Samco Turbo Intake or Oettinger Intake ? Audi S3

s8n

Reaction score
Website
allkris.com
Guys, the turbo intake pipe by samco that apparently improves airflow to the turbo and also fixes on some cars the constriction that happens with chipping..

Does it actually reduce lag and make the car a bit more free reving??

The other option ive seen is the Oettinger Turbo Intake pipe, this pipe I know gives a gain you can feel!! I compared my friends APR Chipped S3 with Oettinger Intake & BMC CDA Airbox, compared to my APR Chipped S3 with Cat Back 2'5" exhaust only and his car was noticably quicker and definately alot more responsive and far less 'laggy'

I contribute this definately to either the BMC CDA (which was sucking hot air in, no cold air intake) or the Oettinger pipe. Considering I have the exhaust, I would have thought my exhaust gains over his airfilter/induction would be contribute to more free reving ability and less lag, but I was wrong!

What I want to do is obtain that same responsiveness without paying the $800 AUD for the Oettinger and the $200 for the Samco, but are the the same thing?? Just made differently??

The Oettinger is a metal pipe and the Samco, the rubber!

Im glad u felt the power as u were so critical about the kw claimed by oettinger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Costa, It doesnt give more POWER.. it gives less lag and better throttle response..less lag means on boost sooner and thats a big bonus for street driving!

Thats what I want to acheieve, but every source so far as said the Samco will do the same.. I just want to be 100% sure!

I just got the Samco hose, and noticed the car performs much better now top end.

Wish i had a boost gauge to see the before and after difference

Mike, did you see any gains low down? Also how is the throttle response and lag?? Is there less??

What model S3 do you have, also do you have a exhaust & chip?

All standard apart from intercooler mods and DV.

She seems to get on to power quicker when I changed the DV and now a small increase on top of that with the hose.

The turbo kicks in at about 2500rpm now instead of about 3000rpm without the hose and DV.

A little lag is still there but once the turbo spins up the power holds.

At about 110mph she used to suffer a bit...........sure it was the hose collapsing.........now passes that with no probs and gets there quicker too.

hmmm ok /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thankyou for that info!! Ive got a 02 model and the standard hose I can sqeeze easily with hand.. its very thin....

I need some more evidence before I go either route yet!!

Come on S3 owners!

Has anyone dyno'd their car post/pre intake pipe?

[ QUOTE ]
s8n said:
hmmm ok /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thankyou for that info!! Ive got a 02 model and the standard hose I can sqeeze easily with hand.. its very thin....

I need some more evidence before I go either route yet!!

Come on S3 owners!

Has anyone dyno'd their car post/pre intake pipe?

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this the pipe you are all talking about?

fmttind.jpg

£79.00 + VAT from Forge Motorsport.

Welcome!

I also want to increase the airbox air intake as this helps reduce lag too apparently.

Have a look at your fog lights and see how they restrict the air flow to the two intercoolers..........I took mine out and that made an improvement too, as it allows the air to be cooled more effectivly which in turn passes cooler air to the engine

Thats the pipe but instead of getting it from FORGE which would be easier for me, I got it from TTStuff.com who sell FORGE products and the hose cost $99 + delvivery which cost me £72.60 all in..............bargin

How many people are looking at getting one of these soon? Maybe we could get a group buy started?

Well Kris its up to u pay $200 get 2kw from Samco

Pay $800 and get at least 8kw from Oettinger I know which one i'd be getting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Why dont u have a run with Dan once he gets his exhaust and compare the cars then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Imola S3 said:
How many people are looking at getting one of these soon? Maybe we could get a group buy started?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be up for dependant on the price...let me know if this goes ahead!!
Cheers

I've just purchased a set of Samco hoses,(the turbo intake and the two intercooler pipes.)

Once I've fitted them I'll post up a mini report.

To be honest I'm a bit cynical over whether I'll be able to feel any increase, as apparently my OE intake pipe has some kind of sleeve fitted to stop it collapsing.

It was simply the fact that they were relatively cheap (2nd hand) and they look nice under the bonnet that swayed me to buying them.

The guy who I bought them of (Bass) said that he could feel a difference once they were changed. Although the difference felt may be down to the original hose collapsing under full boost.

I'll try and get them fitted during the week if not it'll be Saturday, I'll take some photo's before, during and after etc.

Nice one r88per, cant wait to hear the results!! The pics would be good too and more importantly if u experienced any issues whilst installing them!!!

Cheers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

tell me about it.............must have lost a pint of blood from my hands............I hated the removal of the original hose clamps.

Pain in the rear end.

R88per your the third owner! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

i think they are jinxed as each owner keeps selling them and car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

1st sale here

I'll be interested in the results of this one too. Is the oettinger intake pipe available in this country, if so has anyone seen a price? I'll be up for a group buy on the Samco's though as I fear the oettinger may mean selling a kidney!
GBH

Guys, posted this on Audiworld. Theres a TT guy over there who is very good with mods and quite tehcnical, he said the Samco will do the same thing but its the airbox that will give the most gains, he recommened the BMC CDA, a Cone Filter or his TTDA Airbox (he actually hand makes a airbox to suit S3/TT's)

So, ill ditch the Oettinger and go the Samco & BMC CDA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Costa, I most certainly will. We are as quick as each other once moving, he just gets off the line better due to less lag.

Guys, if your intrested in this TTDA Airbox, search Audiworld for TTDA or TTSchwing

GBH,
Yes, I think RSD still stock the oettinger intake pipe I think it retails for around 350 quid incl vat. Their number is 01295 750651. Not sure how good it is or more importantly how easy it is to fit.

Looking into this more, it appears there are some issues with fitment of the pipe, engine vibration because it does not flex and also issues with sealing around the turbo inlet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Seems like Samco & BMC/TTDA is the go!

Costa, do you have dyno charts to back up yours and Oettingers claim of 8-9kw?

Maybe Oettinger mean '8 to 9kw of power reCOUPED if you have the old intake pipes that collapse?

If not, unless you can provide sound evidence to prove your claim, your are contributing nothing to the discussion.

If you can prove your claims, then I will spend $800 aud for 9kw, hell 9kw is more then most cat back exhausts give you for double the money.

There is no doubt in my mind that both the Oettinger & Samco pipes increase throttle response and decrease lag by improving the airflow to the turbo, as to HOW much we do not know. I believe most of Daniels gained are attained by his BMC Filter.

See this link for more info:

http://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1013246.phtml

Both those guys are very knowledgeable, and unlike others have dyno charts, vag charts and so on to prove the effectiveness of modifications.
Click ttschwings signature for his home page that has the charts..

I dont need to prove jack to u what sort of question is it to ask me to get the dynos. Go down to Mullers and get them urself ive seen the evidence/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/****.gif

i know for a fact that Oettinger spend millions in R&D and they basically invented the 1.8T engine for Audi so they know what can and cant be done to the engine/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

No skin off my nose if u dont get it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Actually i think its better if u dont get it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
XXX 1.8T said:
I dont need to prove jack to u what sort of question is it to ask me to get the dynos. Go down to Mullers and get them urself ive seen the evidence/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/****.gif

i know for a fact that Oettinger spend millions in R&D and they basically invented the 1.8T engine for Audi so they know what can and cant be done to the engine/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

No skin off my nose if u dont get it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Actually i think its better if u dont get it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Few things:

Power qouted by people means nothing unless its proven.

So now Audi actually invented the 1.8 Engine? Intresting, can you prove this too? Your words are nothing more then
convoluted rubbish unless you can prove what you say...

Better? Why because you think you HAVE a chance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Its people like yourselves that spread misconceptions, I am more than happy to believe you if you can provide some background on your claims

[Moderated]

hahaha u kill me mate

I love it how u contradict urself

The proof is there at 999 canterbury rd lakemba waiting for u /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

didnt u know i am the Oettinger God /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

[moderated]

Do you own a S3? no
Do you own a S3 with Oettinger intake pipe? no
Do you have graphs stating power of a intake'd S3? no
Do you a S3 with a Samco intake? no
Have you driven a S3 back to back with a Samco & a Oettinger intake? 99.9% more than likely not

Tell me how you have a clue about this topic again so we can get this discussion back on track?

I really like the S3 and was close to buying one until u showed up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

not only u give people grief in the forums in oz u have started overseas too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

as i said before the graphs with gains are waiting for u at oettinger (Pauls also waiting to show u /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif)

Please Kris buy the Samco pipe so then i can see Dan whip ur ***. He doesnt even have an exhaust and he whips ur *** /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

And i think its funny how u got a 2.5" catback system on ur S3 as well

its funny I spoke to someone u know who has driven back to back the pipes and reckons the oettinger is a nice investment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

There seem to be a few Sandy Vagina's in this thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

s8n, ease up a bit Dude, Oettinger as a company has been tuning VAG engines for a long time, and they did indeed have a 1.8T long before VAG developed theirs. One of them is sitting in the front corner of their Friedrichsdorf offices if you're ever in the Frankfurt area. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Costa, lighten up dude /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif WE know the quality of Oettinger's products, but let others make up their own minds and mistakes. And I mean, honestly, aren't Oettinger products kinda expensive? Not saying you don't get what you pay for, but I'm of a mind that if I can get "Comparable" performance gains, at half the cost, then so be it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now, while semi-on the subject, how well do Samco hoses hold up over time? I know the Oettinger intake is Aluminum (or is it Stailnless?), and the Samco Silicon. So, could it be that the Oettinger will hold up better? And would the "Joints" where the Oettinger pipe uses silicon fittings cause disruptions in the air flow that the Samco would avoid?? Does the Samco even fit on a K04?? I've personally only seen it for K03's, but since I've an A3, I really haven't looked at K04 parts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Ladies ladies... put those handbags away! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

To be honest, I cannot see how Oettinger intake pipe can give a 4 fold increase over the Samco hose. They are of the same design but made from different materials.

So the question is not about the manufacturers who are both well respected in the tuning world, it comes down to what material you want your intake pipe made of - stainless steel or silicon.

For me, Samco's silicon hose at $150 delivered to the UK versus Oettinger's stainless steel option for $350 + delivery is a no brainer for something that does the same thing.

Just my 2p! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Drill, do you have information relating to WHO deleveoped the block?

A few points:

Silicon is great at holding back heat, thats why the Samco is using Silicon.

Metal is very ridgit, that means the Oettinger hose would not flex as well with movements on the Engine as the Samco.

The Samco has better fitment over the K04 Inlet then the Oettinger , Rubber hose over a metal inlet will seal better than its metal counterpart as there is no constriction around the inlet with a clamp using a metal hose

The Oettinger does have fitment issues (k04 inlet side) and also air turblence issues the Samco doesnt.. due to the Oettingers two piece jointed construction. These have been confirmed by Oettinger TIP owners on Audiworld.com (just do a search for Oettinger Intake Pipe)

Regarding the longevitiy of the Samco, how long do you think a Intercooler hose would last? Or a rubber fuel line? definately easily well beyond the life of the car with me as a owner.. The same goes for the Oettinger.

K04 & K03 have the same inlet diameter...No fitment issues have been reported on the 225HP version of the inlet pipe. There are fitment issues with the 150hp version on some Golf cars with the Samco, but I don't have a Golf, nor is my Turbo a k03 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The more I research this, the more the choice becomes obvious. I am ordering my Samco tip on Friday...

Everyone..............CHILL!!!

Personal choice at the end of the day.

Had the Samco hose on my S3 for a week and a bit now and I love it. Have checked clamps etc and everything is holding on fine.

For £75 or $134, it increased my engines performance to deliver and keep the power going, bottom and top end at an affordable price. Must have had the none modified original hose.

Hey Drill i think Kris wants to see pics of the Oettinger museum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kris I welcome u to get the Samco at the end of the day u get what u pay for

[moderated]

Kris, be a trail blazer and not a keyboard warrior - it's not everyone else's job to provide evidence for you and make up your mind for you!

put your money where your mouth is - sometimes you just have to find these things out yourself, but you've been in an S3 with the oettinger pipe and you were impressed...

so stop procrastinating /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
s8n said:
Costa, It doesnt give more POWER.. it gives less lag and better throttle response..less lag means on boost sooner and thats a big bonus for street driving!

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
s8n said:Has anyone dyno'd their car post/pre intake pipe?

[/ QUOTE ]
Is a dyno going to show this very well? You will see a different shape in the curve, but it sounds like something that can only really be tested with a "bum dyno"

[ QUOTE ]
s8n said:Thats what I want to acheieve, but every source so far as said the Samco will do the same.. I just want to be 100% sure!

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously, we're not talking about huge sums of money here - go the samco and if it's not what you expected then on sell it and get an oettinger pipe. I'm sure if the oettinger pipe turns out to be a dud you could get a refund...