greetings from america..

patrick swayze

Reaction score
i'm about to become the proud owner of a 2000 a3 1.8t, registered legally in the states.

the car has a few issues i need to immediately sort out that some people here could possibly assist with.

here goes;
1.) the passenger window is very slow to go up, and can not fully close this seems somewhat commonplace but what is the reccomended cure?

2.) the gauge cluster is nearly inoperable, the center mfa section works but none of the gauges function..i believe i've found a rebuilder here in the states that can rework it for me but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

3.) i'm going to need a replacement door molding section for the drivers side quarter panel section. any ideas on how and where i can source that piece?

4.) does anyone know if the brake sizes are the same as the mk4 golf/jetta? most iof the specs i can find online seem to say that they are but id like to confirm it if possible.

i am so excited about starting this little restoration/ customization project as this has been my ideal car to own one day for some time now but i have never had access to one living in the us.

this is also far from my first vw/audi, ive also owned a 11 sec. qrt mile mk4 1.8t, an 8v mk3 gti, and a mk3 gti vr turbo that i just recently parted with.

thanks in advance :rockwoot:

1. Search on here for 'electric window fix' should sort it out.

3. Audi dealer?

4. Yup the same.

You'll find its pretty much the same car as the Mk4 1.8T.

Where in the US are you?

Dave_Bayern said:
1. Search on here for 'electric window fix' should sort it out.

3. Audi dealer?

4. Yup the same.

You'll find its pretty much the same car as the Mk4 1.8T.

Where in the US are you?

i'm in illinois.

i've considered the dealer but as its not a us market car im not sure what my luck will be. does anyone have access to the part numbers for the molding?

Like mate,

I am considering shipping my A3 (2000) to the states, good to hear that it is legal over there...do you know if they needed to do any modifications to make the A3 legal? and is it right hand drive?

Clach said:
Like mate,

I am considering shipping my A3 (2000) to the states, good to hear that it is legal over there...do you know if they needed to do any modifications to make the A3 legal? and is it right hand drive?

the previous owner took care of the hard stuff. i do believe there is some red tape involved with legalizing the car.
i'm pretty sure it originally was purchased in south america, but anyhow it's left hand drive.

Hi! (my wife loved you in Dirty Dancing).

:sadlike: It will have to be emissions tested. I know beccause I tried to ship my Kawasaki (UK bike) into the states when I relocated!! Its the same bike as the one in the US! It was standard too. The people that do this basicly rape you. At that time it was $4,000 to do this. That was a company called Wilson Environmental, .... If I got a letter from Kawasaki UK stating that it was the same bike the customs offical might buy it, but its up to the agent that accepts it at the port of entry! If not they can sieze it! Maybe a grey importer can help you, just my 2 cents! Oh and that was 7 years ago too..

carbster

Yeah, once you import it you are stuck between a rock and a hard place I suppose...!!! Shame really, would have liked to take the car with me...

Thanks for yer thoughts,

Clach