Got 15k to spend, and cant find a decent S3!

vishal

Reaction score
Hi All,

Well, i thought i could keep away, but after 3 S3's, im potentially looking for my 4th, however after trawling the autotrader, pistonheads, etc.... i cant seem to find one with low miles (sub 35-40k) with nice extras (sunroof, sat nav, chrome mirrors, 18" alloys etc) ive been looking for weeks, id like a silver or black, with either silver or black leather, the ones ive seen are right dogs, there is an "54" plate advertised on autotrader in arctic blue, and with 28k, you should see the state of the car, total mess.

So heres the question, with my 15k, the R32, and M3 even become contenders, what are your thoughts on the R32?? I like it more than the M3, just a bit concerned about consumption, i do approx 50-60 miles a day

Apologies for rambling on a bit, but just some advice from you guys would be appreciated

Many Thanks

Having worked for VW and driving Arthers on a daily basis, I found them very bland, boring and heavy compared to the S3. The V6 sounds lovely but just didnt do anything for me

Plus on them EVERYTHING seems to be the wrong side of £150 if it breaks, even the little things

I prefer the VW, the interior is 1000% times nicer and newer and better looking than the now dated S interior, it has a 24v VR6, which for the UK, is a proper engine. Remember, there is no replacement for displacement.

They are heavy, but throw the same money at upgrading the R32 as you would with the S3, and you'll end up with a better car.

From base it has better interior, newer exterior looks, a bigger, better engine, more power and better brakes.

They are also far nicer to drive, no turbo, so proper N/A throttle response.

Want to make is SUPER fast, then stick a rotrex supercharger on it.

The M3 has an image problem, but its a great car.

you guys are right, the S3 interior wise looks very dated now, not many keepers have looked after the leather, and now most cars look pretty worn out, even if they have done sub 30k. I drove a R32 today, and the power was amazing, handling wise was good also, im due to drive a M3 tomorrow, the one im looking at is fully speced, sat nav, TV, comms pack, PDC etc....

Just not sure what to do really...

I always found Arthers to be flat and boring weather old or new, and that was pretty much living with one day in day out, rarely seemd out of one for about 6months

Which shape M3 are we on about here E46 I'm guessing? it has over 300bhp which ever one you are looking at, no contest lol, how does an S3 or R32 compete if in the same price bracket?, unless 4wd traction is a must for your needs?!

vishal said:
So heres the question, with my 15k, the R32, and M3 even become contenders, what are your thoughts on the R32?? I like it more than the M3, just a bit concerned about consumption, i do approx 50-60 miles a day

If fuel consumption is one of your needs, I have to say you are not looking at the right car, none of the above will give you over 25mpg... well, the S3 maybe, if driven like a grandad.

How about a Golf Anniversary GT TDI, then remap it? 40mpg and reasonably quick!

ok, so it seems that the R32 compared to the S3 is a lil sluggish? not as nimble? i kinda got that impression when i drove one today, what do you guys think of another S3? Has to be mint, with low miles, anyone know of any for sale? And as for the M3, is it a bit overdone now would you say?

Its really personal choice, best bet is to try them all, block out other peoples opinions and decide what you think works best

All well and good me not liking the R32s, but some people swear by them. Swings and roundabouts. You seem to have a soft spot for the S3s

Ive been already to see that car, for the price, i believe it to be under spec somewhat, no toys on it at all, and the interior on the car is a total mess, the leather looks like a whale has been flapping about on it, on all my cars, i treat the leather every 2 weeks, and hand polish each week, doesnt seem to be many guys out there that take care of thier cars the way i do

15K? me i would put in a few more k and get the mk 5 r32. they start from 18k. or even the mk5 gti from 14/15k

An e46 M3 for 15K would be 100% better than a Mk5 though. Even at the same money.

Mind, a Vishal driving an M3 in London, not exactly out of the ordinary is it ;-)

I've owned both. The R32 wins hands down every day of the week. Mk4 Golf by the way. :)

steebo888 said:
or even the mk5 gti from 14/15k

thats exaclty what i was going to say - id get a white 3door MK5 GTI :jump:

Remap, miltek exhaust and some lowering - perfect! :idea:

I wouldn't spend £15k on an 8L S3, you're going to lose lots on it!

If you've had 3 S3s already wouldn't you fancy a bit of a change? Variety is the spice and all that, and who knows if the S3s turn out to still be better you can come back to what you love next year!

I was in a similar position a year or so ago-I was also looking at S3, R32 & BMW 330 Clubsport rather than the M3- I just happened to notice this A3 3.2 QS (which I later bought) sat at the VW dealers when looking at an R32- the car had been put in against a new R32 as it was three years old-for me its a bit understated beside the R32 and is basically the same car, I also like the interior better so I went for that-might be worth a look-all comes down too personal preferance but for me I liked the low down grunt rather than the S3 which needs to be driven a little harder to get it going. Happy hunting & keep us informed on your choice...:icon_thumright:

Wes G said:
I was in a similar position a year or so ago-I was also looking at S3, R32 & BMW 330 Clubsport rather than the M3- I just happened to notice this A3 3.2 QS (which I later bought) sat at the VW dealers when looking at an R32- the car had been put in against a new R32 as it was three years old-for me its a bit understated beside the R32 and is basically the same car, I also like the interior better so I went for that-might be worth a look-all comes down too personal preferance but for me I liked the low down grunt rather than the S3 which needs to be driven a little harder to get it going. Happy hunting & keep us informed on your choice...:icon_thumright:

Re: S3, R32 & BMW 330 - these are on my list of possibles, I certainly wouldn't pay 15K for an S3 now but maybe 10 or 11.
For 13-15k a 330 or an A3 3.2 seem to be good bets, a 15k M3 would have quite a few miles on wouldn't it?

Has anyone who has driven both got an opinion on the 8L S3 vs A3 3.2? The Mk5 R32 may be better but its at least 5 grand more.

Main thing that would put me off with the M3 is its image or the way other road users see them-a friend of mine has one and it seems that every idiot on the rd wants to race you or cut you up,also I`ve lost count of the amount of times its been keyed or kicked...With regard to the S3 & 3.2 its really a matter of personal choice-both are great cars but are very diff to drive-I dont really think one is better than the other,just diff-you need to just go and have a drive in the two and make a choice from there...:cool:

The M3 for me is a defo no go, and the R32, well, it just seemed a lil heavy, and even though its a nice drive, the S3 just seems more exciting, anyway, ive come across this, few nice options, think i may have found what im after, hoping its as clean as he says http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/247485.htm Please do let me know what you guys think

Sounds ok to me, selling price would be between 12-12.5k. Only fitted options by the description is sunroof and heated seats.

make sure servicing has been done on time, rather than mileage basis. Again, cambelt/pump/tensioners still needs to have been done regardless of milage. A 2002 car with this low mileage should have had a minimum of 3 AVS services, 1 brake fluid change, and 1 haldex fluid change.

Yes, thats about what id offer to be honest, 12-12.5k, and ill keep an eye on the service schedule also, its a deal if it has bose and a centre armrest, chrome mirrors would be a bonus!!!!

Just confirmed the car has chrome wing mirrors, centre armrest, but NO BOSE! Arrgghh, can i buy the bose set up anywhere? and have it installed if need be??

you can, but it's more ball-ache than its worth.