Massive thank you to the Phirm

PorkyWill

Reaction score
I've used them for years and they are very well known amongst the VW 'scene' but probably not as well known among the Audi drivers...

I thought I would just write about the work they have done to my S3 over the last two days. Basically my front wipers had totally seized and the car had a major over revving problem. So much so that when you let off the go pedal or depress the clutch it over revs by up to 1500rpm. Don't be confused between this and holding the revs, this actually over revved. I've heard this is a mapping problem but Tim wasn't so sure and wanted to have a proper look...

He took my wiper assembly off the car and stripped it down, as suspected it had totally seized and was all rusted up. So instead of replacing he just cleaned the existing unit completely, reassembled and hey presto, turbo wipers again!!

He then had the car on the road with the laptop to look into the over rev, according to the laptop, the car says 'idle' as soon as the clutch is depressed so it was something different, safe to say I have no idea what he did, but it invloved a lot of trying this and trying that until the problem was solved. This is the kind of knowledge only a true expert would know.

He then went on to fit my Forge TIP, fix my Bose stereo as only a couple of speakers were working and the disc changer didn't work either, bond the trim back onto the bottom of the driver's door where it had started to fall off....

and the best part.....

Custom made my a vent mounted boost gauge!! He has taken the existing air vent and carefully cut a circle out of the vents, plastic welded a black plastic ring into the space and mounted my gauge!!

Next on the list is my quote for a GT28RS, fully fitted, so FMIC, downpipe, high flow cats...the lot...I'll let you know what the drive in drive out price is.

As I have said, I have used the Phirm for years and cannot fault their work. They have worked on all my cars from 1970'2 beetles to Golk GTis, Polos, Audis etc. what they don't know aint worth knowing, as they say!

If anyone needs a reliable, honest and hard working VAG servicing/tuning/part fitting/anything doing(!) workshop in the south east then I cannot recommend them enough, my S3 is like a different car now and turned around in 2 days!

Tim works 6 days a week 15 hours a day and loves his VWs as much as any enthusiast!

Give them a bell!

01428 608 480
Based about two miles off the Hindhead traffic lights/crossroads on the A3 in a village called Churt...

Will

Thanks for the Recommendation Will,
only ever heard good things from these guys.

Yep there all good boys down there.. I've never had any problems.. Used to take my Rallye there..

The S3 will be going there in a few weeks.

PORKYWILL - You had a remap done there?

Cheers

Knobby.

Heard great things about these guys from performance vw. Spoken on the phone a few times too, very helpful.

The remap was already done on the car when I bought it, but they will do the turbo upgrade and all other work now it's in my hands...

They do work with PVW, gets them a bit of extra exposure...and PVW cheap rates lol!

Will

Yeah man the Phirm are quality down there they have had my S3 down there and previously my mk4 golf aswell. Total knowledge, hard working and just very nice people who i totally trust and would be always be first on my list for work. Big up the Phirm

Good to hear some good reports on a garage in the area. I'll definitely take the S3 and the Ibiza down there when they are next due some work.

jcs356 said:
Good to hear some good reports on a garage in the area. I'll definitely take the S3 and the Ibiza down there when they are next due some work.

Good news mate!!

They are very very busy so best book in advance...

Oh and do be absolutely sure you plan your route as 99% of people will get lost lol!!

PM me when you are going as I go down there a lot as they are mates of mine now after all the years. We could meet and I'll lead the way lol!

Will

Tim is just finishing it off and wasn't happy to let me have it back til it was perfect so he's kept the vent and gauge and I'll pop down next week to have him fit it in.

I'll put some photos on here of what it looks like. Should look exactly like the SWG item that they do...I'm sure he'd be happy to do the same for others if you post the gauge and vent to him.

Will

i contacted them about fitting a 1.8t engine into a lupo , prices were quite reasonable , there work looks very good ,

PorkyWill said:
Good news mate!!

They are very very busy so best book in advance...

Oh and do be absolutely sure you plan your route as 99% of people will get lost lol!!

PM me when you are going as I go down there a lot as they are mates of mine now after all the years. We could meet and I'll lead the way lol!

Will
Cheers for this and I'll bear that in mind when service time comes. I've done quite a lot of cycling in the area and although I haven't been down their road before, I have a rough idea where they are.

Car is in there at the mo. And yes, I did get lost (mainly because the postcode on streetmap.co.uk is about 1/2 mile away from where they really are!).

Did you make it up the horrific track to the entrance? I took ym car up there at standard height and was scared.

Now its at -50 i have no idea how I will get it in there!

Judging by the look of the track, I think it is in the process of being relaid so not too bad. Just some really deep drain channel running across the slope.

Having said that, when I was trying to find them I did try driving up a track to a farm where the map said they were. I got 10 yards down it at snails pace then reversed out. I concluded there was no way there was going to be garage up there!

At least i know where they are now!

jcs356 said:
Car is in there at the mo. And yes, I did get lost (mainly because the postcode on streetmap.co.uk is about 1/2 mile away from where they really are!).

Yep i know that feeling!!!!! i remember the first time I went down there and my misses was following and we got totally lost and had them come and find us!!! what work are you having done?

I did start to panic a bit as I tried to ring them but they didn't answer. So just drove the entire length of the road looking up every side road and track. Unfortunatley for me I was coming from Elstead way so it was right at the other end of Hyde Lane. It's much easier to find if you come from Hindhead.

Work is - 60k service plus fitting new adjustable rear tie bars, new discs and pads all round, and an MOT. Also consider clutch/flywheel options - but I think I'll get that done at a later date when funds are looking better.

I'm confused by this whole dual mass flywheel vs. single mass flywheel. There seems to be lots of conflicting advice with garages pretty much contradicting each other. So going to sleep on it and make a decision in the morning.

Looks good, but how do you get out of there if you need to leave your car for a while?