Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
    5th Gear

Status

Advice on A3 TSPORT any1????

Hello - can someone please help?

I've been looking in2 buying a new car (well newer car) for sometime, and want to make the right choice - I think the Audi A3 1.8 T Sport is defo the choice for me! I'm struggling to find one with low miles!!! They are all 80-90k on 4 year old models - does anyone know if it's worth considering such high milers on these young cars? I'd only consider it with FSH of course, but I don't want to be buying into the trouble stage (already been through that stage in my life), and does anyone know how much servicing costs and how often etc (roughly)?

I'm looking to spend around 8/9k - but don't want the market to drop out in the next 6 months, and the car be worth next to nothing as it's got high miles [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Also, what are the real mpg averages? My current little car (Fiesta - old fiesta, is getting around 28/30mpg) I don't particularly thrash around in cars either - if the Audi can equal this or better it comfortably then I will be a happy chappy. I know it does on paper - but someone out there must be able to give a realistic figure.

I've looked into repairs (well running costs) and I must say I was pretty impressed with tyre prices, exhausts look pricey - anyone know good dealers of the exhaust?

The car is to be a treat, as I've just got out of hospital with some scary kidney problems, I just want it to be safe, and reliable, with that Audi slickness - if ANYONE HAS ANY TIPS, ADVICE REGARDING ANYTHING WITH THE AUDI 1.8 T SPORT ETC ETC ETC I WILL BE MOST GRATEFUL FOR YOUR REPLY!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

many thanx!

2. # ADS
    ADS

A4 b6 1.8T Black

Status

Re: Advice on A3 TSPORT any1????

Welcome matey. I own a A3 1.8T Sport (standard) Which i Purchaced 6 months ago.
    For around 8-9K you should be able to get a 99 plate with reasonably low mileage (50-65k) and maybee a few factory options too.. FSH deffo.
    My annual service is coming up soon (60K) which is about 170 which is very good i thought. Cambelt service next year which will prob. be double that.
    As for MPG. You may be plesently suprised ! With average driving (only ocasonally tonking it) on A-B roads i get 27-30mpg. On motorways 75-90mph i get 32-35mpg. This can go all pear shaped (21-24mpg) if your boot is leaded tho.
    I found the car to be a bit lacking on oommpphh, this combined with reading the posts on this site makes me want to chip the car (from 150-195bhp) this, from what i hear is well worth the 400-500, but insurers will be rubbing their hands.(50% extra)
    Overall i am happy with my 18ts, a few small electrical probs. but nothing major. only thing i regret is not getting one with Factory option like A/C, Cruise/c. but i am going to retro fit the Cruise. soon.
    Good luck.

2nd Gear

Status

Having just this second finished buying an A3 T sport.. I'll offer my advice.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

We just bought an A3 1.8T sport on a P plate for around 8k. The reason it was a little on the expensive side was that its only done 32K miles. And your right I hunted high and low for a low miler but couldn't find one.

For your price bracket you'd be looking at a 97-99 (depending on miles and spec) from a main Audi dealer. and probably up to a 2000 on a private sale. We went with main dealer in the end.. I must admit the service was impeccable ( so far).

Nearly all the cars I saw had 60-80K miles on, I suspect that this kind of miles is fine for this type of car.. but like you I much preferred a low miler.

Cant really comment on the car at the moment as I've only driven it 10 miles.. but so far I love it ..

Nice extras to have imho are Climate control and leather.

5th Gear

Status

Right - thanx for the advice bud! That's sound info. I knew the petrol would be a concern with it having a turbo - but I suppose that's the whole thing with having a darn turbo! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] what do u mean by 'leaded' boost though? I was a little confused - forgive me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

How much petrol will that little chip scran in the future? heh heh! Good for you mate - go for it. I think I'll probably stick with mine being standard, as the insurance will be a killer for me.

What eleccy probs ya had? I also thought Air Con was standard? There's just so many combinations when buying these bloody cars - makes me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] heh not like my little pokey fiesta!

Thanx again matey!

5th Gear

Status

Yep - mileage is always a concern to me! It always niggles in the back of my mind, no matter how nice the car is. Although like you say these cars are probably built to take this type of motoring!

Well I hope your a3 is providing you with muchos fun! Let me know if you find anything amazing in the next few days or so, good or bad! Cheers for the help matey! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Neutral

Status

I bought my 1.8T Sport new 6 years ago and have since put 101,000 on it!

Had it chipped at 94,000 as well !!!

problems I have had:

Water pump went arround 70,000 (apparently quite common)

I changed my clutch arround 85 ish i think, but that coz i was getting ready for a chip

Front shocks started leaking arround 90,000 (good excuse to get some konis and H&R)

other than that it has been absolutley fine.

German engineering! Really Good!

Hope this helps

Neil

A4 b6 1.8T Black

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    what do u mean by 'leaded' boost though? I was a little confused - forgive me

[/ QUOTE ]
    (leaded boot matey, heavy foot) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Air con not standard, I wish it was.

The eleccy probs were :-
    the controller for mirrors broke 40 (audi)
    The washer pump broke 23 (audi)
    The relay for rear wiper motor broke 15 (audi)

Also i have had the waterpump done too which was a very fiddley job to do and prob. a lot of money for audi to do. 35 and 18 returned on exchange. (audi)

The shockers on mine are on their way but as A3 97-R said its a good excuse to change them for koni's [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Clutch on way too !!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Neutral

Status

Bought an 1.8T about a month ago its a '99 with only 34k miles for 9600 (air con included)
    and like everyone else i hunted hi and low, i am more than happy with it.

Am planning on a few mod though...
    Forge 006 (arrived and awaiting fitting)
    CAI (Quickshift)(Ordered and awaiting delivery)
    AMD Remap
    Suspension (springs&dampers vs coilovers not sure yet?)

But as with everything, its subject to change.

2nd Gear

Status

I bought a '99 1.8T Sport (leather, 6CD, climate-control, armrest, etc) with 38k miles on it 2 years ago, and it's now at 69k miles.
    I have had the following done: (values in UK pounds)
    middle box on exhaust (100 audi),
    pads and discs and main service @ 50k miles (400 I think?- ouch - independent audi man)
    new starter motor (audi warranty)
    60k mile service (250 - independent)
    cambelt, water pump, tensioner (330 - independent)
    70k mile service (140 - independent)
    New anti-rollbar links and bushes, diverter valve, battery, cleaning of throttle housing (214 - independent)

Add on tyres, tracking and I guess that's about 1900 pounds in 2 years. I have no problem with spending that money on a great car, and after getting the most recent work done at 70k miles, it feels like it did 30k miles ago - great.

Fuel-wise, I think I'm right in saying the 1.8T should be more efficient than the straight 1.8, so personally, I'd say go for the turbo everytime. I average mid-30's for mpg.

Neutral

Status

Just giving u some hope recomdos mate. They are out there, I managed to pick up a '99 A3 1.8T Quattro about 4 months ago for 7000. with 50,000 miles on it.
    Keep looking it'll be worth it.
    From what I can gather, if u are going to go for a high miler, audi has gotta be u're safest bet. Those germans just know how to do it!!!

Reverse Gear

Status

HI, I have a 1998 1.8T Sport which I bought from new. Its on 90K now with no major problems. Had a new clutch and cambelt at 80K, and a flywheel assembly at 69K which was unexpected.
    Have now chipped the car by AMD and it has transformed it. It was quick before but now she flies, much lighter than a T Sport quattro so quicker.
    I need new shocks also, exhaust is still fine so you should have no problems. Have had no electrical mishaps, save the odd bulb blow. The main headlights are not brilliant on the old style units, so go for Omasa Xenon bulbs. These are much brighter.
    Fuel consumption has always been very good considering the performance. When I am careful, it gives 32-35 on A-roads, and I have seen 39 on a long motorway at 80mph-ish!! Round town this can drop to 28. Having the chip done seemed to make no difference, if anything it is slightly better. The only problem is that now it is quicker, you drive that little bit quicker. Insurance was only 100 more, about 20%.
    Upto the facelift in 1999, Air-Con was not standard. An electric sunroof was, and AC was an extra 1000!! I did get this, along with leather, heated seats and CD. Would not live without AC so try looking for one with this as standard.
    Good luck with finding a car. You will not regret it. The build quality is superb. As it has been said before, the Germans really do know how to build a car. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]