Can You Guys Please Help!!

weemarky

Reaction score
Hi everyone excellent forum, can i ask i have purchased a Audi S3 2003 model and im lookin to chip it whats the best?? and reliable options?? AMD Or Star Performance??

Any Help With This Would Be Appreciated

Many Thanks

Mark.....

[ QUOTE ]
Wee Marky said:
Hi everyone excellent forum, can i ask i have purchased a Audi S3 2003 model and im lookin to chip it whats the best?? and reliable options?? AMD Or Star Performance??

Many Thanks

Mark.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome Mark.

Well the two chips (AMD and APR) you're are talking about are two of the top tuners in the UK, so you can't go wrong with either of them. In your particular case (based on the wee marky name) I would suggest that Star performance (APR chip) would be the best place to go, as it's close to home (I'm assuming) and they do have a great reputation with the rest of the Jocks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

There are quite a few other options from other tuners and whilst performance gains tend to be similar, the drive can be different, so would suggest you try as many chipped S3's as you can and then decide and if you can't do this then go on your feeling after doing some research.

I'm sure some of the guys from north of the border will be along shortly to offer advice on Star Performance.

As a side note, have you thought about warranty? Chipping will invalidate your official Audi warranty, but some of the systems on offer allow you to revert back to standard performance if required.

Just to save you a bit of time ploughing through the search engines I've put my choice of top/recognised tuners for Audi's (VAG), and although originally was aimed at chip tuning encompasses general tuning as well, and does have a focus on the UK market;

Most recognised within the UK:
APR - www.goapr.co.uk/dealer/index.html - Good maps and well respected, especially in the US. Just released OBD* tuning. Switchable options using cruise control.
REVO- www.revotechnik.com/uk/ukrevo.html - Good maps, one of the first tuners to offer OBD* tuning in UK. Switchable options using switch (Dongle).
AmD - www.auto-amd.com - More than just a chip tuner, they are a complete tuner unlike many others. Respect. New one-click system offers another option on tuning.
Jabbasport - www.jabbasport.com/Audi/Jabbachips/Contact/contact.html - For those that want to take their tuning that little bit further. Well respected.
* - OBD = On Board Diagnostic. Tuning which is done via the diagnostic serial port located on the vehicle, so no chip replacement is required.

European VAG tuners:
Oettinger - www.oettinger.de or www.roadandsport.co.uk (UK dealer) - One of the longest running tuners for Audi's. A great tuner with a great range of products.
ABT- www.abtsportsline.co.uk/location.php3 - Again a long running tuner with good products. Official Audi chip tuning for The Netherlands, Germany and Belgium amongst other countries.
MTM- www.mtm-online.de or www.qstuning.com (UK dealer) - Well known for good maps with solid performance.
Projectzwo- www.projektzwo.de or www.roadandsport.co.uk (UK dealer) - Again a long runing tuner that's well respected.
SKN- www.skn-tuning.com or contact SKN (UK) Ltd. on www.scottsmototune.co.uk - Not so well known but good products nonetheless.
Upsolute - www.upsolute.com - Austrian tuner, well known worldwide.

Other recognised tuners for chips mainly;
Superchips - www.superchips.co.uk - Regarded as a general tuner offering nothing special, but map on 1.8T does produce good results!
Wetterauer - www.wetterauer.de - Not so well known german tuner, but still heard of. Used in both the US and Europe.
Sportec- www.sportec.ch (Even though covered by AmD) - Relatively new to the UK scene. Good torque figures produced with the maps and satisfied customers.
Powerchips- www.powerchipgroup.com - Hardly ever mentioned on the forums, like Superchips, but look to provide good results. The website is extremely good, and the detailed datasheets provided within minutes of an enquiry are full of info. Available through www.mongooseexhausts.com or www.motorsportworld.co.uk <http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk>

[ QUOTE ]
Wee Marky said:

Many Thanks

Mark.....

[/ QUOTE ]
I had mine done at AmD.

Love the colour of your S3 Mark! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

GOAPR, as their website suggests, especially as you are local. Star will give you an excellent service and perhaps more importantly easy access to backup should it be required. They maps are much the same so far as I can see from the objective evidence, but you get a nice convenience feature with APR of having cruise and several programs accessible from it.

I've had AmD and APR and they are both excellent. I went APR this time as Star is excellent and local...

You took your time David!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now I'm sure Glen will make an appearance soon enough..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Lol!! Yeh Bought from Stafford Audi?? Im In Scotland but loved the colour!! sorry about the massive pic im new to this!! So Star Performance deal with APR chips?? thought they had finished up? website down?? So its not worth the travelling down south to AMD or is it??

So tell me is it a set remap for the S3 sorry for the ignorance never had a turbo motor!!

Thanks Again Guys

Mark....

the starperformance site is working /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:

Now I'm sure Glen will make an appearance soon enough..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You rang? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Can't go wrong with Star Performance for us north of the border types...Jim does a fine job and will do a before and after RR also to prove the gains.

Don't go expecting huge numbers from his dyno though...it's honest and accurate...but it doesn't flatter...if you want some massive and slightly implausible power numbers with which to impress down the pub...you'd best consider going elsewhere to get it dyno'd.

Thanks Again guys off to see Jim 2morrow for a free 6hrs im all excited!! Lol!! Then hopefully back Thursday for the real thing!!

Sweet!!

Marky.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Wee Marky said:
Thanks Again guys off to see Jim 2morrow for a free 6hrs im all excited!! Lol!! Then hopefully back Thursday for the real thing!!

Sweet!!

Marky.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
You'll never want a standard S3 once you've had it chipped! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Oh Yes!! It certainly made a difference im over the moon with the APR chip i have that was fitted by Jim at Star Performance I certainly now have Star Performance!

Many Thanks For Your Replies!!

Mark