Engine management light on, help me help a friend!

Prawn

My other car is a MINI!!!!
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
hey guys, im posting on behalf of a mate with a mk4 golf Gti, AUM 150 bhp engine, 5 spd box.

he bought it on my recommendation a few weeks ago, and recently the engine management light came on.

he had it checked at his local VW dealer, they came up with the following faults:

1. Long term fuel trim, Additive air bank 1, system too rich
2. Camshaft position sensor/crankshaft position sensor incorrect allocation

any ideas guys?
VW told him they couldnt tell what it was without a further diagnostic session at £60 an hour.

im thinking possibly MAF, coilpack, or lambda sensor? causing the richness, but no idea whats caused the camshaft sensor to go wrong.

the cars done 100k dead on, and has been looked after perfectly, ran like a dream when bought. seems mechanically one of the better ones around.

any ideass guys? the dealer cleared the fault codes once last week, and they took about a week to come back. is it still safe to use?

Prawn have you tried posting this in the VAG.COM section, where the proper tech heads hang out! ;) I've have seen the 1st fault when my MAF was playing up, does he know anyone to swap it out and try another?

Has the cambelt been done recently? If its been done incorrectly and the timing is out then you get that camshaft sensor error.
Had my cambelt done and ended up with the camshaft position sensor error because they had put the cam belt timing one tooth out.

If it is the cam sensor i've got a spare one, which I bought and didnt need as the timing was out.