Engine management light

Big_Al_A3

1st Gear 1st Audi \o/
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
My engine management light came on today on my way to work, in my 2001 a3 1.8t. The manual says that I should take it immidiately to my nearest audi dealer but is this something that most garages can check or just audi dealers? I would like to find a garage close to where I work as I'm not able to get out of work during the day for a while which is when the dealers service dept are open but if most garages can do this that would be great and probably save me some money aswell! I work in Redditch and drive through Bromsgrove each day (west midlands) so if anyone around the area can reccomend somewhere friendly near there who can check this out then bonus brownie points ;)

Cant recommend anywhere m8 (Brighton) but mine don the same a week after purchase,
ended up being the brake light switch so dont get too worked up m8

Just an update as my cars been looked at, the fault identified and it gets sorted tomorrow morning. I ended up taking it to my local dealers (beechwood audi) and as i'm quite happy so far with what they have done am giving them a free bump. Turns out it was running "lean" caused by a split in some hose somewhere, apparently it was a minor split but enough to cause the engine to run "lean" but i didnt get charged for the 15mins to look at it and find that, and only £20 for the part and £90/hr for the labour which they dont think will take more than 45mins but im happy paying this as they were helpfull and friendly and i'm happy that its being done by people who must know what they are doing (and have an r8 for me to drool over while the work is being done)