Gear linkage problem

m0cea

Reaction score
I've just purchased an A3 1997 1.6 which has had a slight accident, anyway in due to the accident the gear linkage has seperated at the pivot point at the end of the gear select shaft so I cannot select a gear. The problem is I cannot get the two points back together is there a setup procedure to be able to get it back together again.
It's doing my head in to say the least so if anyone can help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

None of the linkage looks bent at all!

Any chance of a pic dude? Just wondering, as it's easier to figure out if you can see it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I think it might be easier for you to just replace the linkage (If indeed that is where the problem lies) I got a TT linkage for my A3 (Only works on later models though, sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) but it only cost me something like €20 so they're not expensive. Try getting the part number off of the linkage and either check out your local dealer, or maybe try contacting www.vagparts.com

Hope you get this fixed dude /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I have just fitted a Neuspeed Short Shifter on my S3 which replaces the original gear linkage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But now I come to think about it - the S3 gearbox is 6-speed and so I assume it's a different linkage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Are the linkages the same folks or is my assumption correct?

Sorted the linkage problem out the steering rack has moved the only problem now is the mounting on the rack has broken off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif