this now seeing as it was in 2007 lol :laugh:

HAHAHA. Wait I have a loophole. This could have happened to anyone who thinks they are all that and didn't bother to read everything. Ahh, acting like a 17-yr-old kid...

i might be a bit crude but does this from his first post look like something else? lol

( () )