What optional extras are essential when buying a used S3..?

Tekin

Reaction score
Just wanted to ask for your guys opinions on what is a 'MUST HAVE' or what optional extras you should look for when buying an S3 i.e heated seats, sun roof, sat nav etc etc.....? :)

I think a sun roof is a nice touch, makes the cabin look bigger

sat nav can be retro fitted if you really want to so i wouldnt be too fussed about that, it's the same with cruise control.

as for heated seats, personally i don't like them, always makes me feel like i've had an accident but each to their own.

id say heated seats (if you have full leather) are a must anything else is a bonus

for me its ... full leather, heated seats, ali wing mirrors. bose is ok.

would avoid sunroofs not a big fan of them tbh they encourage rust in other areas if not maintained correctly.

also I dont see the point in oem sat nav

IMO - Bose (but then i'm not fussed about aftermarket ICE), Leather/Alacantara (not as slidy as leather on cornering), armrest (saves trying to find a decent match retrofit item) and Ming Blue paint as its the fastest colour ;)

If I was to buy again I'd go for part alacantra part leather. Also I'd get a moddified one with suspension, ARB's and remap and possibly an exhaust oh and 18" wheels

Mine has just got 4 wheels,, and heated leather seats i find them nice on a cold morning all i need lol ..
Im not fussed on sun roofs either, but mine dont have an arm rest id like one but they seem expensive ..

thanks for the advice guys, this is the spec i would desire- A 225 face lift model either ming blue, silver or black - Black leather heated seats, sunroof and bose upgrade - do you think its possible to frind this for a 10k or under with millage lower than 70k? Also is it possible to get heated alcantara as they do look kind of nice!

oh yeah i forgot to mention an arm rest is a must!

I wanted leather/alacantara first off but my car came available at the right price so i couldnt say no mine has got white leather ...

Now im used to i think id rather it ..

Mine has got Bose, arm rest & CD changer. I'm happy with those three and I've never regretted not finding one with a sunroof, satnav or heated seats.

im happy with just the cd changer although i would like armrest and 18's.

i had heated leather in my previous car (mk4 golf) and i only ever turned the heated passenger one on to make the person sweat. its funny when they dont realise it

Tekin said:
thanks for the advice guys, this is the spec i would desire- A 225 face lift model either ming blue, silver or black - Black leather heated seats, sunroof and bose upgrade - do you think its possible to frind this for a 10k or under with millage lower than 70k?

Possibly - if you're prepared to wait long enough and go far enough. Be careful as there seems to be a lot of dogs about.

Tekin said:
Also is it possible to get heated alcantara as they do look kind of nice!

I don't know if that combo was available, but TBH I wouldn't worry as you don't need heated alacantara anyway, they're snug and toasty enough anyway ;)

media1.jpg
:cool:

I am prepared to wait and travel far. What do you mean by be careful as there seems to be a lot of dogs about? As in dodgy people who seel CAT D cars, cut and shuts and fake millage etc?

for me, a sunroof was essential. It lets in extra light ona sunny day, and makes the inside feel bigger, also a light leather interior to have the same effect.

satnav wasn't an issue before - but i wouldnt buy one without now.

Multifunction steering wheel - didn't even consider it before, but again, you get used to it very quickly, especially with an ipod link... the next track button is in danger of getting worn out!! Wouldnt buy another one without it.

reversing sensors - couldnt have cared less before, but now, as everything else, i can't live without them. I see people fannying around reversing slowly into spaces that take me 5 seconds to park in now. Not just for the missus!

auto dimming rear view - got one, wouldn't get another one.

heated seats - stops people in short skirts complaining of chapped lips when its cold out.

bose - got it, probably get it again. Not brilliant, but acceptable.

chrome mirrors - purely a taste option.

Tekin said:
What do you mean by be careful as there seems to be a lot of dogs about? As in dodgy people who seel CAT D cars, cut and shuts and fake millage etc?

This isn't personal experience, it just seems like recently there has been numerous posts from prospective buyers in a similar position to yourself who have been to visit cars in 'excellent condition' and reported back that they have been tatty inside or out, service history missing, not as described etc etc.

If you're prepared to wait and visit a few then i'm sure you'll find the right motor, I looked for about 4 months before taking the plunge on my chariot :)

madvw said:
Multifunction steering wheel - didn't even consider it before, but again, you get used to it very quickly, especially with an ipod link... the next track button is in danger of getting worn out!! Wouldnt buy another one without it.

I can definately see the benefits but personally I prefer the 3 spoke wheel.

madvw said:
reversing sensors - couldnt have cared less before, but now, as everything else, i can't live without them. I see people fannying around reversing slowly into spaces that take me 5 seconds to park in now. Not just for the missus!

Couldn't agree more!!

madvw said:
auto dimming rear view - got one, wouldn't get another one.

Ditto.

madvw said:
heated seats - stops people in short skirts complaining of chapped lips when its cold out.

ROFL

madvw said:
chrome mirrors - purely a taste option.

Just be careful that no-one robs 'em!

Thanks for all the help and advice guys, It's going to be tricky finding a good spec...ill just keep looking untill i come across one! Need to get one within two months ive prolonged it for ages now! If anyone does come accross anything decent please notify me. Thanks :D i usually look on autotrader and pistonheads but nothing there that i fancy well there is but too expensive for me! :D

Heated seats, ali mirrors and Bose. They are the 3 I would'nt want to get rid of on mine, the car is quite decent spec as standard. The rest I can manage without.

Heated seats and cruise would be only things on my list. Bose if you won't fiddle with aftermarket, as non-Bose is dire.

Leave the mirrors if you live in an city designed for the odd horse and cart like mine, plastic is cheaper to replace when they're whacked, and they don't get nicked. Also IMHO the chrome ones look chav.

Arm rest doesn't work for me as I don't like the contorted position you need to get your arm into to work the handbrake - I always feel I'm missing a joint mid forearm when I get loan cars with the arm rest. If, like me, you live in a hilly place you need the handbrake - 'sides new clutch is big money.

Hi Mate...

When i first started looking for one i set my spec very high, i wanted a 225 with 70-80k on the clock for 8-9k, with Bose system, leather, heated seats, rear parking sensors, All the 225's i saw with that spec were rubbish, all had issues, i ended up going for a 210 with 60k on the clock with bose and leather, its the best one i saw by miles and was the cheapest!

If i was you go see a few and go for the best car not the best spec and dont be put off the 210.

My opinion.

Cheers

Knobby.

When i was looking my thoughts were:

heated black leather seats: Ended up with heated cream/silver and love them! I dont know what people are on about when they say they slide about on the full leather, i have no problems and love a country road blast as much as the next guy (might be soemthing to do with the 14stone though!)alacantara can be prone to bobbling, so watch out for that too.

18inch RSTT's: Are a real must unless your going to go BBS etc inthe future, 17's look very plain imo.

Sunroof: Wasnt aware it was an option when I was looking, but i do miss it from my old car.

multi-function wheel: again wasnt aware of it, but now that i have it, couldnt do without it, pricey option too.

Bose : Its pretty good for my needs, standard setup isnt great. Double Din is a must for me too, saves faffing about with loading CD's in the boot and allows easier retrofit of satnav.

Alloy mirrors: Personal taste but i love them and make the car stand out even more. Have to be geniune, none of this ebay pish! I do worry about them getting stolen or kciked offwhen i leave the car in town etc.

Reversing sensors are for girls!

Satnav and cruise control can be fited at a later date if desire. so no biggie.

225bhp BAM with less than 50k for under £12K. ended up getting this for under £11k so was a happy bunny! Had to travel to London from Edinburgh but was definetly worth it.

Can you tell the difference between the Ebay mirrors and geniune then???

Much more important to get a good machine, don't be too picky with crap like Bose, ali mirrors and wheels. They can all be easily upgraded later on.
Get the right car with the right interior & the right history and worry about the "nice to have's" later on.

The cambelt change is 60k on the clock or five years whichever comes first so don't be fooled (Audi changed their original 112k cambelt change)
My mate has a tt with all leather seats and they seem a bit slidey compared to my alcantara when cornering at speed......I agree with andymac as its true them extras are easy modded

To be honest none of them matter really.

Mine has got the double DIN in dash 6-CD chager, 18 inch 9 spoke alloy wheels, centre armrest, aluminium door mirros and cruise control.

I think the 18 inch rims and the silver wing mirrors are the most important options because they make the car look better.

Also I dont like the two tone alacantra seats at all. All black leather is best.

Get the right machine!! I ended up with a '99 265bhp with full history Bose and heated blue/black alacantara,with 6 disk stereo I put in myself. Took me 3 months of looking. Arm rest I would like and will find one on E-bay one day!!I also got RSTT's in 18's which finished it off nicely! Just want the face lift rear lights and I will be well happy!!

In my mind the arm rest is top of the 'avoid at all costs' options.
If I want a luxo-barge, I'll buy a Lexus...it gets in the way if the handbrake and when changing gear when driving quickly...I simply wouldn't have one at any cost.

Essential...nothing really, as you can add what you need.
Get the best car you can...FSH etc....although in my mind the Alcantara interior is far better if you press on as the seats grip you rather than let you slide.

Good to haves, sunroof if you like them - I do. I prefer a sunroof cracked open to let in fresh air...and it lets light in too.
Heated seats if you live in a cold area...they are great, and you can get them with Alcantata.

BOSE is good if you tweak the settings - pretty dull as standard.
CD Changer handy.
Cruise good if you do long runs or live where there are lots of cameras.

18" wheels are a personal choice...you can easily add them.
I wouldn't pay extra for the quattro GMbH suspension...you'll probably dump it anyway...nor would I for RS4 style wheels...unless they are perfect and have new tyres...as you can get a deal on 18" wheels and tyres.

Modified cars wouldn't put me off either...as long as they had dyno plots to prove the mods and state of the engine, and were carried out by a reputable tuner.

knobby said:
If i was you go see a few and go for the best car not the best spec and dont be put off the 210.

I'd say a facelift 210 is the best option. There's no real difference in performance, they'll remap the to the same level, and the 210 will be cheaper to insure.

I find it hard to believe that an arm rest is a key feature when considering a car.
S3's are sporty hatchbacks not laid back automatic Rovers :no:

I would rather buy a first class condition, low mileage, full service history car than an average one with a few over priced goodies.

.....oh, thats what i did :)

Nik.

I love my arm rest, would'nt be without it now.

Can't believe there's so many granny's driving S3's, if you can't support the weight of your own arm then you need medical help not an S3!

I can, its just relaxing to put it on the arm rest and leave it there. Its hardly a ferrari and i'm not Michael Schumacher.

AndyMac said:
Can't believe there's so many granny's driving S3's, if you can't support the weight of your own arm then you need medical help not an S3!
:laugh: @ 'grannys'

I'm still waiting to find my ideal spec, but can't seem to find many S3's with a pipe holder and slipper warmer!

If I bought an S3 today with an armrest, I think I would remove it, then put it back on come resale.
Optional extras wise, I think Bose, CD changer, ally mirrors and heated seats all aid resale value, but I don't think they are essential, the Bose out the box is crap, today's CD changer is an Ipod, you will find your ally mirrors on ebay about a week after they are stolen and as for heated seats, yup, that's the most essential optional extra, as no one on this earth has found out how to install some afterwoods.

jeez, didnt know there were so many variations really!!

Im just looking for a low mileage one, preferably facelift, would like leather and bose, but not too bothered about the rest of the spec!!

Surely armrests aren't too hard to get hold of, and the other things don't bother me that much!!

Do the facelifts have cup holders? they are where its at!!

rub a dub said:
Surely armrests aren't too hard to get hold of, and the other things don't bother me that much!!

Do the facelifts have cup holders? they are where its at!!
Armrests are surprisingly expensive.

Facelift has a single 'pop-out' cup holder in the dash. In addition, you can buy a plastic insert which fits into the arm rest giving you another two cup holders (when you flip the lid of the arm rest open). And there are two circular depressions in the lid of the glove box where you can stand a drink - but it isn't held there. So that's 5 in total.

Some people also don't realise that whilst the arm rest by default folds horizontal, you can fold it further down by pressing the button so that it points down towards the gearstick - which is a much better position. When I first had my car I hated the armrest, but having now learnt to drive using it.