Is this normal? Steering wheel position

Perplexer

Reaction score
I had a front nearside spring changed under warranty a while ago and since then I have been trying to convince myself that there is something different about the position of the steering wheel.

If I drive on a normal straight road where the camber falls from right to left then the car will put slightly to the left and the wheel is slightly higher left side up.

If I drive the car on a straight road where the camber falls from left to right (rare unless you are driving on the wrong side of the road) the car will pull slightly to the right with the steering wheel a little higher on the right side.

On a straight road that has no camber the wheel is totally level and there is no pull.

Is this normal? I am trying to say it is, but my head is saying other things.

02 S3 btw

Emmmm hard to tell but sounds normal.

On a side note - i hope they didnt just change one spring or your car will be sitting lop sided (perhaps why you think the wheel is sitting abnormally)

rodenal said:
Emmmm hard to tell but sounds normal.

On a side note - i hope they didnt just change one spring or your car will be sitting lop sided (perhaps why you think the wheel is sitting abnormally)

yes - springs take a 'set' over time

every single audi ive ever been in has pulled slightly to the left, same with mk4 golfs.

no idea why, but no word of a lie, we have 4 in the family, and all do it, even after being tracked, my mates all drive audis, and they all pull left too!

Yep I agree with Pawn they do pull to the left..I had a 4 wheel allignment and it still did it

Thanks for the replies.

But is the position of the wheel normal on the different cambers?

Think they only changed 1 spring.

Yeah well if your running on a largeish camber the wheel will be pulled a little in the direction of the camber, normal i'd say.

Go back down there and tell them to change the other spring too, they will know fine well it should really have been done

Cheers

I will give them a call but I know what the answer will be.

Going by the book springs should be changed in pairs, as shocks should, But most of the time it doesnt happen.