Definitive consensus on 19's on an S3.

Reaction score
Ok, i'm currently running 18" OEM RSTT's on a standard handling car. In a few months they're likely to need new tyres together with a refurb as the last owner has scuffed them to within an inch of their life. I'm happy to do this as I like the OEM look, however the temptation to go to 19" replica RS6's is constantly in my mind (look chunky/easier to clean).

I've read numerous posts about 19's which all revolve around the following:

1. They're heavy and 'destroy' the handling.
2. They bend easily (my old A3 ones did but that was 5 years ago!).
3. The ride comfort is heavily compromised.

What I want to know is are these true enough to warrant not 'upgrading' to 19's? I'd like to hear experiences from people who have moved from 18's to 19's in regards to the above. I don't do huge mileage and rarely drive over 8 tenths so they're more for 'show' than 'go' but I don't want the handling to be 'destroyed' to quote some other threads.

I'd also be keen to see pics of S3's on 19's with standard suspension, preferably the standard -10mm springs that come on later spec S3's, as I wouldn't want to have to invest in suspension upgrades to avoid being tractor like.

Comments and advice much appreciated :)

I have 19's on the S3 just now, but not with standard suspension.

Cs3n-1.jpg

In terms of weight, they are heavier that the standard items and will have an effect on turn-in and they'll hamper the way your suspension works. I guess it depends on how hard you drive - I could tell the difference between BBS 18's and replica 18's. I haven't noticed too much detriment to the handling other than weight. Good tyres help, but it also comes down to the road you're on. If its bumpy then 19's ain't good. If its smooth, then they're better. All my own opinion.

An alloy wheel will bend if its made out of cheap nasty material - or not in the case of the B5 RS4. No issues with mine yet.

The ride is compromised. You have a lot less sidewall to cusion the ride, so if you're driving on british roads you'll need to get used to the harshness.

Cheers for comments Chris. I like the way your arches hug those rims, certainly looks the part. The roads near me aren't great so I suppose ride quality should be my biggest concern, especially if the added harshness causes rattles and squeaks.

Anyone else?

BBS LM's 19 x 8.5's (with coilovers) - they won't bend/break or be heavy at all if you buy decent wheels (not cheap cast alloys off ebay), they should be stronger and lighter.

Ride will be effected obviously due to the lower profile tyre, handling - personally I prefer the 17" Standard ronals, I think the car handles great with these on and is very predictable, I found 19's somewhat sketchy but they do grip - less forgiving is the word i'm trying to find. :)

I've never had anything but 19s on my S3, use to it I suppose, but it still rides pretty good with Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs, it was not bad on standard suspension also.... I've also tried an S3 on coilovers and standard 17" Avus rims, and it was more bouncy than mine!

You woudn't by any chance have some pics of it when it had 19's on and standard suspension would you?

Woah, those Radius wheels were cack.

I still like your Porsche reps more than any other wheel out there on the S3 (except maybe LM's but then thats because I'm a VW whore).

Dave_Bayern said:
Woah, those Radius wheels were cack.

They came with the car, when I bought it from Birmingham Audi. You really have to see them in the metal Dave, they were very BLING!(and ****** heavy!), but I bent 2 of them(front 2) whilst jumping a humpback bridge in the S3(Yes, I was 4 wheels off the ground!) after 2 weeks of owning the beast. :racer:
I still like your Porsche reps more than any other wheel out there on the S3 (except maybe LM's but then thats because I'm a VW whore).

Yup, still pretty original after 5 or so years haha. :cool:

i went from 18's on standard suspension to coilovers then to 19's so its hard to tell what it would be like 18's to 19's on standard suspension.
but my thoughts are this, if your looking to drive the wheels of the car and track it to its full potential then 17's 18's are the way to go, and the lighter the better (unspung weight is BAD). but if like me you drive pretty fast but you want a certain look then 19's are fine the ride is ok and will not wake the kids. the handling is fine but im running coilovers and uprated abr's with a 50/50 split on power front to rear.
if your going for 19's and dont want to drop the hight then adding spacers will give the car a lower look without a futher compromise on ride..

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/r15tar/

Thanks for the replies chaps!

ChriS3 said:

I was concerned about the ride height on 19's with standard suspension but that looks alright to me, despite the cack wheels ;)

S3IZZO said:

BBS LM's 19 x 8.5's

Just the wheels I have been looking at, not sure now thought! :(

You got spacers on there S3IZZO?

Good call Funky_Junky the wheel thing has been on my mind too, great timing! :)

Jampublic said:
Just the wheels I have been looking at, not sure now thought! :(

You got spacers on there S3IZZO?

Good call Funky_Junky the wheel thing has been on my mind too, great timing! :)

Yep had H&R 10mm spacers on the rears.

I've got to say though, S3 riding on 19s with Bilstein/Eibachs combo is not as bumpy as a standard Honda Integra Type R DC2, nor is it as bouncy as an Evo FQ300/320, just to give you an idea.

Was gonna say, the not too high comment was odd, looks like its a 4x4 to me!

Not that noticable on the front but the back looks like its jacked up!

Dave_Bayern said:
Was gonna say, the not too high comment was odd, looks like its a 4x4 to me!

Not that noticable on the front but the back looks like its jacked up!

I disagree, but I suppose its subjective. Also, I have to cover 9 huge speed bumps before I get to my house so lowered suspensions is a no go.

Funky_Junky said:
I disagree, but I suppose its subjective. Also, I have to cover 9 huge speed bumps before I get to my house so lowered suspensions is a no go.

Just want to add that I have had no problems with navigation any speedbump yet with my Eibach lowered S3 on 19s - touchwood