Selling the S3 - what next?

monkeytrousers

Reaction score
Well I have decided to move on from the S3. Had it over 3 years and loved every second - but fancy a change.

For my next car I am thinking 2004 plate M3 or S4. I want a bit more room in the car. Which would you choose and why? Are there any other cars in the same class as those that are worth considering?

Alternatively, I have been impressed with modern diesel engines so a 3 series or A4 is a possibility although clearly not the same experience as the M3/S4.

Cheers all.

The B6 S4 is a nice car, a little soft but very nice. It would be a good step up from the S3. Obviously the BMW would be a better drivers car, but the ones I've been in lately just didn't seem that nice inside. Both have good engines!

Personally, I'd go with the S4 just because it would be a nicer thing to live with.

I'm having the same issue where do I go after my S3????

What year was the B6 S4 in production?

Although the S4 is a 'nice' car...it's a poor relation of the RS4.
I'm afraid I couldn't live with an S4 knowing the RS4 is vastly better in all areas.

The M3 is a great drivers car...if you don't need the 4wd traction for bad weather, it's a serious car.
I'd be tempted to stretch the budget a bit and look for a CS...

Failing that...some idea on budget and need for seats etc would make compiling a list a bit easier.

M3 or 330d(remapped) would be my choice,infact one of them will be my next car.

Just bought a 330cd sport and would definately recommend one

Excellent performance with excellent fuel economy!!!

How about an Evo? 4 doors and big boot, you can nearly pass one off as practical! And they go like a ****** missile. Went out in a mates yesterday for the first time, 550bhp and I think he said about 540ft/lbs, it was unbelievable, I've never been in a car that can go round corners so quick in life! I know what my next car is going to be :w00t:

Ess_Three said:
Although the S4 is a 'nice' car...it's a poor relation of the RS4.
I'm afraid I couldn't live with an S4 knowing the RS4 is vastly better in all areas.

The M3 is a great drivers car...if you don't need the 4wd traction for bad weather, it's a serious car.
I'd be tempted to stretch the budget a bit and look for a CS...

Failing that...some idea on budget and need for seats etc would make compiling a list a bit easier.

Budget £25,000 max.
Ideally I'd like the car to be no more than 3 years old.
Average mileage.
Saloon preferred - definitely needs rear seats and a decent boot.
Will NOT consider Japanese cars like Evos, Subarus - not my thing.
Want it to feel like a step up from my 2002 S3
Will buy from trade only
Will probably part-ex the S3

List so far is S4, M3, 330i, 330d.

Cheers all.

I have exactly the same thoughts at the moment but can't bear to part with mine at the mo
Glens right but unless your one of them lot up in Aberdeen sitting amongst mountains of money :laugh: then S4 is a realistic target
Diesels have come on leaps and bounds but you'll be left wanting if you get
one

PS oh and I think Jap cars are ****!! (sorry Olly)

Why not consider the jap cars? Because they look cack and have cheap plastic?

If its a driving experience you're after the Evo is WORLDS better than 99% of cars on the road today.

Dave_Bayern said:
Why not consider the jap cars? Because they look cack and have cheap plastic?.

It's an image thing. My car is now used to visit customers. And I don't want to drive down the street with a growling exhaust, huge inlets in the bonnet and tail fins.

If it was all about speed and performance I would be going for Jap cars. But it's not what I'm after.

Dave_Bayern said:
Why not consider the jap cars? Because they look cack and have cheap plastic?

Probably...but so what?
I wouldn't have one parked on my driveway (an Evo or STI etc) bacause thay are brash, tacky and have an image problem.

If its a driving experience you're after the Evo is WORLDS better than 99% of cars on the road today.

Indeed it is, if going flat out is your only concern.
Evos are very impressive...but sadly a bit of a one-trick-pony.
They are fantastic at going sidewards, big powerslides, full hooligan mode...but crap every day...they are harsh to sit in, noisy, and draw far too much of the wrong sort of attention.

I would not want a silly pumped up saloon with a offensive 4" exhaust, rock solid suspension and awful image as my only car...and certainly not one I'd transport my family in - to the point that I think people who have Evos and kids should be charged with child cruelty!

As I say...deeply impressive pieces of kit, fantastic to drive at 90%+...but ultimately far too compromised as an everyday road car, in my book.
The running costs are also a joke...

I've been to look at a 2006 330i M Sport this morning although can't test drive until mid-week as dealership was busy. Looks gorgeous.