vagcom.

nickaudi41

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was thinking the other day that if I wanted to do a VAGcom check on a car I wanted to buy, how can I check for faults if they have been cleared that day?

From doing it on my S3 I know that once a fault is cleared it takes a while to come up again, why is this and how can I check for cleared faults.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

alright nick, soz nothing to do with your post but what are you getting next then? not doing the IHI on the s3 now?

any permanent faults will return straight away, for example the standard issue fault of the batteries in the alarm sounder will return as "alarm - horn, no communication" untill the alarm is renewed, a momentary fault such as "maximum boost level exceeded" will clear.

if the fault still exists (such as a torn TBB) then as soon as you drive the car quickly that will return so the best plan of action is to scan the car, save the faults, clear them, rescan to confirm they've all gone and then drive it and finally rescan it.

some faults that you might pick up on a first scan could have been there for ages though, for example, if you change a battery you'll get a low voltage fault but obviously once cleared it shouldn't return.

Gosh I have been missed, how sweet!! lol

Yeah been so busy at work and so tired in the evenings just wnted to sleep.

Im back....

If the codes have just been wiped, then the readiness check will fail for the catalytic converter. The others may pass quickly, but the cat check requires about 15 miles of driving.