A3 1.8T Sport - Wind Noise through vents?

Floob

Reaction score
Hi,

Just got an S Reg (1998) 1.8T Sport and find that going at about 60mph+ I can hear what sounds like a wind noise coming through the top air vents - passenger side mostly.

Is this normal, anything I can do to minimise this?

Thanks for any ideas.

Floob.

check its not the window not being full up, hold it either side of the door frame and pull it up to make sure its all the way up! mine did the same its a common fault that one of the brackets that pulls the window up brakes. if this is the case PM me and I'll send you instructions to fix it

Thanks very much for your reply, I will go and double check that.
I was thinking it was something else because I thought that the noise wasnt coming directly from the window.

I have just had the motor replaced in the driver side window as it didnt go back up at all - the dealer fixed it before I picked it up.

I'll let you know if it pulls up some more.

Floob.

Well, I've had this looked at, at a couple of places and it appeared to be the door frames.

Here is an excerpt from the invoice:

Wind noise from N/S/F, both door frames require adjustment, scuttle. Panel trim insecure may require new screen trims poor fitment requires re-bonding with screen (auto glass) remove and replace both front door trims and adjust frames.
Attention:
Screen trims side poorly fitted
Scuttle panel trim insecure
Chip in Screen

The work they have done has vastly decreased the noise, but it still needs something done with the trims under the windscreen. I think??

Update:
Noise seems to be back after I drove around a bit, have my door frames shifted again?

Strangely the noise disappears if the air conditioning is on. I can clearly hear it stopping and starting when air con is used.

Mine does the same!

I'm thinking personally that it's air being forced through the air con unit at speed, hence the whining noise.

When you turn the air con on, it's allowed to flow freely, so the noise goes away.

Think about it, air must pass through some part of the air con system when the compressor is off, because air can still flow with or without the air con turned on.

Hi Hi,

Mine does this but only when I have the ECON on... on the climate control. If the aircon is on I don't get the sound increase when I go faster. Dont know if that helps any but you may want to check that the ECON LED (light) is working... especially if your getting the rushing sound but there is no ECON LED on.

Cheers