Maintanance apart from servicing

nik patel

Reaction score
Website
www.simplydents.co.uk
Hello People:meeting:

I have just cleaned the throttle body which was quite easy from looking at other posts showing how its done. I would say it definately worth doing.

Just wondering if theres anything else like that which is quite easy to do that is worth while doing. My car has done 98k.

Unless the car drives oddly or there are any noises/bumps/rattles just do your regular servicing and dont worry about it lol.

in my opinion you should change the fuel filter, gearbox oil and diff oil

These are not done on any service, which is just stupid......

Fuel filter is under the body at the back on the drivers side.

The Diff and g/box oil, use Silkolene SYN 5 fully synthetic GL4/5 gear oil, available from Opie oils, you'll need no more than 4 litres to do the lot, but get 5 just to be sure

at that age it should have the oil pump replaced and the strainer cleaned out. Not a simple task though.

oh yeh I forgot, I had the above done just for piece of mind. However, the pump, strainer and sump had virtually no gunk or residue in at all. Got mine done at APS in Brackley, wasn't that expensive at all.....

jonS3 said:
you should change the fuel filter, These are not done on any service

Be worth checking with who ever last serviced your car if this has been done or not, as we always replace the fuel filter at every service.

yeh, I had new sump gasket, sump retaining bolts and sump gasket fitted at the same time (also had new thermostat and coolant, but that actually needed doing :p

Dan i got someone to change it 2 years ago, so i thought i will do it myself this year as i undertake the oil change, pollen filter, air filter, spark plugs etc myself.

Yep, its easy to do and doesnt cost much. Definately worth doing at every service.

Looking to find a reputable mechanic to change the Oil in my Auto Trans. A3 as a non-service item, any ideas? Berkshire area...