Thinking of selling the s3!

edward_harris

s3 gone now a shiney red evo 6
Reaction score
hey guys i no ive spent loads on the s3 but im only THINKING of selling it! Want something abit more roar, went to trax recently and saw a evo 6 going round the track! Was so loud and unbeliabley quick! But to be much quicker than mine i guess ill have to run about 400bhp! it's either that or go to the bigger turbo for my car! not sure what to do atm!
What sort of price do you guys think i could get for mine?

Audi s3
x reg 2000
49000miles
Aps work 360bhp

i say your mad, why spend so much money if your not going to keep the S3 and enjoy it. audi is far more classier, refined than an evo. plus in a evo you get boy racers trying to race you, the car is more nickable, is not as comfy, higher insurance, needs servicing very few thousand miles and the list goes on!
depends what you want really but im not spending loads of cash on my S3 for the simple fact that when i want something faster, something that wil handle better i will put my money into a car which ticks all the boxes, the choice is yours Edward

campbell said:
in a evo you get boy racers trying to race you

i think thats half the point! Edd doesnt seem to care all that much about being classy and refined, he just wants a REALLY fast car.

which the evo is.

Well what a waste of money, you'll never get back what you've spent. You must have known you weren't getting the fastest car on the road when you embarked on those mods?

Come on man, get a grip!

it may well me just as fast Aky, but its fun edds after......

my audi is miles faster than my mini, but its not even 10% of the fun.....

seen it coming a while back
buy a V6 clio

haha, no.

dont buy a vlio V6, thats beyond fun, its just lairy!

i think we all knew edd would end up selling the S3, after his continous comments about it feeling slow!

go get yourself an Evo5 edd, it seems the most raw and outspoken of the evos.

get it out of your system, and we will see you in about 3 yers time :) when you will be after a more respectable sensible car again

GO ON ED
untitled-8.jpg

yea right!!!!!!

like a sodding french car could ever compare to this:

239720-5.jpg

currently being sold by a mate of mine in scottland for £8300

Surprised to say the least. Still each to their own. I've run and EvO 6 and it was awesome but did get tiresome in the end. Nevertheless the boss has got an evo8 340 had some work done and it pushing 420 at present with a few more tweeks 450 may be an option. The funniest bit is that it is laying down 660lb/ft of torque...yes 660lb/ft of torque. I thought he was lying but supossedly not. With the trick suspension it now drifts more and can be provoked harder. Bought the car for 15k spent 5 k and has a sub 5 sec car close to 4 sec and pulls to 170mph!!!

However second Campbell's motion.

Good luck!

i do love evos myself and was contemplating in selling my audi S3 and buying one, i like the evos 6 even though the white evo 5 on pistonheads looks mint i must say.
they do seam cheap to buy seeing there isnt a lot of mileage on them!?
i have been in an evolution with 400bhp and it was very very fast, gives you a feel like your in a go kart, a lot more fun than the audi as the audi is refined and does things more quietly!

HIgh insurance, high risk of getting jacked and potentially fragile without serious internal work over say 420hp.
Ed, dont know if yours is all it should be, mine's been very quick indeed.
0-100 in 11.6 secs is quick in anyones books! 13.2s quarter at 109.25....?!
0-60 in 5.2, 60-100 in 4th in 6.01......!! These are serious figures for any car, particularly one as relatively understated and refined as an s3.
Have you had yours rolling roaded or tested it for performance suing a proper datalogger yet....? Think if its making the power it should, ie all running ok, it should be a proper quick car in anyones book.

But then maybe everyone whould drive an evo once in their life....!?!?!?

but an mtm rs4 thats the best of both worlds excepet the heafty price tag.but you wont have to pay out on mods on it.:scared2:

i no it's alot of money down the drain thats why im only thinking about it! Thinking more power for the s3 but thats another £4000ish no point spending more on it! so i dont really no what to do atm! I would only sell the s3 if i got somewhere near £13 - 14000 for it. Which i no is unlikley but to someone who was all that work done to one it isnt!

evo 5 does look good, really i would want a evo 8 or 9 but there not that quick standard! unless you get a fq 400! was also looking a skylines! really i would like to get the s3 quicker to around 450bhp then i think that would be enough but atm they are just to heavy for 360 bhp!

edward_harris said:
I would only sell the s3 if i got somewhere near £13 - 14000 for it. Which i no is unlikley but to someone who was all that work done to one it isnt!

Dreaming TBH.

well i got the car for £11000 a year ago, so now with all that work and extra £2000 - £3000 isnt alot really, to the right person i think they would pay that!

OK, so depreciation after one year, and mods count for nothing.

Pet hate of mine is people spending x amount on a car and then assuming its worth x amount more, thats not the case, very few mods add value.

I have a brand new turbo on my car, does it make it worth more? no!

no but people will pay for brakes suspension, haldex, if i had of seen my car the way it is now,when buying it i would have brought it instead of doing all the work!

edward_harris said:
no but people will pay for brakes suspension, haldex, if i had of seen my car the way it is now,when buying it i would have brought it instead of doing all the work!

Are you sure?? Don't forget, most people will have no idea what the benefits of these thigns are (rember some of your first posts?), and most people won't want a modified car as its a certain sign that the car's been thrashed.

most people no what brembos are and how much they are worth! Im thinking more along the lines of someone i no because they will also no i dont thrash it! it only gets used weekends and thats mostly around town! Even tho it did have knocking noise it's all be sorted at APS with a new bottom end rods etc! so that shoud never be a problem!

You can get Brembos secondhand for £450, and even if you bought yours new, they will be secondhand if you sell them...

I've got fully adjustable coilovers, ARBs, exhaust etc, in fact, I have more uprated parts on my car than you have on yours, and I STILL wouldnt expect it to fetch more than 4K, because thats what the base car is worth.

I wouldnt buy a 14K car off someone clueless if non modified examples went for 10-11K and nor would I expect anyone else to.

um well i see what people offer i guess! so how do you work out you have more uprated parts on yours than i do anyway?

edward_harris said:
um well i see what people offer i guess! so how do you work out you have more uprated parts on yours than i do anyway?

Because I did every single bit of work on my car, so know what I bought, how it works, how it fits and how to fix it if it goes wrong.

You asked someone else to do yours, and you told us all what it was...

dosent mean you have more uprated parts, and i have a recipt for every nut and bolt etc used on my car! have you got a uprated haldex controller, uprated air intake hose? rods?

Ed as I see it you'll be lucky to sell your car at all to anybody outside this forum.
I don't know too many guys who would buy a car so stretched (mechanically) as yours, the insurance alone would be a killer for most young guys.
I DO see where you are coming from, you spent X over the original price and you would expect to recoup that in some way.
Just don't see that happening mate. A lot of people will walk away from a chipped car thinking it's been hammered, for a car that has been almost rebuilt they would run away unless of course they knew the history.

Hope you get something decent for it and go buy an Ariel Atom, then your pretty sure of beating everything else out there.

Ed - I guarantee I have more 'uprated' parts than you, however, that is neither here nor there.

You will NOT recoup even 1/3rd of the money you have spent on modifying that car unless you find the right buyer.

The right buyer would have to be an idiot. Someone who will pay over the odds for a car where the seller doesnt actually know what parts have been done and more importantly 'why'.

That said, find your generic Ford RS owner and you'll have yourself a sale.

If they ever find this forum you will never sell it due to previous comments by you.

Most people, and I remember saying this before you even got the work done, will not spend 5K plus without thoroughly investigating what they are spending their money on.

Its yellow, full of ICE and you are in your 20's, so even if you didnt thrash it, people will assume you do, so the price they are willing to pay will drop accordingly.

lol, ill probally end up keeping it tbh, i would just like something like a evo or a skyline! i think i might get her running 440ish bhp!

I know what you are thinking, as the second I finished my upgrade I wanted more power.

The Evo would have more power and be a better drive.

10K would get you a REALLY cool American muscle car, it wouldnt handle but it'd be awesome.

Or a pre 89 911, they are only 200Bhp ish but it'd be easily a comparable drive compared to the S3 as you have it currently.

Loads of options for the price, but you'll never get any money back on what you spend on the S3, but if you buy something thats already old but a classic, like a V8 muscle car, or a 911, they depreciate very little.

not really into american cars, want something jap! would like to get evo / skyline thats already upgraded! i do no of a evo 6 running 388 bhp for £12000!

Someone near me has been trying to sell an MTM S3 (350BHP) for over a year and has had to drop the price month after month. It's a beautiful car, but it just won't sell.

All your mods were for your benefit (so try and enjoy them). They'll do nothing for your resale value.

monkeytrousers said:
Someone near me has been trying to sell an MTM S3 (350BHP) for over a year and has had to drop the price month after month. It's a beautiful car, but it just won't sell.

you see, thats great news for me :)

im doing a ko3S upgrade on my A3, and once finished, its going to be quicker in a straight line than a remapped S3.

despite that, once i can afford it in a year or two, i still want to get an S3, but going from my A3 to a remapped S3 will be buying a slower car.

im planning on paying not alot for one of these BT S3's that simply wont sell.

everyone says that buying a BT S3 is a bad idea because its clearly been thrashed, but im only going to thrash it myself, but ill look after it just the same.

anyone whos prepared to spend £5k on a big trurbo conversion, and add all the suspension and brakes needed to cope, is going to know a bit about cars (apart from our dear friend edd :)) so will obviously look after it!

im hoping to take advantage of this in about 18 months time, and pick up a mint BT S3 for a fraction more than a standard one :)

...and who couldn't see this coming?

Everyone told you it wouldn't be 'that' fast anyway.
I'm bored of all this...if you want something faster, sell your S3 and buy it...at least we'll not have to listen to you daydreaming out load anymore.

tbh, this is exactly why I haven't even bothered remapping my car. I know from owning other cars that the desire to go further never ends, and you never really achieve the satisfaction you're looking for.

Keeping this in mind, I just treat my s3 as a good looking comfortable car.. not a hillclimber, bahn-stormer, strip racer nor a time machine, although 88 mph is possible...

For real life threatening shits and giggles, I propose to do it in the proper way, and get a caterham superlight when I finally trade in the single garage for a double one. Then I get to build my own coffin.