Obsessed by your car?

Clach

A3 - 1.8Ts
Reaction score
Serious thought time...

Every day (or near enough) I log onto the website to get my daily dose on Audi-sport, but I cannot help but think I am getting a wee tad obsessed with my very well cleaned A3!!

Now don't get me wrong here, the website is magic and extremely helpful, but some of the upgrades, changes and suggestions on upgrades once a part goes wrong could drive a man/woman to financial ruin..!! lol...

For me personally i have spent nearly a grand obsessing about this part and that in 3 months....(the latest being a rear light upgrade) yet..i suspect some, probably, younger members out there have spent far more in a shorter space of time. In fact, it is a bit of a two way street really, you either obssess when you here a noise, or you obssess about upgrading a part when you don't..lol

I suppose what I am saying is have fun, but on a serious note, be careful, as I ran into to some serious credit card trouble doing up a 944S about 10 years back!!!

Thought for the day over...

Clach :icon_thumright:

Thanks for reading, and I Just thought it may be worth mentioning

I third it, Glad to hear there are other people with the same Audi obsession as me:meeting:

I just spent £90 on wipers, I think i'm also an idiot

jonS3 said:
I just spent £90 on wipers, I think i'm also an idiot

But it feels good, haven't we all spent £90 on wipers! I know I have.. :)

Clach credit cards suck, I am being a good boy and paying mine off, ****** hard work! :happy:

you see, now I am interested, what wipers are they...lol

NO SERIOUSLY, WHAT WIPERS ARE THEY!!! :whip:

Hi group, I too am an obsessive. I spent 3 hours today changing spark plugs to NGK R (which are available from Bennets motor factors in Hertfordshire, top place) and still I love it, I have a problem.

*Cries*
Thanks for the support.

i've got a set of NGK R's in front of me on my desk, they've been there a little while now, I feel better....

TheSpaceCowboy said:
I spent 3 hours today changing spark plugs to NGK R

WOW thats a lot of tea breaks. :)
We have all got to have at least one obsession. Mine is cars too, its a mugs game but ya gotta love it. lol.

I think I'm in the same category, had an ECS stage 1 rear kit in the garage for almost 2 years!, fitted it 2 weeks ago, and also have a FMIC, set of Samco I/C hoses and an APR TIP all sitting in my kitchen waiting to be fitted, but can't find the time....

I spend £40 on a set of Denso tough spark plugs. Again, my 'untuned' car would probably be just as good with the Bosch £2 jobs, but, oh no, I had to get the best ones!!!:meeting:

Of course, someone will correct me and point out even better spark plugs, which will get me obsessed about those ones at the next 20K service....

Clach...""mine is more shiny than yours"" :icon_thumright:

I was gettin obsessed during the summer... but now due too the ****** weather its almost impossible to keep the car clean and who wants to be freezing their tits off washin their car in the winter... im guna start paying sum1 else to do it for me over the winter months.

it's true. You start on the lowly stuff like Meguairs to clean your car, then the next thing you know is that you've gone and bought those minor mods like TT pedals and bee sting aerial. Problem is now the words Samco and Remap have ticked the boxes soon to be followed by Black Diamond then Blistein/HR or KW/Weitec. Whats next!!!!

Jampublic said:
But it feels good, haven't we all spent £90 on wipers! I know I have.. :)

Clach credit cards suck, I am being a good boy and paying mine off, ****** hard work! :happy:
I still have the same wipers and blades as when I got the car nearly two years....does this make me un-obsessive?
(spent around 5k plus on the car,you wouldn't think it though)

Is it me? Or does anyone else find the sight of a properly used car more interesting than a shiney ornament?

I like to see front wheels black with brake dust, flies all over the front, chewed tyres free of silly tyre gel, exhaust tips resplendant in the grey-white coating of perfect combustion...and the tick, tick, tick of an uber hot engine cooling down...as the smell of brakes and clutch offends your nose.

To me, getting to that stage is a far better way of spending a day...

God I'm the same... I have recently got a 2001 A3 QT which I love, however I have been thinking about changing the naff alloys for some 18'' RS4 reps, oh and mabye and S3 spoiler, then perhaps the rear box and colour code all the lowers. While I'm at it I should consider a K&N filter along with a re-map...

..... And before you know it You have spend £1200+ which could have gone towards the next model up - in my case an S3! I'm mad for it, and love cars but at the minute trying to not do anything to my A3... Ooooooooooow it's hard though!

Not to mention the chances are it will de-value the car with all the mods!

Maybe just the RS4's, a rear S3 spoiler and colour code all my lowers... What do you all think?

you and me both...how much for the colour coding or rear spolier?

rather than cleaning my s3,as im lazy im deciding to see how dirty i can get it by driving down muddy country lanes etc,this is a far lengthier process than cleaning,and is more fun,pics to follow,lol.i wont be happy until there is no silver paint showing.:weight_lift2:

I'm only obsessive in that i wash mine twice a week, and polish the wheels in between. I only spend money where needed, on both my cars lol

I recently sold my S3 and kept all receipts for the extras and servicing I spent on it. Everything has to be just right with any car I own.......in a touch over 2 years I spent £4,900 !!
This did include a Revo, Clutch and Cambelt service though.

Add in the depreciation of around £4.5k and it does seem crazy, but hey, its my hobby, so why not enjoy it.

I also sometimes cleaned it 2-3 times a week, something I'll need to get used to I guess, especially now owning a black S4.

what ever you do don't admit your obsessions to the missus! and especially don't confess how much you spent on wipers when £20 halfords ones are good enough for her MG!!!!

Clach said:
I spend £40 on a set of Denso tough spark plugs. Again, my 'untuned' car would probably be just as good with the Bosch £2 jobs, but, oh no, I had to get the best ones!!!:meeting:

Of course, someone will correct me and point out even better spark plugs, which will get me obsessed about those ones at the next 20K service....

Clach...""mine is more shiny than yours"" :icon_thumright:

Ordered my Denso's yesterday! :)

Had to replace a coil pack yesterday, then cleaned my wheels & mirrors this morning! Forge DV should arrive tomorrow too, in anodised black!! Then I have a Coolant temperature sensor to replace tomorrow!

And now I thinking of replacing the glass fronts on the fog lights!

I am doomed! :faint:

sitrials said:
what ever you do don't admit your obsessions to the missus! and especially don't confess how much you spent on wipers when £20 halfords ones are good enough for her MG!!!!

Yeah lets keep that very quiet!!:eyebrows:

Absolutely right about the missus.

I am switching the pre-facelift rear lights for the post facelift ones this weekend. So, firstly I had to make sure to get home before her to pick up the package from Germany. Secondly, I had to come up with some **** and bull story about how you can rub the red off the back of the lights to make them silver, just in case she notices...

I feel like I am having an affair with Mrs Audi!!! :sex:

Clach

Clach said:
..I had to come up with some **** and bull story about how you can rub the red off the back of the lights to make them silver..

Good luck with that little white lie! :)

sitrials said:

Indeed. Got it in the neck this morning after my lovely 18m old daughter found my bill and credit card receipt from Storm after my visit yesterday and stuffed it in my missus' hand. Which then followed with the words 'What is a Custom Code Phase 1 and why did it cost so much?'

Look what just turned up!! :)

DSC00289.jpg

Fitting that a lunch time, I think! :)

Hehe, funny story... although not really! I had a set of draper sockets and the ball joint on the end kept releasing the socket where the ceramic plate is.... So it kept getting stuck :ermm:

Also someone like Ess_Three will probably correct/validate this but I heard iridium plugs arent as suitable for high boost environments because of the heat range?

s3chris said:
WOW thats a lot of tea breaks. :)
We have all got to have at least one obsession. Mine is cars too, its a mugs game but ya gotta love it. lol.

TheSpaceCowboy said:
Also someone like Ess_Three will probably correct/validate this but I heard iridium plugs arent as suitable for high boost environments because of the heat range?

It depends on which heat range you choose...

Personally, I'd not be fitting 'uprated' as in higher heat range plugs to a standard, or even re-mapped car, as you are likely to have them start fouling up if they don't run hot enough, and you'll lose power.

For the same reason, I'd not run standard plugs on an S3 running 1.8 bar of boost as you are likely to destroy the plugs with the heat, and do untold engine damage.

I think it was Denco IK22s I ran in my S3 when running very high boost...and they were one, maybe two, heat ranges higher. (IK20s look to be standard type fit)

i am ver obsessive with my car, when i clean it i even get cotton budds in the dash vents to clean out all the dust that builds up i even use them in my engine to hard to reach places and the grille. lol

thought i would share as i am really obseesed with my car. haha

ess would my denso ik22s be ok in my standard s3 im getting it remapped next month and have already fitted them and they seem fine

danotto said:
ess would my denso ik22s be ok in my standard s3 im getting it remapped next month and have already fitted them and they seem fine

Not the preferred plugs, but they should be fine. The standard NGKs are fine at silly power numbers so the IK22s will be similar.

cheers mate,dave bayern said they would be good in my car,they feel fine ill see how they go

danotto said:
cheers mate,dave bayern said they would be good in my car,they feel fine ill see how they go

Danotto are you heading over to Storm Developments for you remap? I believe your Reading based and Storm is a 20min drive from Reading!!