flywheel

abdus

Top Gear
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
anyone recommend a flywheel please (apart from the standard one)?

PS: not too expensive :p

car audi a3 1.8T AGU engine, also upgrading the turbo to a k03s and getting a remap

You have the 02J 5 speed gearbox?

It should be as its AGU anyway.

You can't replace the flywheel without also replacing the clutch as the dual mass flywheel uses a solid pressure plate, so you'd destroy the engine by fitting a single mass flywheel and not doing the clutch.

Anyway, you can replace the clutch with a Genuine VW Sachs clutch from a VR6 which gives you a maximum of 400Bhp, 300ft.lbs, the clutch itself brand new from the dealer is £130.
You also need the clutch bolts, which are about £2 each and whilst you are doing the clutch, you might as well replace the rear main oil seal.

Bascially, total price will be £200 inc VAT from dealers.

This then give you a sprung pressure plate, which means you can use a single mass flywheel.

I can personally recommend a flywheel from an ABF or G60 Golf, get it lightened and balanced and it makes for an amazing car.

The clutch is lighter than standard, and the lightened flywheel makes a huge difference, both in rotational inertia and clamping, the car is a LOT nicer to drive.

You need to source your own flywheel, I just grabbed one off an old Mk3 Golf ABF engine and had the work done, the lightening is around £70 including post to and from the guy thats does the work on ClubGTI.

So if you find a cheap flywheel, you can have a better system than even uprated clutch kits for under £350.

Thanks Dave...all info I needed...

:)

just need to look for the parts then...

Dual mass looks like a normal flywheel but with an eccentric cam stuck on the side, basically the roation of this when engaging offsets the clamping force so it feels like a smooth transition.

A single mass uses springs in the pressure plate to absorb this force, so is slightly harsher.

That said, because of the way the dual mass is designed it cant be lightened or indeed even turn very fast in the grand scheme of things.

Using the system I described above is similar to a Mk2 Golf gear change, so harsher than the standard Audi change, but couple it with a lightened flywheel and you get faster 0-60 times, a quicker change and faster reving.

lol, I deleted my post...

been reading on google, there will be more noise and vibration with the single amss though?

There is supposed to be, but the guy who I used to do the lightening is a genius, and I have no more vibration than the standard system.

abdus said:
did a quick search on google:

so this should be ok then with the appropriate clutch kit, the VR6 one?

http://www.jabbasport.com/product_fulldetail.asp?ProductID=142

Yes thats it. But the price is a bit high.

Not sure on dealer prices, but I got my ABF flywheel for £50 (ABF and G60 flywheel are the same part) and then got it lightened for £70.

Also, mine is 5.5Kg, so a full kilo lighter than that one, which is LOADS when it comes to flywheels.

ah ok, so I can get a used one too...

nice one

Cheers Dave :)

You could take a chance, whats in the kit?

However, although LUK are good, Sachs are better, and if you buy from a main dealer, you have the option to shout at someone if its wrong, and the main dealer also offers £20 cash back if you return your old clutch....

it states Clutch Kit...was going to phone tomorrow

But I guess the dealer option sounds better

:)

Wow, epic 4 year BUMP there dude!

To answer your question though, no. The VR6 / ABF setup is for 5speed 02J cars only. Sorry

just what i was going to say im poshing 300+ bhp and cluch is on its way out